What do you guys think about conspiracy theorists and how do you deal with them?

Started by SushiMouse, June 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SushiMouse

My dad thinks that 9/11 was an inside job and that aliens are the missing link.
So, yeah, what do you do when they start ranting? Is there anything I could say to him to at least get him off my back?

Crow

Generally just ignore them.

I listen but don't engage due to my own experience with conspiracy theorists. Nothing you say or evidence you show them will change there opinion plus there views are usually harmless and sometimes bring to light some really interesting information.
Retired member.

Whitney

I usually show them the facts (or not, depends on the topic and how much time I want to waste) then move on when they continue to express zero interest in considering more likely solutions to the problems posed by their conspiracy theories.

fester30

God is all-powerful.
The government is covering it up.
Both religions and conspiracy theories have one very big thing in common... they both have one statement that can fly in the face of all real evidence.  Instead of arguing with them, encourage them.  Feed them some more fake facts that reinforce their beliefs.  It's fun making gullible people look like idiots.

Will

Quote from: SushiMouse on June 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM
So, yeah, what do you do when they start ranting? Is there anything I could say to him to at least get him off my back?
What evidence does he have to support this hypothesis? Do his extraordinary claims have extraordinary evidence? Does his hypothesis, compared to all other hypothesis, make the least assumptions?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

xSilverPhinx

I just ignore them, and I've seen some weird conspiracy theories in my time.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

That's just stupid, aliens aren't the missing link, but they did steal it.

Jabbles

I have argued in the past but I try to just ignore now. I love the ones involving governments though. The big bad "man" can keep the hundreds of people quiet about their involvement in 9/11 but sex scandals involving a few people happen all the time.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 25, 2011, 01:38:48 AM
That's just stupid, aliens aren't the missing link, but they did steal it.
Link isn't missing. He's out back feeding Epona. :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Will on June 24, 2011, 10:59:24 PM
What evidence does he have to support this hypothesis? Do his extraordinary claims have extraordinary evidence? Does his hypothesis, compared to all other hypothesis, make the least assumptions?

Or he could just see these questions as evidence that people are covering up the truth. Sometimes it's pointless.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

A hobby like any other, I suppose... Except when it results in a psychotic breakdown.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I actually used to be friends with someone who went bonkers after he started getting into conspiracy theories. He moved out of town and completely fell off the map. Most of us didn't know for a year or so if he was even alive any more. It was nuts.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Melmoth

I nod and frown and generally patronise them until they go away. Unless they're the antisemitic, jews-invented-cancer sort, in which case I avoid them entirely. When they're that far gone they just get boring.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Jabbles

I think it would be pretty funny to start a conspiracy theory just to see how big it would get.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Jabbles on June 27, 2011, 12:16:14 AM
I think it would be pretty funny to start a conspiracy theory just to see how big it would get.
Like God lives on planet Saturn?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.