News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

For the love of Christ

Started by thedport, May 16, 2011, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedport

Love, peace, tolerance, compassion, education, these are the things that Jesus Christ stood for. I find myself wondering what happened to these basic principles. Why when Jesus was able to see past the sins of a whore, washing her feet, telling her she is not a bad person. Why can't Christians find the same compassion? Is it because they do not feel they have to sacrifice their moral pride in order to help?

Sadly I feel that more Christians are going to go to hell than they think.  I think the conversation will go something like this.

"Welcome to heaven Mr. Anderson."

"Oh wow this place is amazing!"

"Yeah well, we like to keep our promises."

"No this is better than I could have ever expected, when do I get to go in.?

"You don't."

"Wait what?"

"You don't get to go in."

"But why, I did what I was supposed to. I accepted Jesus as my lord and savior! I went to church every Sunday; I prayed and asked forgiveness for my sins. What did I do wrong?"

"Well let's take a look. Looks like you spent your life drinking in excess. You cheated on your wife, twice. You disowned your son because he was a homosexual. Consequently he fell into a deep depression because all he ever wanted was your love and understanding. He killed himself because of that, you know that right? You taught your grandchildren that black people were lazy thieves, and that anyone that didn't have the same faith as you wasn't worth your time, because they were going to hell anyway. I could keep going but I think you've got the picture."

"But I accepted Jesus!"

"Do you think that gives you free reign to be a prick? No, Jesus died to bring you closer to god, not to let you act like a monster."

"I am so sorry. I didn't realize."

"Really, you didn't realize? The teachings of Jesus weren't clear enough? Do unto others, love thy neighbor, cultivate love, and understanding? It's too little too late for sorry. Maybe eternity will give you some time to find the true nature of Jesus. Good bye Mr. Anderson."
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

Cecilie

Sending people to heaven just so that they can be sent to hell again makes god look like an a-hole.
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: Cecilie on May 17, 2011, 06:14:05 AM
Sending people to heaven just so that they can be sent to hell again makes god look like an a-hole.

There may be a good reason for it... Because someone created god in his own image and that person was... Well, an asshole, perhaps?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

JoeBobSmith

Quote from: Cecilie on May 17, 2011, 06:14:05 AM

lmao
JoeBobSmith

Stevil

I feel Christian's are in an extreme bind. Trying to make sense of a nonsensical book without having the opportunity to talk to the author to gain clarity. On top of that, having the understanding that your eternal position in heaven or hell is based on you having the correct understanding and following that to the letter. It must be bloody terrifying to them to see so many interpretations. Then when their own inner voice conflicts with the teachings (e.g. what's so wrong with people being gay?, what's so wrong with practicing safe sex?).

fester30

Quote from: thedport on May 16, 2011, 10:43:19 PM
Love, peace, tolerance, compassion, education, these are the things that Jesus Christ stood for. I find myself wondering what happened to these basic principles. Why when Jesus was able to see past the sins of a whore, washing her feet, telling her she is not a bad person. Why can't Christians find the same compassion? Is it because they do not feel they have to sacrifice their moral pride in order to help?

Jesus did not wash the feet of a whore.  He washed the feet of his Disciples.  Mary Magdalene (not a whore, but commonly confused as one) washed Jesus' feet.

QuoteSadly I feel that more Christians are going to go to hell than they think.  I think the conversation will go something like this.

Mr. Anderson from the Matrix or perhaps Beavis and Butthead?

Quote"Oh wow this place is amazing!"

"You don't."

"Wait what?"

"But why, I did what I was supposed to. I accepted Jesus as my lord and savior! I went to church every Sunday; I prayed and asked forgiveness for my sins. What did I do wrong?"

"Well let's take a look. Looks like you spent your life drinking in excess. You cheated on your wife, twice. You disowned your son because he was a homosexual. Consequently he fell into a deep depression because all he ever wanted was your love and understanding. He killed himself because of that, you know that right? You taught your grandchildren that black people were lazy thieves, and that anyone that didn't have the same faith as you wasn't worth your time, because they were going to hell anyway. I could keep going but I think you've got the picture."

