What do you guys think about conspiracy theorists and how do you deal with them?

Started by SushiMouse, June 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 27, 2011, 12:22:29 AM
Quote from: Jabbles on June 27, 2011, 12:16:14 AM
I think it would be pretty funny to start a conspiracy theory just to see how big it would get.
Like God lives on planet Saturn?

You could probably make a decent cult with that theory
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

hismikeness

Quote from: SushiMouse on June 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM
My dad thinks that 9/11 was an inside job and that aliens are the missing link.
So, yeah, what do you do when they start ranting? Is there anything I could say to him to at least get him off my back?

Show him this:

An then explain why he's wrong.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Winterwolf00

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 25, 2011, 06:23:03 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 25, 2011, 01:38:48 AM
Quote from: SushiMouse on June 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM
My dad thinks that 9/11 was an inside job and that aliens are the missing link.
That's just stupid, aliens aren't the missing link, but they did steal it.
Link isn't missing. He's out back feeding Epona. :D

No, Romani is missing. She was abducted while Link was feeding Epona.  ;D

palebluedot

Best thing is to just ignore them.  You often find that their "facts" are numerous so you will lose the arguement as they are more practised than you.

Your defense is only that their facts are not correct in the first place.

Hidelight

"May I please have your stuff when the conspiracy (insert type here) happens?"

xSilverPhinx

I've recently registered at the Flat Earth society, and they're one such case. I really don't know why they think that the whole world (meaning everyone who has filmed or taken a picture of the Earth globe would want to falsificate it and photoshop or CGI it into a globe. Why would people do that?

It's ridiculous. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

fester30

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 15, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
I've recently registered at the Flat Earth society, and they're one such case. I really don't know why they think that the whole world (meaning everyone who has filmed or taken a picture of the Earth globe would want to falsificate it and photoshop or CGI it into a globe. Why would people do that?

It's ridiculous. 

Because they've hidden all the evidence of a JFK conspiracy involving the FBI, mafia, and Lyndon Johnson on the underside of the Earth's disk.  By falsifying the somewhat spherical nature of the earth, they can keep intelligent folks from knowing the truth and finding that evidence.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: fester30 on July 16, 2011, 08:00:05 AM

It's ridiculous. 

Because they've hidden all the evidence of a JFK conspiracy involving the FBI, mafia, and Lyndon Johnson on the underside of the Earth's disk.  By falsifying the somewhat spherical nature of the earth, they can keep intelligent folks from knowing the truth and finding that evidence.

If you just added one more thing - the evil freemasons - then everything would make perfect sense. I can see the bigger picture now. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

fester30

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 16, 2011, 01:18:58 PM
Quote from: fester30 on July 16, 2011, 08:00:05 AM

It's ridiculous. 

If you just added one more thing - the evil freemasons - then everything would make perfect sense. I can see the bigger picture now. 

You can't just throw in free masons without linking them to the conspiracy.  In this case, you happen to be right, but I'm not certain if you're aware of why, so I'll tell you.  The free masons are designing a gigantic table to set the earth disk upon so as to better stabilize it, so as to give us better predictability of the orbits of the sun, moon, and stars around our earth.  Scientists have been feeding us misinformation about the wobble of the stars, and they say the wobble means they don't orbit us.  All wobbles of all heavenly bodies in the firmament above the earth disk are actually due to the wobble of the earth disk itself.  Imagine a juggler spinning a plate on a stick and how the plate wobbles.  That's similar to our current situation.  The free masons are actually providing earth a great service by working to stabilize our disk.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on July 16, 2011, 02:52:26 PM
You can't just throw in free masons without linking them to the conspiracy.  In this case, you happen to be right, but I'm not certain if you're aware of why, so I'll tell you.  The free masons are designing a gigantic table to set the earth disk upon so as to better stabilize it, so as to give us better predictability of the orbits of the sun, moon, and stars around our earth.  Scientists have been feeding us misinformation about the wobble of the stars, and they say the wobble means they don't orbit us.  All wobbles of all heavenly bodies in the firmament above the earth disk are actually due to the wobble of the earth disk itself.  Imagine a juggler spinning a plate on a stick and how the plate wobbles.  That's similar to our current situation.  The free masons are actually providing earth a great service by working to stabilize our disk.

I hope you don't put yourself at too much risk gathering this sort of information.
There is life on the underside of the disk, but not as you know it.

fester30

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 16, 2011, 03:12:33 PM
Quote from: fester30 on July 16, 2011, 02:52:26 PM
You can't just throw in free masons without linking them to the conspiracy.  In this case, you happen to be right, but I'm not certain if you're aware of why, so I'll tell you.  The free masons are designing a gigantic table to set the earth disk upon so as to better stabilize it, so as to give us better predictability of the orbits of the sun, moon, and stars around our earth.  Scientists have been feeding us misinformation about the wobble of the stars, and they say the wobble means they don't orbit us.  All wobbles of all heavenly bodies in the firmament above the earth disk are actually due to the wobble of the earth disk itself.  Imagine a juggler spinning a plate on a stick and how the plate wobbles.  That's similar to our current situation.  The free masons are actually providing earth a great service by working to stabilize our disk.

I hope you don't put yourself at too much risk gathering this sort of information.
There is life on the underside of the disk, but not as you know it.

-
I'm not worried.  All I have to do is gain access to one of your hats and they let me in the club.

The Magic Pudding

Abletony

Gawen

What do you guys think about conspiracy theorists and how do you deal with them?

I laugh.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor