News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Researchers use maggots to heal diabetic wounds

Started by Tank, September 27, 2011, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Researchers use maggots to heal diabetic wounds

Quote(Medical Xpress) -- At the recent Interscience Conference on Anti-Microbial Agents and Chemotherapy, Dr. Lawrence Eron from the University of Hawaii presented his results on the use of maggots to heal diabetic wounds. The small trial treated 37 diabetic patients with 27 showing successful outcomes.

Conventional treatment for healing diabetic wounds is debridement, or the removal of infected and dead tissue with enzymes or scalpels, but these treatments are not always successful and often result in the need for amputation. Eron believes that maggot debridement may be the answer.

Eron and his team treated 37 patients, all with a type of artery disease that contributed to poor circulation and stubborn wound healing. Some of the patients had wounds up to five years old. The team placed 50 to 100 maggots on the wound and sealed them with a mesh-like material similar to pantyhose where they remained for 1-2 days. The maggots were then removed and replaced by fresh maggots for another cycle. This was repeated for five cycles...

Which would you prefer sir, the scalpel or the maggots?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Definitely the maggots, they're so cute. Plus the scalpal doesn't only remove the dead/rotting flesh while maggots only eat that stuff.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on September 27, 2011, 06:22:57 PM
Definitely the maggots, they're so cute. Plus the scalpal doesn't only remove the dead/rotting flesh while maggots only eat that stuff.
By all accounts one can feel the maggots feeding  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Davin

Quote from: Tank on September 27, 2011, 06:25:20 PM
That is a bonus, imo. Now I want to make an unhealing wound just to experience it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

OldGit

Tank

Being type 2 myself I'd rather have maggots than a scalpel.

Asmodean

They are useful, those maggots... You can fish with them, use them to treat burns an other sores if they are properly washed and irradiated or whatever first and now, apparently, this. They nearly as useful as my rats.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Working at a vet clinic, I've had more experience with maggots than I care to recall.  

But I have heard that they are good for wound healing! I remember reading something about how an ER doctor saw a homeless man with a severe abscess and it was covered in maggots. The man was doing pretty well, besides his wound, but as soon as they got rid of all of the maggots and cleaned him up he got very ill and died.

The maggots were helping to keep the infection at bay.

If it was me, I'd let them do whatever works best I probably wouldn't want to watch, though)

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

This is what would keep me from OK'ing the maggots.  I understand that they're the better solution but the squick factor is just way too high for me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Turn it into a feeling of being cleansed ;D Hey, dead flesh...

I would prefer the maggots, provided that they're certified lab-born and raised. I can get a little squeamish.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.