News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Catholics v. Mideo Cruz

Started by wildfire_emissary, August 15, 2011, 04:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfire_emissary

I should have posted this earlier but I will still share this here. The exhibit has been shut down though.

It began when a brilliant painter named Mideo Cruz exhibited his works.
Of course, a painting of Jesus with a dick on his face got this reaction and several other reactions.
With the media sensationalizing the exhibit, it was finally closed down: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/38917/ccp-closes-down-art-exhibit-amidst-hue-and-cry-from-gov%E2%80%99t-catholics

Hell, even our president clamored for it. In our school when I ask students' opinions about it, they say it's blasphemous, disrespectful, and others even say the artist must die. I can see only one difference with how Catholics here in the Philippines react and the Muslims around the world, especially in Denmark (regarding the Mohammed cartoons). The level of violence.

edit: added photo
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Medusa

It's sad to say the least. If you, as a viewer, don't like it...don't go to view it. But you have no right to keep others from viewing it. For me, it ain't my bag. I get bored of religion used in art in controversial ways. After Madonna it's all old hat to me. I prefer classic art I guess. But that doesn't mean you can't like it. Screw the Catholics.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

No one would be booing and pissing themselves if it were Odin or Zeus.  Being an artist is all about freedom of expression. If you don't like someone's works don't go see it (like Medusa stated).  No one is forcing you!

I don't understand WHY things are only controversial on the artworld when they involve  religious garbage.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 16, 2011, 05:12:42 AM
No one would be booing and pissing themselves if it were Odin or Zeus.  Being an artist is all about freedom of expression. If you don't like someone's works don't go see it (like Medusa stated).  No one is forcing you!

I don't understand WHY things are only controversial on the artworld when they involve  religious garbage.
Damien Hirst does all right upsetting vegetarians.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Medusa

The Jesus Christ post.
Jesus says...

She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

wildfire_emissary

The charade never ends. The Philippine Senate is conducting an inquest on how the paintings got into the exhibit. Talk about waste of taxpayers money.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Sweetdeath

@Tank: well, i'm an animal lover period, so that disturbs me. O_o;;

Though I will not condemn any artist, especially when it comes to religious bs.  Just for lulz, I shoild draw jesus blowing Judas. >__>

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

wildfire_emissary

I thought no photo escaped the exhibit. This has caused the "stir."

Tank

Some people get upset about the stupidest things.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Lol!  I think that's hilarious. I don't get it as art, but it isn't offensive.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

ThinkAnarchy

People are overly sensitive. I wonder which is more blasphemous, this or Piss Christ?
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

I'm afraid to ask what piss Christ is.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 24, 2011, 11:57:49 PM
I'm afraid to ask what piss Christ is.
Despite your fear and not actually asking the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

I had to google it. LOL According to Wikipedia:
QuoteThe art critic Lucy R. Lippard has presented a constructive case for the formal value of Serrano's Piss Christ, which she characterizes as mysterious and beautiful. She writes that the work is "a darkly beautiful photographic image... the small wood and plastic crucifix becomes virtually monumental as it floats, photographically enlarged, in a deep rosy glow that is both ominous and glorious." Lippard suggests that the formal values of the image can be regarded separately from other meanings.

Though if you stare at it long enough, the lighted reflected off the cross really does bounce off at you.

Modern art.  ::) I'm not even going to pretend I get it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey