News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Solving the mysteries of short-legged Neandertals

Started by Tank, October 20, 2011, 03:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Solving the mysteries of short-legged Neandertals

Quote(PhysOrg.com) -- While most studies have concluded that a cold climate led to the short lower legs typical of Neandertals, researchers at Johns Hopkins have found that lower leg lengths shorter than the typical modern human's let them move more efficiently over the mountainous terrain where they lived. The findings reveal a broader trend relating shorter lower leg length to mountainous environments that may help explain the limb proportions of many different animals.

"Studies looking at limb length have always concluded that a shorter limb, including in Neandertals, leads to less efficiency of movement, because they had to take more steps to go a given distance," says lead author Ryan Higgins, graduate student in the Johns Hopkins Center of Functional Anatomy and Evolution. "But the other studies only looked at flat land. Our study suggests that the Neandertals' steps were not less efficient than modern humans in the sloped, mountainous environment where they lived."...
Environmental separation, followed by climate change may have been what finally killed off our most recent hominid relative.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

...And yet we are sort of cross-bred with them, no..? Seem to remember a thread about that, yes..?

So "extinct" may not be exactly accurate.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on October 20, 2011, 07:06:58 PM
...And yet we are sort of cross-bred with them, no..? Seem to remember a thread about that, yes..?

So "extinct" may not be exactly accurate.
Yes there was thread about mixed DNA, so not quite extinct in the genetic sense.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Attila

In any event, this model predicts you will find very few giraffes in the Himalayas, not to mention, on Kilimanjaro.

Asmodean

Quote from: Attila on October 23, 2011, 09:10:46 AM
In any event, this model predicts you will find very few giraffes in the Himalayas, not to mention, on Kilimanjaro.
With those places lacking in particularly tall trees to nibble at at the top, why would giraffes even want to move there..? Would be like me wanting to move to like... Afghanistan  ::)

:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Attila

Quote from: Asmodean on October 23, 2011, 09:14:29 AM
Quote from: Attila on October 23, 2011, 09:10:46 AM
With those places lacking in particularly tall trees to nibble at at the top, why would giraffes even want to move there..? Would be like me wanting to move to like... Afghanistan  ::)

:P
There you go being rational again (although I disagree about Afghanistan; it's problems are, hopefully, short lived as are much of its population thanks to NATO). Typical animal behaviour. What ever will the theists think of that.  ;D
In fact long legs would be advantageous to reach tender plants on high ledges just out of reach of Neanderthals.

Asmodean

Quote from: Attila on October 23, 2011, 09:27:32 AM
There you go being rational again (although I disagree about Afghanistan; it's problems are, hopefully, short lived as are much of its population thanks to NATO). Typical animal behaviour. What ever will the theists think of that.  ;D
Lemmesee... It's hot there. And when it aint, it's freezing. Then there are walking tents, men with the ugliest of beards and the oldest of Kalashnikovs, NATO soldiers, who I have seen in pubs around here when they come for exercises... Not to offend any one here, but the British soldiers seem to behave in a similar fashion to British football fans and the Americans are not much better. And the place is like crawling with them. Oh, and landmines. Those too. And that will not be a short-lived problem. They still find a few from WW2 here and there  :o

The drugs are supposed to be good though... But then they are not for domestic use, as I understand... All export to our nice and civilized streets because, apparently, we need some decivilizing.  >:(

And yes, I did wake up on the wrong side of the coffin today.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Attila

Quote from: Asmodean on October 23, 2011, 09:33:43 AM
Quote from: Attila on October 23, 2011, 09:27:32 AM
Lemmesee... It's hot there. And when it aint, it's freezing. Then there are walking tents, men with the ugliest of beards and the oldest of Kalashnikovs, NATO soldiers, who I have seen in pubs around here when they come for exercises... Not to offend any one here, but the British soldiers seem to behave in a similar fashion to British football fans and the Americans are not much better. And the place is like crawling with them. Oh, and landmines. Those too. And that will not be a short-lived problem. They still find a few from WW2 here and there  :o

The drugs are supposed to be good though... But then they are not for domestic use, as I understand... All export to our nice and civilized streets because, apparently, we need some decivilizing.  >:(

And yes, I did wake up on the wrong side of the coffin today.  >:(
Your remarks are taken as descriptive not moralistic. I, for one, have no problems with anything you say. As for British football fans, they don't exist. Welsh yes, Scottish yes, Irish yes, British? We'll have wait to see what that's like at the 2012 Olympics. My prediction: no one local will be shouting for the British side. Re: Afghanistan, I was referring to the people (all the ones I've met are quite nice) and not the current situation which is largely not of their doing. I'll leave it at that.

Asmodean

Quote from: Attila on October 23, 2011, 10:21:33 AM
Your remarks are taken as descriptive not moralistic.
They are purely descriptive.

QuoteI, for one, have no problems with anything you say. As for British football fans, they don't exist. Welsh yes, Scottish yes, Irish yes, British? We'll have wait to see what that's like at the 2012 Olympics.
Sorry about the lack of clarity. I was refering to the English variety, mostly, I think. The kind who seem to go to games for no oher reason than to start trouble at some point and demolish a few pubs and piss into a few convertibles after.

QuoteRe: Afghanistan, I was referring to the people (all the ones I've met are quite nice) and not the current situation which is largely not of their doing. I'll leave it at that.
I was refering to the situation, since that is really the mother of all reasons for my not wanting to have anything to do with that country.  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Attila

Quote from: Asmodean on October 23, 2011, 10:31:55 AM
QuoteRe: Afghanistan, I was referring to the people (all the ones I've met are quite nice) and not the current situation which is largely not of their doing. I'll leave it at that.
I was refering to the situation, since that is really the mother of all reasons for my not wanting to have anything to do with that country.  :P
I'm with you 100%. If only the Americans thought that way. [sigh]

Willow