News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Suicide

Started by Medusa, August 25, 2011, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on August 30, 2011, 01:29:09 AM
Was I relieved? NO. Am i relieved 10 years later? NO.
Another root issue right here. All the "Give it a few years and ye useless butt will be thanking them doctors an' be wishing that your trigger finger never itched" really gets on my nerve, at least. And, from experience, it's a very commonly used argument... Saying... Thing.

Why do people have to assume that everyone is just like them and that deep in our hearts we all have the same priorities..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Medusa

Quote from: Asmodean on August 29, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 26, 2011, 08:47:52 PM
but anyone who fails at "suicide" is not really serious, but simply wanting attention. (not attention in the simplistic meaning).
How's about the guy who drove a car into a cliff at 90 kilometers per hour with no seat belt on and was thoroughly revived in a hospital..? Not serious, was he..? Or someone who downed a bucket of Valium but couldn't go without subtly saying goodbye to someone... Except that someone "saw the signs" and got all suspicious..?

There is such a thing as rotten luck, you know.

There are people who survive multiple suicide attempts by the skin of their teeth, but not out of lack of will to die as much as out of lack of resources to really do it right.

Thank you for this post. I AM one of those people. Without getting into extensive details I'll just say, "Goddamn my freshman-year roommate for coming back to our dorm even though she ALWAYS stayed with her parents every weekend." My doctor told me I wouldn't be here had I been brought to the hospital half an hour later. Was I relieved? NO. Am i relieved 10 years later? NO.

On a personal level, I hang on for those who love me because I don't want to hurt them. On a broader level, I don't think people should have to survive for others if they don't want to, or can't, survive for themselves.

As for assisted suicide: I've been a proponent of it for as long as I can remember. My great-grandpa shot himself while my great-grandma was at church. He was in the throes of lung cancer and just couldn't cope anymore. The thought of assisted suicide sounds a lot more pleasant that my great-grandma finding him.
Well at least you are here to bitch and moan how you are alive.  ;)
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on August 30, 2011, 03:54:00 AM
Was I relieved? NO. Am i relieved 10 years later? NO.
Another root issue right here. All the "Give it a few years and ye useless butt will be thanking them doctors an' be wishing that your trigger finger never itched" really gets on my nerve, at least. And, from experience, it's a very commonly used argument... Saying... Thing.

Why do people have to assume that everyone is just like them and that deep in our hearts we all have the same priorities..?
Argh, I know. I wish certain people would stop acting like "time heals all wounds."   It doesn't always.  And once again, you can never understand how someone feels, because you're not THEM.

Stop pushing your views on life onto others who has the right to end their life at anytime.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

I guess it does bother me, but you're all correct in saying that I don't live their lives and see their reasons for wanting to end them, so I can't really judge meaningfully.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

I always think of it as this:

An Atheist lying in a hospital bed, doped up on drugs to quel the agony of a drawn out death.
No hope of respite because the Christians, who believe their imaginary god does not like euthanasia based on some sentence in a very old book, they lobbied government to save the souls of everybody. Especially those who would wish to make a peaceful end to their lives.

Mr and Mrs Christian sitting at home watching TV, laughing at some stupid comedy on tv (possibly 2 and a half men) ignorant of the dying atheist's plight, feeling warm fuzzies about the vote they cast to ensure people don't commit suicide and go to hell.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on September 02, 2011, 08:57:11 PM

An Atheist lying in a hospital bed, doped up on drugs to quel the agony of a drawn out death.
No hope of respite because the Christians, who believe their imaginary god does not like euthanasia based on some sentence in a very old book, they lobbied government to save the souls of everybody. Especially those who would wish to make a peaceful end to their lives.

Mr and Mrs Christian sitting at home watching TV, laughing at some stupid comedy on tv (possibly 2 and a half men) ignorant of the dying atheist's plight, feeling warm fuzzies about the vote they cast to ensure people don't commit suicide and go to hell.
Amen to that! Ooops!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

*slow golf clap* ^__^

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

you think Christians or religious poeple don't deal with suicide? This seems a very one sided observation. Death comes for everyone and everyone has to deal with it the way they best can handle it.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Stevil

Quote from: Medusa on September 02, 2011, 11:43:35 PM

you think Christians or religious poeple don't deal with suicide? This seems a very one sided observation. Death comes for everyone and everyone has to deal with it the way they best can handle it.
My post was with regards to the Atheists bearing the consequences of law influenced by Christian belief. Surely if Christians believe against Euthanasia they can simply opt out if the opportunity presents itself to them. Why do they need Atheists to be forced not to have the option?

truthandwisdom

I strongly agree with the posts so far. I am a strong proponent of assisted suicide. All human beings should be able to choose to die with dignity if they are of sound mind (whether terminal or not). Family and friends will sometimes not understand and desire for the person to hang on but urging a person to suffer more than need be is being selfish and not compassionate. The only arguments I hear from the anti-A/S people are religious in nature or the slippery slope arguments (which of course emanate from fear or religion, not knowledge or rationality).
Non-belief in a deity is not, in itself, a virtue. It is simply the first step on a journey towards intellectual maturity.

Sweetdeath

I would love to see a law in the works for assisted suicides.

OldGit

An Atheist lying in a hospital bed, doped up on drugs to quell the agony of a drawn out death.

Exactly.  That's what angers me, who may very well be facing something similar quite soon.

The Magic Pudding

Or nodding in agreement with some turd talking about government's wasteful spending.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Medusa on September 02, 2011, 11:43:35 PM

Of course Christians and religious people deal with death, but there is very wide-spread christian doctrine against suicide/assisted suicide no matter what. Don't you remember the Terri Schiavo case?

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

I watched a documentary on 9/11 the other day.  It turns out that nobody "jumped" - all the 200 or so poor devils who fell from windows were "forced out by the fire".  To me, there's no difference but seemingly many Christians would be very unhappy to think that their loved ones killed themselves, whereas being forced out by the flames is OK.
Insanity.