Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 03, 2012, 02:14:41 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 03, 2012, 08:24:17 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 03, 2012, 05:37:31 AM
I am so envious right now. 
Make that two of us!

Three!

Add one more: four!

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 03, 2012, 06:15:36 PM
And here's the same area in color (but without the bird, which is a shame), proving that So. Cal. does still have some nice looking water:

Is that relatively close to a city? That is clean looking water, and no garbage washed up on shore...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 04, 2012, 03:11:25 AM
Is that relatively close to a city? That is clean looking water, and no garbage washed up on shore...

It's relatively close to Ventura, but that area has no beach and is so rocky with little way of getting to the water without risking your life that's it's also relatively people-free, hence the purity.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 03, 2012, 06:15:36 PM
Quote from: Amicale on February 23, 2012, 08:42:39 AM

I am an absolute sucker for bodies of water, it's what's kept me living on the CA coast despite the expense.  I can't remember if I've posted this picture before but it's one of my favorites.  I took this on Pacific Coast Highway, just outside of Port Hueneme:

And here's the same area in color (but without the bird, which is a shame), proving that So. Cal. does still have some nice looking water:

I somehow JUST saw this now. Sigh. 3 and a half weeks late, and more than a dollar short.  :P

Those are GORGEOUS pics, BCE! Wow! I'd looooove to see that. Just gorgeous. You're quite the photographer!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

chris

I moved to Oregon almost 20 years ago after spending most of my youth in San Francisco and Marin County, and most of my business career in Los Angeles, Chicago, Sacramento, and lots of travel to Boca Raton.  I had my fill of what cities had to offer.  I now live in the Siskiyou Mountain Range, a few hundred yards from the Rogue River, a fierce and wild river in an area still dangeous to those not careful of where they tread.  James Kim of Tech TV died a few miles from me in a sudden snowstorm, and his family was stranded a few years ago, while trying to take a shortcut to the coast.  Less famous people die every year for assuming civilization will protect them from the wilds.

But, with danger comes great beauty; the hills are alive with wild trout and salmon for those who know where to venture; massive redwoods tower above all just a few miles away, and the Pacific is just over this coastal range.  The Oregon coast reminds me of California before being overrun; rocky and fierce with patches of serenity and beaches, as gems to be found for the searching.

Tom62

I was born in this street

But didn't stay there for long, because 4 months later my family moved to the countryside.
This picture was taken not far away from our house . As a child I loved to row with my friends and to fish.

I lived in that village (De Kwakel) for more than three decades.

In 1992 I decided to accept a job offer in Paris, France so for 3,5 years I lived in a small apartment located at this square: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiLMFn1OzhQ

The company then decided to create an European administration center in the small town of Nyon at the Lake Geneva (here some impressions of the region http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qavrs5E2FkA). This is where I met my wife, at that time she worked for an European organization that does this kind of stuff

In 2001 we both moved to the city of Jugendstil (Darmstadt, Germany)

My wife was however restless. So while, I remained in Darmstadt for awhile, she went to Lisbon, Portugal

and after that to Washington,D.C.

At the same time of her move to the USA, I moved a bit closer to my work in Oberusel. FYI: to coordinate two moves between three different countries at the same time, was the most stressful thing that I'd ever done in my entire life.

So, here is where I'll still live till the end of this month.

My wife joined me there for several months (till last February), until she found a job at this place:

But next month she'll start work in (and for) this city instead:

By then, I should already moved into our new house in Neu-Anspach

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

^^^ I'd really liked to have moved around like that but families tend to root one to a particular spot.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on April 01, 2012, 10:25:31 AM
^^^ I'd really liked to have moved around like that but families tend to root one to a particular spot.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on April 01, 2012, 04:18:29 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 01, 2012, 10:25:31 AM
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

This^ :)

You've really been around, Tom.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

lebrecht52

I was born in Montreal Canada.
I came to Southern California in 1952.

Amicale

Quote from: lebrecht52 on April 07, 2012, 06:36:41 AM
I was born in Montreal Canada.
I came to Southern California in 1952.

I'm in Ontario. :) Montreal's a beautiful city, and I'd love to see California sometime as well. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about your life.

Take care, Mrs. Lebrecht! :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

musicality

:) I am from Southern California.
Nothing too special about it. But I am in love with the sunny skies and living near the beach aint have bad either!
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

Tank

Quote from: musicality on April 18, 2012, 10:37:04 AM
:) I am from Southern California.
Nothing too special about it. But I am in love with the sunny skies and living near the beach aint have bad either!
I wish I lived a little closer to the coast. Not that I should complain because in the UK it's impossible to be more than 70 miles from the coast.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Coast without palms is overrated. There is a lot of wind and fish. Loads of fish.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

I grew up in the definition of suburbia, Long Island New York. Most of Long Island is pretty conservative, especially the area where I grew up. A lot of rich white trash, to be blunt. We were most famous for Amy Fisher, the high school girl who shot her boyfriend's wife in the head back in the 90's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Fisher

I'm still not quite sure why my parents chose to live there; our liberal secular/Jewish family was horribly out of place.
I moved to the Boston area for school 14 years ago and never left, and met my wife here too. We live in Somerville, which is just north of the city. Love this town. There's a chance we may have to move soon, but it's not definite yet.

The lower right image is Prospect Hill, where the first US Flag was flown. If you look closely, it's got the Union Jack colors embedded in it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

texasatheist

I live in San Antonio TX.  More churches than gas stations (hypothetically but still debatable) and everything else is about religion.  Minor league team?  The Missions, after the missions that around the city of various historical significance (think Alamo!).  if the US is approximately 85% believers in general then here in TX it's probably closer to 95%.  Everybody is religious from the little fish on every small business' front sign or on every other car bumper across the state to religious culture coming up in discussions with complete strangers. 

On the street, I'll say what I believe and ask you not to discuss it with me.  With my family I'm a huge closet atheist afraid to lose them to some silly book.  Online I'm forced to conceal my identity due to repercussions with work and my clients or from my family discovering my true beliefs, or lack thereof. I don't fear for my life but I do fear loss of clients/income and never seeing my family again and in some ways I think that is worse.