News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

In Stev13jay's opinion

Started by Stev13jay, November 02, 2011, 08:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Quote from: JulietI just think the whole "battle of sexes" thing does a disservice to everyone.
Me too!  And I speak as one who has been happily married for over forty years.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Stev13jay on November 05, 2011, 12:41:00 AM
Well it seems like I've been getting a few questions on here. I thought I might try to ask everyone on here a question. As atheist what is everyones opinion on gay marriage? I've debated my wife about this we are both atheist and share different opinions about this subject. So let me hear all yours. Thanks for your time.

The government shouldn't have any say in whether or not a couple can marry, and it shouldn't have any say in who the church is obligated to marry.

*submits to congress for approval
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Stev13jay

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on November 06, 2011, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Stev13jay on November 05, 2011, 12:41:00 AM
Well it seems like I've been getting a few questions on here. I thought I might try to ask everyone on here a question. As atheist what is everyones opinion on gay marriage? I've debated my wife about this we are both atheist and share different opinions about this subject. So let me hear all yours. Thanks for your time.

The government shouldn't have any say in whether or not a couple can marry, and it shouldn't have any say in who the church is obligated to marry.

*submits to congress for approval

I'm 100% agreeing here just because "your" church say some people can't marry doesn't mean it should affect everyone.

Stev13jay

Well one thing that isn't as touchy, I want to ask everyone is in reference to decriminalization of drugs. In my opinion all drugs need to be decriminalized, in a world that has access to the information everyone has at least in the US. In school (public school) I was taught about all drugs there affects and how addicting they are. We have libraries all throughout the US you can look up books and use the internet to do all the research you want. Also if you've ever watched television they play enough anti drug commercials to make you think that everyone on a street corner is selling drugs. So enough of my ranting, on to my question. If crack was in legal and sold in stores would you buy it and use it? This is a serious question I use it for debating people, I believe if your an informed person you can make the informed decision about using drugs. Im not saying for people to go out and use drugs but if your informed know the risks I think they have the right to make the informed decision themselves. So let me know what you think.

DeterminedJuliet

I think the problem that I have with drugs is that some (most?) of them are highly refined, highly concentrated and highly processed. I don't like eating refined sugar, so I can't see me going to the grocery store and buying some cocaine, even if it was available.

To elaborate, I would never try heroin, but if I could get some old-fashioned smokable opium, I'm sure I would try it. If you smoke too much opium, you fall asleep. If you take too much herion, well, you die. Marijuana, shrooms and those kinds of things I have no problem with, either, and I think regulating them in a proper market would be beneficial in a lot of ways. If weed were taxable, the government could make a ton of money!

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Stev13jay on November 07, 2011, 01:14:45 AM
In my opinion all drugs need to be decriminalized, in a world that has access to the information everyone has at least in the US. In school (public school) I was taught about all drugs there affects and how addicting they are.

There is a ton of misinformation on illegal drugs shown in public schools, as their goal is to discourage people from using them, not give a proper education on the matter. It won't matter if the government were to legalize and regulate something as addictive as, say, methamphetamine, because the ruthless pursuit of the high would not be contained within legal boundaries. Drugs need to be legalized firstly based on their physical addiction status, that is to say how addicting a certain amount of the drug is. Caffeine is physically addictive, but the powers that be at Pepsi are not allowed to dump as much as they want into each can to keep it legal, so in a way this regulation is already enacted and shown as effective. Second, there would need to be a way to rank them on the adverse health effects a certain amount of the drug has. If there was an agreed upon way of ranking how dangerous a drug is, I think there could be a legal limit set on how much of what would be available for purchase. Throwing all drugs in the same boat of legal/illegal seems like a potentially dangerous proposition.

Stev13jay

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on November 07, 2011, 05:27:50 AM
Quote from: Stev13jay on November 07, 2011, 01:14:45 AM
In my opinion all drugs need to be decriminalized, in a world that has access to the information everyone has at least in the US. In school (public school) I was taught about all drugs there affects and how addicting they are.

