News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 19, 2012, 09:26:44 PM

This kind of says it all.  I actually live in the neighborhood of Baldwin Hills, but I can see that sign from the landing on the outside staircase.  I absolutely adore this maddening, frustrating, and utterly fascinating city.
Gosh! To you get to see many of the entertainment 'upper class'?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

My grandfather was born in Barcelona, Spain in 1901 and moved to El Salvador in 1921. Him and my uncle raised me for the first 10 years of my life.
I was born in 1969 in El Salvador, that's a small country in Central America. I was brought to the states 33 years ago.
I have lived in Washington State, Florida and California. Right now I live in California, close to downtown LA. I like it here, it's sunny most of the time and there's people from all over the world, I like that.
It's hard to find atheist Latinos, if you tell a Latino that there is no god, they do the sign of the cross all over their body and run as if they've seen the devil.  :-\
This is why I come to the HAF, I can come out of the closet and I also learn a lot here. I mostly like to read people's comments, I don't post too much but I'm happy to be here with so many smart people, some not so smart, and even the evil ones like asmo. Well....that's a little bit about me. There's a lot more, but that is all for now.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

^^^ That reads like a teaser for a great novel/biography.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on February 23, 2012, 06:27:33 AM

Well I'm happy because she's happy to be with us not so smart people, about time we got some credit.  We make the smart seem relatively smarter.  One thing though, there are no evil ones like Asmo, his is an entirely unique form of evil.

Amicale

Some random awesome shots from around my city.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on February 23, 2012, 06:27:33 AM

Thank you, I don't want to brag, but I will anyway.  ;)
If I had a dime for all the times people have told me to write my life story, I would have a whole dollar by now.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Forsaken

Hi Everyone. I am from the Fiji Islands, a tiny island nation situated in the South pacific Ocean. Here are some photos from my country that might interest you.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

The political situation is suspect and landscapes are presented in gif format, I'm reserving judgement.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 03, 2012, 02:22:25 PM
The political situation is suspect and landscapes are presented in gif format, I'm reserving judgement.
Yes. Pudding wise. I do want a palm and some sand though  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Asmodean on March 03, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
Yes. Pudding wise. I do want a palm and some sand though  :(
palms are overated. I am surrounded by palm trees and still in a shithole.  Fiji looks awesome though.  much better than GA. I could easily see myself drinking a corona and lime while sitting on the beach on fiji.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on February 23, 2012, 08:42:39 AM

I am an absolute sucker for bodies of water, it's what's kept me living on the CA coast despite the expense.  I can't remember if I've posted this picture before but it's one of my favorites.  I took this on Pacific Coast Highway, just outside of Port Hueneme:

And here's the same area in color (but without the bird, which is a shame), proving that So. Cal. does still have some nice looking water:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on March 03, 2012, 06:00:31 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on March 03, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
Yes. Pudding wise. I do want a palm and some sand though  :(
palms are overated. I am surrounded by palm trees and still in a shithole.  Fiji looks awesome though.  much better than GA. I could easily see myself drinking a corona and lime while sitting on the beach on fiji.

I think people just get bored with what they're used to.  I used to have icebergs that floated by my backyard on an (almost) daily basis during certain parts of the year. Tourists flip their shit for them, but for the locals, it's like "meh. iceberg. neat, I guess". I've only seen palm trees twice in my life, so they're cool and exotic to me.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.