There are many cases in the Bible of trouble between fathers and sons, way back to Noah's son seeing his nakedness.  Disowning your son isn't a reason to get sent to hell.  Considering the Bible's stance on homosexuality, disowning your son for being gay would kinda be a plus.  A man doesn't cheat on his wife.  If a man has sex with a woman who winds up having sex with someone else, he has caused her to commit adultery.  In other words, it's not his sin, it's hers.  In other places it actually says that it is a sin for a man to commit adultery.  I guess it's not important.  According to the Bible, anyone that doesn't have the same faith as you is dangerous to be around.  Then again the Bible also says you should go forth and preach the word.  Again, I guess we have to make up our own minds.

Quote"But I accepted Jesus!"

"Do you think that gives you free reign to be a prick? No, Jesus died to bring you closer to god, not to let you act like a monster."

"Really, you didn't realize? The teachings of Jesus weren't clear enough? Do unto others, love thy neighbor, cultivate love, and understanding? It's too little too late for sorry. Maybe eternity will give you some time to find the true nature of Jesus. Good bye Mr. Anderson."

Yes, the Bible has rules in it that followers should live by.  However, it does actually say that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  Regardless of the sinful life (as all are sinful) salvation is through Christ.  So, yes, a man who is a prick and has done all these things can still get into heaven, according to the scriptures.  Then again, a person doesn't have to accept Christ, either, they just have to be written in the book of life according to their works.  Why not just ditch all the confusion and be free of it?  I think Mr. Anderson will be just fine decomposing in the ground just like any other dead people.

PapistItalian16

Sadly I feel that more Christians are going to go to hell than they think.  I think the conversation will go something like this.

"You don't."

"Wait what?"

"But I accepted Jesus!"

You are stereotyping Christianity, and I am very much offended by it.

By this this it seems you are calling all Christians hypocrites. You are calling me a hypocrite, the very thing Jesus preached against. And i dont take kindly to that. So what, we have a few rotten apples, doesnt everybody?

Only about a quarter of Christians are actually "hypocrites". I personally know at least 50 good men that gave up all of their possesions and all their wealth to live in poverty and try and make someone els's life better through community service. I know many, many, many christians who are VERY compassionate.

edit: to take out some things that I would regret saying later when i calm down. Actually i ended up taking out A LOT of things. lol. You seem like a good guy, Thedport, and I wouldnt want to offend.  Now that I am starting to calm down I'll say this: didnt mean any offence, just kinda snapped. But my point remains the same: Sure there are those christians who do not fullly understand their faith, but that doesnt mean all of us are like that.
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

thedport

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 18, 2011, 02:13:37 AM

Sadly I feel that more Christians are going to go to hell than they think.  I think the conversation will go something like this.

"You don't."

"Wait what?"

"But I accepted Jesus!"

By this this it seems you are calling all Christians hypocrites. You are calling me a hypocrite, the very thing Jesus preached against. And i dont take kindly to that. So what, we have a few rotten apples, doesnt everybody?

Only about a quarter of Christians are actually "hypocrites". I personally know at least 50 good men that gave up all of their possesions and all their wealth to live in poverty and try and make someone els's life better through community service. I know many, many, many christians who are VERY compassionate.

edit: to take out some things that I would regret saying later when i calm down. Actually i ended up taking out A LOT of things. lol. You seem like a good guy, Thedport, and I wouldnt want to offend.  Now that I am starting to calm down I'll say this: didnt mean any offence, just kinda snapped. But my point remains the same: Sure there are those christians who do not fullly understand their faith, but that doesnt mean all of us are like that.

I did not mean to offend you and for that I am regretably sorry. :-[

I was trying to convey my displeasure with the "Sunday Christians" the ones that really only follow the teachings one day a week. I do not mean all christians are this way, I know many christians myself that I respect very much because they sacrifice a lot in order to follow in the foot steps of the good word. Again I am sorry if I offended you, I just wanted to give some food for though to those "bad apples" lol.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

PapistItalian16

Quote from: fester30 on May 17, 2011, 11:56:10 AM

A man doesn't cheat on his wife.  If a man has sex with a woman who winds up having sex with someone else, he has caused her to commit adultery. in other words, it's not his sin, it's hers.  In other places it actually says that it is a sin for a man to commit adultery.  I guess it's not important.  According to the Bible, anyone that doesn't have the same faith as you is dangerous to be around.  Then again the Bible also says you should go forth and preach the word.  Again, I guess we have to make up our own minds.

