News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Greetings! Newcomer to the forums!

Started by Screenwriter805, May 27, 2011, 04:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screenwriter805

A little about myself: I'm an ex catholic, indoctrinated from birth, and freed at 15, then subdued again, then freed at 18 once more and have not gone back since. I have an M.S. in biology and a B.S. In Theology, and an affinity for entomology, which will result in a third certificate in due tome.

I have no belief, as I find the term akin to faith, which I do not entertain either. I'm easy to get along with but share no need to respect absurdity when it arises and will confront it at

The below was written whilst in the heat of vexation. Dismiss it, or understand it.

I AM AN ATHEIST THAT ADVOCATES THE ABOLISHMENT OF SUPERSTITION. I APOLOGIZE IF THAT SEEMS 'INTOLERANT" OR " LACKS IN CIVILITY".

AND, YES, THIS IS A SATIRICAL REVISION PREDOMINANTLY AIMED AT THIS "TANK" FELLOW. WHO ASSERTS THAT I MAY NOT FIT IN. AS WE ALL KNOW, IMMEDIATE SUGGESTION OF OSTRACIZATION IS A VERY PRODUCTIVE WAY TO START ON A FORUM.

AS A MEMBER OF THE ATHEIST MOVEMENT, I AM PROUD TO SPEAK UP AND WILL NOT LET THE CLOUD OF ARBITRARY RESPECT DILUTE PROGRESS. DISLIKE IT ALL YOU WISH, BUT AN ATHEIST THAT CHAMPIONS ATHEISM AND IS LOOKED DOWN ON IT IN AN ATHEIST FORUM MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

WHEN WE STOP LOOKING AT IT FROM A DEBATE POINT OF VIEW AND ACCEPT THAT SCIENCE IS ABOVE RELIGION, WE WILL BE MUCH BETTER OFF.

ANY ATHEIST WHO FINDS THIS INTOLERANT SHOULD LOOK AT THE RETARDATION OF PROGRESS FORCED UPON HUMANITY BY ECCLESIASTICS AND THEN TRULY FIND THE MALIGNED CONVICTION TO SAY I AM THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT.

It's nice to be a member of a forum such as this!

My name is Andrew, I'm an author, and family man dedicated to the atheist movement. I don't tolerate supernatural nonsense of any kind and am proud to be a freethinker like all of you! Let's show the world what were really about! I look forward to productive discussions in the near future!

Pick up my latest book if your a closet atheist that needs a nudge to come out!

Hyperlink removed by moderator.

Have a great day/afternoon/night, my new allies!

hismikeness

Welcome to HAF.

Hyperlink removed in 3, 2, 1...
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 04:34:27 AM
Have a great day/afternoon/night, my new allies!

That could be assuming too much too soon.
Welcome if you are real.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome! Though I have the feeling that you're going to be a one time poster...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Screenwriter805

Why would you assume I wasn't real? Lol

A bit presumptuous, m'thinks.

In any event someone said I presumed too much too soon. Fair enough, but need I point out that atheists are already in short supply of allies, lol. But if you want one less, by all means, let skepticism take it's course. Lol

The Black Jester

Welcome, let's see what you've got...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 07:18:21 AM

In any event someone said I presumed too much too soon. Fair enough, but need I point out that atheists are already in short supply of allies, lol. But if you want one less, by all means, let skepticism take it's course. Lol

You may be an atheist, but that does not excuse you the curtsey of reading and then abiding by the rules, which your first post illustrates you did not bother to do. This is not your average theist hateing forum, you may not fit in here.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 07:18:21 AM

No one has told you go away, putting a link to a book tends to make people sceptical about why you are here.  We do have some theist allies here, and some entertaining others as well, (hello Byron).  The line "I don't tolerate supernatural nonsense of any kind" could be interpreted as well, intolerant.  If you have a no supernatural nonsense policy for yourself, that seems sensible.

Screenwriter805

I see. In effect, this is a forum is only for sharing constructive dialogue between theists and atheists?

Davin

No, that is part of it not "only" it. It's centered around civility, so effectively the forum is only for civil conversations.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

The Black Jester

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 04:39:00 PM
I see. In effect, this is a forum is only for sharing constructive dialogue between theists and atheists?

Not at all.  Read around some more, you'll see plenty of arguments between theists and atheists, many of which get fairly heated.  What is not tolerated, from anyone are ad hominem attacks.  We try to restrict our disagreements to the rational points involved.  Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

Screenwriter805

I had to re-read that... Intolerance of the supernatural is intolerant? What atheist doesn't believe in no gods but believes in supernatural phenomenon? Are you kidding me? That may be "my" view? Was this page started by an actual atheist?