There is a ton of misinformation on illegal drugs shown in public schools, as their goal is to discourage people from using them, not give a proper education on the matter. It won't matter if the government were to legalize and regulate something as addictive as, say, methamphetamine, because the ruthless pursuit of the high would not be contained within legal boundaries. Drugs need to be legalized firstly based on their physical addiction status, that is to say how addicting a certain amount of the drug is. Caffeine is physically addictive, but the powers that be at Pepsi are wwnot allowed to dump as much as they want into each can to keep it legal, so in a way this regulation is already enacted and shown as effective. Second, there would need to be a way to rank them on the adverse health effects a certain amount of the drug has. If there was an agreed upon way of ranking how dangerous a drug is, I think there could be a legal limit set on how much of what would be available for purchase. Throwing all drugs in the same boat of legal/illegal seems like a potentially dangerous proposition.

Well I do like your idea about the regulations you mentioned, also I agree with the guy above your post (sorry I didn't get the s/n im using my phone) about the taxation and creating funds. In California marijuana is there most profitable cash crop, so there's definitely money to be made. Also I read that 50% of americans think we should legalize medical and/or recreational use of marijuana. Beside the point the grading of the drugs on how powerful they are and how addicting they are is a great idea. Also regulation on how potent they can be sounds good. But on the other hand some drugs might just be to powerful to legalize. But like the one guy said opium, mushrooms, marijuana and I think there was one more I don't remember but I do think at least these few drugs need to be legalized, taxed and regulated. I would like to thank both of you for your input.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Stev13jay on November 07, 2011, 07:16:33 AM

Well I do like your idea about the regulations you mentioned, also I agree with the guy above your post (sorry I didn't get the s/n im using my phone)

Gal  ;) Its'okay
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stev13jay

Well here comes another touchy subject, I don't even know if ill get a response but I wanted to get peoples thoughts on abortion. I know this is touchy to a lot of people but I want to hear what people think and why.

Davin

It's when a pregnancy is deliberately terminated. That is what I think about it because that is what it is.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

MinnesotaMike

Relevant:

As a person, I don't think the government should have any say in what's legal (in terms of abortion) during the germinal stage of prenatal development. As a male, that's as far as my opinion goes on the subject.  :-\

Asmodean

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on November 09, 2011, 07:09:25 AM
As a person, I don't think the government should have any say in what's legal (in terms of abortion) during the germinal stage of prenatal development. As a male, that's as far as my opinion goes on the subject.  :-\
The government is exactly who should get that finger out of their ass and legalize it, actually. In the US, make it a federal law, perhaps..?

Who do you think should have a say in what is legal and what not when it comes to abortion? The individual gynecologist? The religious leader? The individual parent?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

I'm pro-choice and having a baby has actually made me more pro-choice.

Carrying and delivering a baby is a huge strain on your body (I broke my tail-bone delivering my son). There were a couple of times, when I was pregnant, in which I thought it would be utterly barbaric to force someone to carry a child that they didn't want. It's not a light thing to say "oh just have the baby and give it away" - having a baby was one of the biggest psychological and physical undertakings I've ever gone through.

That being said, I think the argument is going to come down to your definition of "human life" - If you believe new life exists at conception, you'll likely be "pro-life", if you don't, you'll likely be "pro-choice". I don't find it convincing to potentially ruin lives over a clump of cells which has no awareness/no real human likeness. I don't find the argument for "potential" to convincing, at all, either. Everything has the potential to be something else - that doesn't mean that it is the same thing, or ever will be. Destroying a seed is not the same thing as tearing down a 200 year old red-wood tree.

I do think that if you are going to get an abortion, the earlier you do it, the better. For a host of reasons.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Asmodean on November 09, 2011, 07:24:24 AM
Quote from: MinnesotaMike on November 09, 2011, 07:09:25 AM
The government is exactly who should get that finger out of their ass and legalize it, actually. In the US, make it a federal law, perhaps..?

Who do you think should have a say in what is legal and what not when it comes to abortion? The individual gynecologist? The religious leader? The individual parent?

I wrote that in context of the government being the entity that makes laws. To rephrase: as a starting point, abortion shouldn't be illegal under any circumstance during the germinal stage of pregnancy. Since this is a women's health issue (assuming the talk I got from my parents is correct), I don't like to go beyond that point with my input.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on November 02, 2011, 01:38:07 PM
They ought to name some dish after me too... Kebab D'Asmodeani, for instance... Has nice ring to it, but those who name things never listen. :(
One day, I'll name something that, just for you. :) It really does have a nice ring to it... D'Asmodeani... I like it. :D
And as for the gay marriage topic, I agree with MinnesotaMike.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.