News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Battle over 9/11 cross at memorial site

Started by Sweetdeath, July 28, 2011, 04:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted this yet.  A huge metal cross is landmarked at the ground zero memorial site.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheist-groups-lawsuit-against-wtc-cross-sad-and-misguided-52940/
"The attempt to remove the cross is another sad and misguided example of incessant efforts to remove all religious symbols from public ife," Forbes said. "To remove this cross, a physical part of the history of that tragic day would be an insult to the many who found solace in its symbolism." Forbes noted that the cross, made up of two ntersecting steel beams found intact amid the rubble of the 2001 terrorist attacks, "has served as a symbol of hope for many devastated by the worst terrorist attack in our nation's history."
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

Well I agree it should be taken down. The Christians didn't think it a befitting place for anything Islamic. So now they know what it feels like. I say build a super Walmart with a McDonald's inside and call it a grand worshiping place. Everyone worships smiley low prices and french fries.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

I agree. And how obnoxious is it to assume everyone who died/was affected by 9/11 was religious? Or even Catholic/Christian?

I'm sure muslims and atheists died all the same.

I was for the mosque btw. It was actually a community center for ALL PEOPLE.

It made me sick to see people protesting it, acting so high and mighty.  ... :-[

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Whitney

It's just a piece of wreckage that happens to look like a cross...they aren't going to win any more than they could win a case against government funds maintain a historic church or religious artifacts in a museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_cross

I think they should just come up with a nicely worded plaque about how people of many worldview, cultures etc died that day and insist that it be installed one one of the sides of the base of the cross shaped beams.

Sweetdeath

Well, i'm certain people are going to be gripping their rosaries  and praying beside it.  No religious objects should be the best thing. This still seems a bit tasteless...

Tank

I think they should erect symbols to all the belief, and non-belief, systems or none at all.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Medusa

Quote from: Tank on July 28, 2011, 08:19:32 AM
I think they sould errect symbols to all the belief, and non-belief, systems or none at all.
Maybe just a statue of a human being would do. But then again I've seen pictures of the places directly across and near the site. A strip club is right near there if I remember correctly. It's not exactly a holy place of any kind.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Tank

Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 08:21:16 AM
I think they should erect symbols to all the belief, and non-belief, systems or none at all.
Maybe just a statue of a human being would do. But then again I've seen pictures of the places directly across and near the site. A strip club is right near there if I remember correctly. It's not exactly a holy place of any kind.
Yep that would be the best idea.

EDIT: Maybe a group of people. If there were just the one would it be male/female, african/caucasian/asian? Could be quite a large group to be totally politically correct!!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on July 28, 2011, 08:36:59 AM
Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 08:21:16 AM
Yep that would be the best idea.

EDIT: Maybe a group of people. If there were just the one would it be male/female, african/caucasian/asian? Could be quite a large group to be totally politically correct!!

Actually, that's a really good idea!  After all, human beings died that day, of all creed. Human beings went into the toxic smoke to try to find any sign of life.  Peope took action to help on this tragedy, so why the heck are we putting up a cross?  >:(

I think we should plant a beautiful garden. Flowers are a symbol of life and death. People can sit there and enjoy them together without religion being involved.

Recusant

Though I agree with most of the things that American Atheists choose to make statements on, and also agree with most of those public statements, I think that their seeming desire to be a confrontational voice of atheism in America actually does little to further a goal of making atheism less vilified and more accepted in the US. Their PR campaign seems to be focused on a fairly strident tone, playing into the Fox News caricature of atheists as mere God-haters.

Since this cross (which is undeniably a Christian symbol, contrary to the assertion of Justice Scalia) has historic significance, and is also a symbol of hope for Christians, I think that even though American Atheists may be technically correct, a better approach might be to champion something along the lines of what Tank suggested; an ecumenical memorial which, along with the cross, would acknowledge the dead who belonged to other faiths and those who belonged to none.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Atheists face death threats on Fox Facebook page; re: 9/11 cross

QuoteDeath threats aimed at American Atheists populated the Fox News Facebook page after Blair Scott, Communications Director for American Atheists, appeared on America Live with Megyn Kelly Thursday.

Scott's appearance on Fox News was motivated by the recent complaint filed by American Atheists and others with the state of New York asking for fair and equal treatment by the National September 11 Memorial and Museum.

American Atheists argue that inclusion of the 9/11 cross and the exclusion of representations suitable to non-Christians constitutes a violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution of the United States...
At the bottom of the page is a slide show of screen captures of the death threats and they haven't pixelated the user names. So I've invited one (Sindy Clock) to come over and see what nice atheists are like :D

Sweetdeath

Death threats?    Oh, religious people are such a peaceful bunch.   ::)

fester30

Keep the cross and add mangled iron that looks like the symbol for the atom with an a in it

Tank

Quote from: fester30 on July 31, 2011, 08:25:32 AM
Keep the cross and add mangled iron that looks like the symbol for the atom with an a in it
Based on something like this?

ThinkAnarchy

I think a new skyscraper should simply be built. I never understood this memorializing mentality. Personally, if I had a close friend or relative die there, I wouldn't want it to become a bigger tourist attraction.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.