Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Funniest thing my parents ever said to me about science

Started by YoungAtheist, July 10, 2011, 05:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shy

Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2011, 07:23:56 AM
Quote from: Shy on July 13, 2011, 05:39:26 AM
I have an interest in astronomy. As I was talking to my God-fearing mother-in-law one day about Jupiter she said "I feel uncomfortable talking about that." Her reaction was if I asked her how my father-in-law was in the sack or something!

God in one hand, Jupiter in the other. Which weighs more? JUPITER!!!
Why was she uncomfortable?

I guess absurdsolidarity said it best. I was baffled. Never come across that before.

Tank

Quote from: Shy on July 14, 2011, 05:04:49 AM
I have an interest in astronomy. As I was talking to my God-fearing mother-in-law one day about Jupiter she said "I feel uncomfortable talking about that." Her reaction was if I asked her how my father-in-law was in the sack or something!

I guess absurdsolidarity said it best. I was baffled. Never come across that before.
Now this subject comes up I do recall my Mum saying something along the same lines.She was a 'weak' Church of England Christian We were discussing evolution and Charles Darwin and out of the blue my Mum said "Why did he have to go and complicate things!". Which really does sum it up for some people, they simply don't want to have to think. They want a simple answer and god is about the most simplistic argument you can get. It's a catch-all that suits the human ego and can't be wrong because it is based on wishful thinking (faith).
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2011, 09:39:18 AM
Quote from: Shy on July 14, 2011, 05:04:49 AM

Now this subject comes up I do recall my Mum saying something along the same lines.She was a 'weak' Church of England Christian We were discussing evolution and Charles Darwin and out of the blue my Mum said "Why did he have to go and complicate things!". Which really does sum it up for some people, they simply don't want to have to think. They want a simple answer and god is about the most simplistic argument you can get. It's a catch-all that suits the human ego and can't be wrong because it is based on wishful thinking (faith).

When I first deconverted, it was due to some of my own Bible research, as well as research in contemporary history and religions.  My first reaction when I realized it was all no different than other myths was that I wish I could go back and unsee it.  A ridiculous reaction to be sure, but still that was my initial reaction.  I felt this great fear that I had taken a step and couldn't go back, and that if I was wrong I was certainly going to hell, because I was actually denying God in whole for the first time.  Then I thought of all the consequences in society, at work, and with my family.  Seemed like a long, hard journey I had in front of me at the time.  When my wife mentioned something about the devil and I said, "What if the devil didn't exist?"  She said, "Don't talk like that, Fester30, you're scaring me."  She's coming along now, and lately she's dropping more and more of the Christian thing and going more toward a Deist perspective.  Still, it is scary when you're brought up to believe that going against god puts you in hell.  It's scary to learn things that make you doubt god at first.  For me, it took a few days to come to grips with it.  Some people it takes longer.

My mom used to tell me rain was the angels crying and thunder was the angels bowling.  Nowadays I'm a weather nerd  ;D

Sweetdeath

Lol! I'm actually scared of thunder. Yes, I know how it works, but that sound is so loud... @_@

If the angels are bowling up there, I need a really long broomstick handle to tell them to keep it down. xD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ihateyoumike

not my parent... but my grandpa (who's a catholic priest) claimed that a squid is just a small version of an octopus this last weekend. (facepalm)
He also (and hismikeness can confirm this) claims that if you smoke weed once in your life, that years down the road you might crack your back and have an hallucination from a "weed-flashback". (quadruple-facepalm)

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

hismikeness

Confirmed. I was like, REALLY?!? I'll take a weed flashback right now.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Asmodean

God created thermonuclear explosive devices too, but he does no let me play with them  :'(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

A weed flashback? XDD ... I gotta tell my gf that. That is hilarious and needs a double face palm.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.