News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Not believing in evolution?

Started by YoungAtheist, July 27, 2011, 11:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungAtheist

So I was having a "debate" with a few of my friends, mostly about religion because they try to make me back into a theist. But anyways during this conversation they bring up how we were created, on which I gave them a 'Are you truly that ignorant' sort of look and went on into explaining it. I just don't understand how anybody can't believe in evolution. Do you?
There was a time then religion ruled all of Europe, this was called the Dark Ages.

Abletony

Well if you keep pushing it they might not be your friends for much longer.

Tank

Quote from: YoungAtheist on July 27, 2011, 11:53:06 AM
So I was having a "debate" with a few of my friends, mostly about religion because they try to make me back into a theist. But anyways during this conversation they bring up how we were created, on which I gave them a 'Are you truly that ignorant' sort of look and went on into explaining it. I just don't understand how anybody can't believe in evolution. Do you?
Personally no, evolution deniers are science deniers. If they deny evolution exists then they are denying the efficacy of the process that discovered it. Well if they deny the scientific method they also have to accept that nothing, nothing whatsoever, that could be reasonably considered a scientific discovery could be considered correct. Thus medicines, computers, televisions, radios etc. etc. were all created by dumb luck. They can't single out evolution just because it upsets their little apple cart. Please also point out that the original, largest and pre-eminent Christian sect, the Catholic Church, accepts evolution and that humans evolved. They fudge the issue by claiming that God added a 'vital spark' at the appropriate time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Quote from: Abletony on July 27, 2011, 12:09:39 PM
Well if you keep pushing it they might not be your friends for much longer.

I'm giving you a week to think about how you conduct yourself here...he said his friends are trying to make him into a theist then you claim he's pushing it.  Many people thought you were trolling when you joined and your conduct is making me think they were right.

Davin

I don't think anyone should believe anything. If the person doesn't understand something and the evidence that backs it up, then merely not accepting or denying is the best position. There is nothing useful attained by accepting something one doesn't understand. So I can understand how many people don't believe in evolution because not very many people have taken the time to understand it. What I don't understand is how someone could possibly think they can honestly deny something without understanding it. I also don't understand how people cannot understand a neutral position on something.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

Sadly there isn't much you can do to change their minds.  Now a days, we have tons of scienctific proof about life and organisms, but some people still want to believe Mankind came from the ground/clay/whatever.  I think you can maybe kindly ask them to stop bringing it up? :-\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Recusant

Over the years I've had plenty of conversations with Creationists.  The starting position for many of them is a literalist interpretation of the Bible. Any evidence which appears to contradict their particular literalist interpretation is from "the father of lies," and therefore cannot be true.  Some quotes, found on this page:

QuoteShould a conflict arise between the witness of the Holy Spirit to the fundamental truth of the Christian faith and beliefs based on argument and evidence, then it is the former which must take precedence over the latter, not vice versa.

-- William Lane Craig

QuoteNo geological difficulties, real or imagined, can be allowed to take precedence over the clear statements and necessary inferences of scripture.

-- Henry Morris

QuoteThe only Bible-honoring conclusion is, of course, that Genesis 1-11 is actual historical truth, regardless of any scientific or chronological problems thereby entailed.

--Henry Morris

The "father of lies" part is important, I think. Armed with that view, a Creationist can be immune to any evidence; either the "false" evidence was placed there by the devil, or the devil has clouded the minds of scientists and deceived them into believing things which, since they contradict a particular literalist interpretation, must be untrue. Also, they set great store by scientists whose views run counter to the main stream, many of whom are actually Creationist themselves, and who spend a lot of energy searching out and pointing to real or imagined discrepancies and gaps in scientific knowledge. It's a racket, but in the US, that racket pays fine dividends; just look at how successful the huckster Ken Ham has made himself.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sweetdeath

. I always found it amusing that religious people refer to Lucifer as the "father of lies,"  when that is what I consider their Catholic/Christian God ;D

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

I heard in a movie that the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world that he didn't exist (I have been bothered enough to check the source), but I think if the devil did exist, a much better trick would be to write a bunch of books claiming them to be divinely inspired. If I were the father of all lies and had thousands of years to do stuff, I'd certainly inspire a bunch of people into depicting my character doing all sorts of bad things, but get them to think that the actions are somehow good. I'd also get as many people as I could to disbelieve in reality as much as possible by getting them to irrationally deny scientific theories and empirical evidence... I mean if I were Satan that is.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

Maybe someone should pretend they are the devil?  I mean, plenty of people pretend they are posessed by  him.  :P

Medusa

Well how badly do you want these few friends to be your friends? If you value them 'beyond this belief they have' then make a promise to just not talk about these sort of things. I have friends where we disagree very adamantly on certain things (the who is the better super hero can get you into hot water). We just don't talk about.

BUT..if they continue to be disrespectful to you and your own choices...then ditch them.

I don't want to have friends that think the same way about everything like  I do. But I don't want friends who constantly harass me about my different opinions either.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

wildfire_emissary

I agree with Davin. Nobody really needs to believe in evolution or believe evolution. Understanding the working model for the development of life precedes knowledge not belief. It is in the Christian maxim that one has to believe first before one understands. This logic of belief preceding understanding is scientifically vacuous.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Medusa

My fiance and I got into this debate years ago. And after we got through blabbing our mouths off we came to some plausible conclusions. That Evolution could be the way God's creation plan works. We walked away and just left it all at that. Neither of us have really made mention of that argument again. Now we just argue who is better Batman Or Wolverine. Seriously.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 01:59:57 AM
Well how badly do you want these few friends to be your friends? If you value them 'beyond this belief they have' then make a promise to just not talk about these sort of things. I have friends where we disagree very adamantly on certain things (the who is the better super hero can get you into hot water). We just don't talk about.

BUT..if they continue to be disrespectful to you and your own choices...then ditch them.

I don't want to have friends that think the same way about everything like  I do. But I don't want friends who constantly harass me about my different opinions either.

This is wise advice.  There's nothing wrong with being different, but it's all about respect. If your friends constantly butt heads over religion, you have to ask yourself "is it worth it?"

The Magic Pudding

Creationists hmmmm, I could possibly respect them if there were only a few of them and they were part of a museum exhibit.