I think your absolutely correct, Tank, I would not fit in here. I have no qualms about stating that religion is a detriment to our species. Many moderate theists are decent folks, but their religion is still obsolete. Your enabling is quite perturbing, unless you are a theist, yourself. Ultimately, it's the fundamentalists I can't stand. And it isn't about "theist hating", let's try to subdue the dramatic tone.

I truly wish to understand the atheists ability to "respect" theist ideology. How is this constructive? Is it because the atheists here are confident that if you can not beat them, live amongst them in harmony? I sincerely want to understand. What prompted the inception of this site? What atheist doesn't have a problem with the perpetuation of superstition? More importantly... WHY? And if one uses the claim, "well, you just never know..." I would assert that that person was not atheistic.. That sounds like agnostic.

So please, Tank, or anyone else, edify me as to how or why we need to respect archaic views that stifle our progress as a species. I expect sound arguments from Tank, as I see his posts are pretty well thought out. That's not a subversive tactic to gain favor, by the way. I know we won't like one another, lol, but I still want to understand the rationale of this forum's members.

Screenwriter805

Jester, davin.. I see your points. You two make sense, but where was I not civil? This is my very point, this Tank fellow says something, and all of a sudden I'm some tactless fool, lol. I dare say, the guys ego would benefit from an evaluation.

If the forum wants a member who argues rationally, I'd think I would absolutely fit in here. I have an M.S. in biology and a B.S. in Theology, I don't exactly have reasons philosophically, nor scientifically vacuous to stand on, lol.

Nice to meet you two Btw. :)

The Black Jester

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 05:08:36 PM
Jester, davin.. I see your points. You two make sense, but where was I not civil? This is my very point, this Tank fellow says something, and all of a sudden I'm some tactless fool, lol. I dare say, the guys ego would benefit from an evaluation.

If the forum wants a member who argues rationally, I'd think I would absolutely fit in here. I have an M.S. in biology and a B.S. in Theology, I don't exactly have reasons philosophically, nor scientifically vacuous to stand on, lol.

Nice to meet you two Btw. :)

Very nice to meet you as well.  I wasn't personally offended, either myself or on behalf of anyone else, by your initial post.  I responded solely to your suggestion that this site merely fosters accomodationism.  That has simply not been my experience here, and certainly not from Tank.  I have seen Tank take apart a number of arrogant Theists who came here to preach and ridicule.  I can't speak for Tank, so I'm not certain what specifically put him off about your OP.

In any case, my experience here has been one of robust debate over matters both between athiests and theists and among atheists themselves, on every subject under the sun.  The only punches pulled are personal attacks.  But if anyone makes an unfounded or poorly thought out remark, they are quickly taken to task.
The Black Jester

Tank

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 05:03:01 PM
I had to re-read that... Intolerance of the supernatural is intolerant? What atheist doesn't believe in no gods but believes in supernatural phenomenon? Are you kidding me? That may be "my" view? Was this page started by an actual atheist?

I think your absolutely correct, Tank, I would not fit in here. I have no qualms about stating that religion is a detriment to our species. Many moderate theists are decent folks, but their religion is still obsolete. Your enabling is quite perturbing, unless you are a theist, yourself. Ultimately, it's the fundamentalists I can't stand. And it isn't about "theist hating", let's try to subdue the dramatic tone.

I truly wish to understand the atheists ability to "respect" theist ideology. How is this constructive? Is it because the atheists here are confident that if you can not beat them, live amongst them in harmony? I sincerely want to understand. What prompted the inception of this site? What atheist doesn't have a problem with the perpetuation of superstition? More importantly... WHY? And if one uses the claim, "well, you just never know..." I would assert that that person was not atheistic.. That sounds like agnostic.

So please, Tank, or anyone else, edify me as to how or why we need to respect archaic views that stifle our progress as a species. I expect sound arguments from Tank, as I see his posts are pretty well thought out. That's not a subversive tactic to gain favor, by the way. I know we won't like one another, lol, but I still want to understand the rationale of this forum's members.

I think you are confusing my attitude to my fellow human beings and the world views they hold. I did not say that we should respect the institutionalised superstitions (religions) that hold sway over vast swathes of humanity. What I do say is that here, on this forum, we have a particular way of behaving. If you do not feel like making the effort to find out about that then you may find it difficult to express yourself in a way that suits this forum, that is all. What you do about what I have said is entirely up to you, but I won't be losing any sleep over it one way on the other.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.