News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Greetings! Newcomer to the forums!

Started by Screenwriter805, May 27, 2011, 04:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 31, 2011, 05:20:40 AM

McQ I make no apology.

I did not request an apology from you. Straw Man #1 from you. I'm a forum moderator and suggested you read the forum rules. I did so in a polite, but clear manner.

Assuming Tank is an adult, it would be fair to assume he can speak for himself.

No one spoke for Tank. Another Straw Man

There was nothing uncivil about my posts while Tank's post sounded elitist to this reader.

Your opinion as to the tone of your post is simply your opinion. My opinion on it is mine, but in this forum, that's the opinion that matters. And (using your argument) if no one may judge the tone of your posts in a way that you disagree with, then you certainly don't have the right to judge Tank's, do you? No. You don't. But the fact is we all judge posts based on how we perceive them. As the forum moderator, it is my job to ensure that posts remain within forum rules. I judge yours as not being within them.

Considering me rude is your prerogative as is mine to consider your questioning of anyone's sincerity to be bigoted. Your suggestion is duly noted, and thusly disregarded.

See my previous response. And note that refusing to follow the directives of a forum moderator is grounds for being restricted within the forum or banned. None of this information is hidden and applies to you when you sign up for the forum. This forum is privately run, and as such, you are here at the discretion of the owner, Whitney.

I would suggest being more concerned with combating the suppression of free thought rather than policing compulsory pleasantries.

When you run your own forum, you may do so as you like. Also, nice try with the "martyr" stance of having your free thought suppressed. That never happened, but it is a common tact of trolls we get here, so we've seen it a lot. If I had a dime for every person who's tried that one...
But since we only require civility, we know that the forum isn't suppressing free thought.

As atheists there are far more important issues to combat with "civility".

If you don't like civility or the forum rules, you are free to post in any of the countless forums on the internet. If you want to participate here, follow the forum rules. It's that simple.

So in closing thank you all for the replies, and if I'm not booted off the site for not blindly respecting a stranger's impositions, which is quite sardonic considering the forums theme, I'll see you in the threads.

If not, I don't feel much of a loss being booted off a freethinking site that is run with a bizarrely Christian-esque feel to it.

You've been given the information you need to remain here. Whether or not you stay is up to how you choose to deal with it and respond. I have no feeling on it one way or the other. Interesting that you feel equipped to make the assessment of the site having a christian-esque feel to it after so short a time. Whatever that means. If we don't meet your expectations or your approval, feel free to not participate. We won't feel the loss either. I promise.

In the meantime, I again suggest reading the forum rules, already given to you.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Screenwriter...I'll third (or maybe it is fourth of fifth now) that you read the forum rules.  Everyone has to comply with them, even I get nudged in the right direction if I break one on occasion (and I own the forum).

It's not a request, just read them...very simple.

If you had read them prior to posting you would have left out the links and this thread wouldn't have become a trainwreck.

I also don't like your current attitude...take a deep breath and quit acting offended over nothing.

Btw, requiring civility of people is not christianesque; it's how mature adults communicate.  If you have a problem with that..well, that's not my problem.

Will37

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 04:34:27 AM
A little about myself: I'm an ex catholic, indoctrinated from birth, and freed at 15, then subdued again, then freed at 18 once more and have not gone back since. I have an M.S. in biology and a B.S. In Theology, and an affinity for entomology, which will result in a third certificate in due tome.

I have no belief, as I find the term akin to faith, which I do not entertain either. I'm easy to get along with but share no need to respect absurdity when it arises and will confront it at

The below was written whilst in the heat of vexation. Dismiss it, or understand it.

I AM AN ATHEIST THAT ADVOCATES THE ABOLISHMENT OF SUPERSTITION. I APOLOGIZE IF THAT SEEMS 'INTOLERANT" OR " LACKS IN CIVILITY".

AND, YES, THIS IS A SATIRICAL REVISION PREDOMINANTLY AIMED AT THIS "TANK" FELLOW. WHO ASSERTS THAT I MAY NOT FIT IN. AS WE ALL KNOW, IMMEDIATE SUGGESTION OF OSTRACIZATION IS A VERY PRODUCTIVE WAY TO START ON A FORUM.

AS A MEMBER OF THE ATHEIST MOVEMENT, I AM PROUD TO SPEAK UP AND WILL NOT LET THE CLOUD OF ARBITRARY RESPECT DILUTE PROGRESS. DISLIKE IT ALL YOU WISH, BUT AN ATHEIST THAT CHAMPIONS ATHEISM AND IS LOOKED DOWN ON IT IN AN ATHEIST FORUM MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

WHEN WE STOP LOOKING AT IT FROM A DEBATE POINT OF VIEW AND ACCEPT THAT SCIENCE IS ABOVE RELIGION, WE WILL BE MUCH BETTER OFF.

ANY ATHEIST WHO FINDS THIS INTOLERANT SHOULD LOOK AT THE RETARDATION OF PROGRESS FORCED UPON HUMANITY BY ECCLESIASTICS AND THEN TRULY FIND THE MALIGNED CONVICTION TO SAY I AM THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT.

It's nice to be a member of a forum such as this!

My name is Andrew, I'm an author, and family man dedicated to the atheist movement. I don't tolerate supernatural nonsense of any kind and am proud to be a freethinker like all of you! Let's show the world what were really about! I look forward to productive discussions in the near future!

Pick up my latest book if your a closet atheist that needs a nudge to come out!

Hyperlink removed by moderator.

Have a great day/afternoon/night, my new allies!

THANK YOU ANDREW, I LOVED READING YOUR THOUGHTS! 

YOUR BOOK SEEMS UTTERLY BRILLIANT. 

PLEASE CONSIDER ALSO CHECKING OUT MY BOOK!

YOU CAN BUY IT ON AMAZON, HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE TITLE PAGE!

'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

Will37

Quote from: Screenwriter805 on May 27, 2011, 04:34:27 AM

AND, YES, THIS IS A SATIRICAL REVISION PREDOMINANTLY AIMED AT THIS "TANK" FELLOW.

I don't think you understand how satire works.
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

ThinkAnarchy

Did he go away? Perhaps civility was to difficult. Oh well, I was really curious about his attitude.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

bicycle

VERY INTERESTING, I LIKE HOW YOU THINK. WOULD LOVE TO GAIN SOME INSIGHT FROM YOU, I SEEM TO NOT UNDERSTAND ATHEISM.