News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

I'm truly afraid for the USA

Started by rlrose328, October 02, 2007, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhailtuna

Quote from: "Bella"Wow... Just, wow. I couldn't watch past the girl praying to get a strike at bowling. You'd think with all the intense religious stuff going on there, they'd know not to pray for selfish things like that... "Dear God, please give me a billion dollars. I'll believe in you forever!"
That reminds me of a Woody Allen quote. ;)
'If only God would give me a sign... Like a large deposit in my Swiss bank account.'
Something like that, at least.

Will

They can smell fear as easily as they do coffee and donuts after a service. The important thing is to stand up to them and show them we're not afraid of their antics and fundamentalism. Show them that we aren't pushovers. How do we do that? Educate people. Be consistent in our values. Vote. Become socially responsible and really help out. Ironically, these are teachings you can find in spiritual scriptures throughout history, but leave it to "believers" to miss the point entirely and lose their minds.

They're only strong because no one is standing up and shouting "hypocrite". It's horrible that an atheist should have to teach a Muslim about the Qu'ran or a Christian about the Bible, but the reality is that we, not they, are the more capable of leading and protecting because we hold no dogmatic, unshakable beliefs.

So when you watch Jesus Camp, or the Republican Presidential debates, don't fear them, pity them and allow that pity to motivate you to educate people and help them.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LSchune

I officially want to meet Mullet Head on the street.  I don't know what I'd do or say, but...
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

Steve Reason

Quote from: "rlrose328"The hubby and I were just talking about that today when I was telling him what they were praying about.  It reminded me of a scrapbooking mailing list I was on once.  This gal joined a stamping company and she won a first quarter sales goal, the prize being $200 of free stamps for demo parties.

She posted to the group how wonderful she felt because godidit all, gave her customers, met her goals, sold the product.  She was his "conduit" to these people, her sales being a ministry.  I couldn't hold back.  I told her what a great job SHE had done, the sales SHE made, and the product SHE sold.  I HATE when people say that type of thing.

I was taught, way back when I was Lutheran, that you pray for strength to get the job done, patience to deal with people, fortitude to keep your tempber so you don't lose your job... you don't pray that god does the job, deals with the people and keeps your job for you.

She obviously won because God loved her more than anyone else. I'm trying to divine which way God is leaning on the Super Bowl this year so I can place my bet. :D
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Steve Reason

Quote from: "LSchune"I officially want to meet Mullet Head on the street.  I don't know what I'd do or say, but...

I'd like to just get him in a big hug and tell him that this is what he needs to believe in (human contact and love), and not imaginary beings that live above the clouds.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Steve Reason"I'm trying to divine which way God is leaning on the Super Bowl this year so I can place my bet.
A wiccan dude recently won the Powerball(or the other really big lottery), so I think that's the way to go - believing in whatever wiccans believe in that is.

Also, I'm really scared for the USA, but for a different reason:  People that can't work the self-checkout aisles at the grocery store.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

a_jaynepayne

I don't get how in part two the preacher was saying that the kids love hearing that god loves them and all that but in part one the lady got all of them in tears while they were repenting...I mean what could she have convinced them of that they did that was so wrong?  did that make sense?
I LOVE GEORGE CARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "It's all b.s. and it's bad for ya!

rlrose328

Quote from: "a_jaynepayne"I don't get how in part two the preacher was saying that the kids love hearing that god loves them and all that but in part one the lady got all of them in tears while they were repenting...I mean what could she have convinced them of that they did that was so wrong?  did that make sense?

Yes, it does make sense... the evangelicals believe just by LIVING, they are sinning (for some reason only their god knows), that no one lives without sinful thoughts, whether they voice them or not... jealousy is a big one.  Sso yes, the children have sinned.  Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever heard?
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Jesster85

Wow. I had heard of the movie before, but never watched it. That was one of the most disturbing things I or my wife have ever seen. I just keep hoping they will one day see how crazy they are.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."-Richard Dawkins

SteveS

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Also, I'm really scared for the USA, but for a different reason: People that can't work the self-checkout aisles at the grocery store.
:lol:  :lol:  Last time I used the self check out the person in front of me accidentally voted for Pat Buchanan.....

EbzDirtyHeathen

My secular student group here at my college had a showing of the movie (cost like 200 to show the movie, like 40 for food and drinks since we expected about 100 people but we got more then that and about 50 to the a/v tech) there was a pretty crazy long discussion and debate after that........ my group is thinking of one day sooner than later showing it again.