News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Evolution the myth

Started by Happy Forever, September 26, 2011, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 21, 2011, 05:28:30 PM
Quote from: Squid on November 21, 2011, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: Happy Forever on September 26, 2011, 01:51:27 PM

A simple question for you:

If you claim that there is no creator and you are evolved, how do you evolve yourself and why will you die?

I haven't been around the board in a while. I have all week off from work, so, I started poking around a bit to see what's been going on.  I read this statement and it made my brain hurt...

No! Not this post again!
For a minute, I thought Happy Forever had been resurrected!

No, her understanding evolved
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Jose AR

If you are here to share opinions, listen to other opinions, and use your rational mind to think, great. If you are here for another purpose go away. If heaven is great go there now, please. 

Tank

Quote from: Jose AR on December 08, 2011, 08:36:11 PM
If you are here to share opinions, listen to other opinions, and use your rational mind to think, great. If you are here for another purpose go away. If heaven is great go there now, please. 
Jose.

If a person behaves within the rules they get to stay. If they are here to preach or troll it will usually become apparent and they will be dealt with appropriately by the owner or the staff. It isn't considered 'civil' for one member to tell another member to go away. If you feel a member has broken the rules please report the post and let the staff handle the issue.

Thanks
Tank
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Jose AR

Hello, I smell logic in the room and it aint you!

Here goes:

You give science and logic validity when you state them in opposition to something you are against. (The enemy of my enemy is my friend). So by giving science validity you also make valid its precepts and methods. However, in the very next phrase you invalidate science by denegrating our age of "science and mind". What exactly is your position regarding science. Your logic show you to be a flip flopper, you are either with us or against us.

Now, your argument, being so thin leaves very little to disagree with. May I suggest you follow up this post with a more detailed declaration or explanation of your position regarding evolution, science, and logic. Remember, that if you mention 'logic' you are bound by its power. For example, your phrase "countless people" is illogical, as there is no amount of people who cannot be counted. So start from the beginning, give definitions of your key words (science, to me, is ...) and build your case. Remember that the strongest argument has the least assumptions, that there are always assumptions, which you must state, and that the case must be internally consistent. (You probably have a lot of work ahead of you and may want to start with Huxley and work up to Russell.)

Of course I suspect what it all boils down to is "the bible tells me so". If that's the case just admit it, know that you are wrong, and leave science and logic out of it.

Thank you in advance

Jose AR

Tank

Quote from: Jose AR on December 18, 2011, 04:50:45 PM
Hello, I smell logic in the room and it aint you!

Here goes:

You give science and logic validity when you state them in opposition to something you are against. (The enemy of my enemy is my friend). So by giving science validity you also make valid its precepts and methods. However, in the very next phrase you invalidate science by denegrating our age of "science and mind". What exactly is your position regarding science. Your logic show you to be a flip flopper, you are either with us or against us.

Now, your argument, being so thin leaves very little to disagree with. May I suggest you follow up this post with a more detailed declaration or explanation of your position regarding evolution, science, and logic. Remember, that if you mention 'logic' you are bound by its power. For example, your phrase "countless people" is illogical, as there is no amount of people who cannot be counted. So start from the beginning, give definitions of your key words (science, to me, is ...) and build your case. Remember that the strongest argument has the least assumptions, that there are always assumptions, which you must state, and that the case must be internally consistent. (You probably have a lot of work ahead of you and may want to start with Huxley and work up to Russell.)

Of course I suspect what it all boils down to is "the bible tells me so". If that's the case just admit it, know that you are wrong, and leave science and logic out of it.

Thank you in advance

Jose AR

Jose

The part of your post I have highlighted isn't necessary, or approprate, on this forum.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2011, 05:00:11 PM
Jose

The part of your post I have highlighted isn't necessary, or approprate, on this forum.
...On a vastly more important note, Tank, how come you suddenly has over 8000 posts?!  :o Last I looked at your counter, it was more like... 6000 and some.

/Derail  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on December 18, 2011, 07:01:27 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2011, 05:00:11 PM
Jose

...On a vastly more important note, Tank, how come you suddenly has over 8000 posts?!  :o Last I looked at your counter, it was more like... 6000 and some.

/Derail  ;D
You blinked!  :D

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2011, 07:06:59 PM
The Asmo shall catch up with you yet, just you wait and see!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on December 18, 2011, 07:09:28 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2011, 07:06:59 PM
The Asmo shall catch up with you yet, just you wait and see!
Race you to 10,000?

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2011, 07:18:29 PM
Race you to 10,000?
Are you encouraging The Asmo to post-whore?!  :o

:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2011, 08:34:34 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 18, 2011, 08:27:13 PM
Race you to 10,000?

Not at all  :o

Why would you?
You don't encourage a fish to be a fish.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 19, 2011, 12:11:54 AM
You don't encourage a fish to be a fish.
:o The Asmo is NOT a fish!

He a fungus. Made of clay.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on December 18, 2011, 08:27:13 PM
Race you to 10,000?

Wait a minute, wait a minute!  Are we about to have a whore down?  Snacks, spectators need snacks!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 19, 2011, 03:31:16 AM
Wait a minute, wait a minute!  Are we about to have a whore down?
In the mud too, if the weather warms up a bit  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.