Can you site where you got the underlined interpritations from?

Yes, the Bible has rules in it that followers should live by.  However, it does actually say that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  Regardless of the sinful life (as all are sinful) salvation is through Christ. 

Right, but to truly believe in Christ you must follow Him. When you follow Him he will make himself known to you. One can not truly beleive in something if they do not know it. Sure, one could easily say they believe in something, but they dont truly believe, because they do not know.

Look at it in the sense if a cause (ie: a revolution). Sure it easy to say that you believe in said cause, but unless you truly know what it stands for, your vews can easily be faltered by outside influences.

So, yes, a man who is a prick and has done all these things can still get into heaven, according to the scriptures.  
Wrong. 

"Woe to the worthless shepherd who leaves his flock!"-- Zachariah 11:17 Translation: Woe to the father that deserts his family.

The whole second chapter of the book of Micah is titled "Woe to Oppressors".

"Woe to those who rise early in the morning that they may pursue strong drink, Who stay up late in the evening that wine may inflame them!"-- Isaiah 5:11

Woe is being used as a warning of the result of said sins.
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: thedport on May 18, 2011, 02:51:28 AM

I did not mean to offend you and for that I am regretably sorry. :-[

I was trying to convey my displeasure with the "Sunday Christians" the ones that really only follow the teachings one day a week. I do not mean all christians are this way, I know many christians myself that I respect very much because they sacrifice a lot in order to follow in the foot steps of the good word. Again I am sorry if I offended you, I just wanted to give some food for though to those "bad apples" lol.

Now that I have calmed down, I see what you are adressing.  ;D

I'm just really sick of all the Christian bashing jokes that get posted on this forum.

-- Firefly.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 18, 2011, 03:22:39 AM
"Woe to those who rise early in the morning that they may pursue strong drink, Who stay up late in the evening that wine may inflame them!"-- Isaiah 5:11

Woe is being used as a warning of the result of said sins.

I've always lent my support to the scholars who have interpreted this usage of "woe" to mean "hang over".
The sufferer of a hangover can often be heard chanting woe, woe, woe. If there is an eternal woe waiting akin to a hangover, well that is a matter of concern.

Stevil

It is good to have theists around to keep us somewhat honest.

Whitney

Quote from: Stevil on May 18, 2011, 07:50:18 AM
It is good to have theists around to keep us somewhat honest.

Yes...I agree...even as much as I try I don't always catch stuff that might be rightfully viewed as offensive by others.

But Papist...you might need to grow a bit thicker skin; you can disagree without actually being offended.  I don't know about you, but when I'm actually offended in the real sense I get really pissed off and somewhat irrational (that's what humans do when mad); so just keep that in mind if something starts to actually offend you (it might be time to take a few deep breaths).  Not liking what is said is a different story; and will happen often here but shouldn't equal being offended.

What I'd suggest going forward is to ask for clarification first and then be offended (you probably wouldn't believe how many times some theist has posted something offensives here but it turns out they intended to direct the comment at just a specific type of atheist...or I guess you would believe if you looked at our back logs of posts) if the person continues to promote whatever they said that bothered you...and if they offend because they are not approaching the conversation civilly than I or another staff member will step in.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Whitney on May 18, 2011, 08:17:49 AM
Yes...I agree...even as much as I try I don't always catch stuff that might be rightfully viewed as offensive by others.

But Papist...you might need to grow a bit thicker skin; you can disagree without actually being offended.  I don't know about you, but when I'm actually offended in the real sense I get really pissed off and somewhat irrational (that's what humans do when mad); so just keep that in mind if something starts to actually offend you (it might be time to take a few deep breaths).  Not liking what is said is a different story; and will happen often here but shouldn't equal being offended.

What I'd suggest going forward is to ask for clarification first and then be offended (you probably wouldn't believe how many times some theist has posted something offensives here but it turns out they intended to direct the comment at just a specific type of atheist...or I guess you would believe if you looked at our back logs of posts) if the person continues to promote whatever they said that bothered you...and if they offend because they are not approaching the conversation civilly than I or another staff member will step in.

You are very right. In retrosepect I am still very new to online forums and still have a ways to go before I can truly be "good at it".

-- Firefly.

Crow

You have the right to be offended but thedport has the right to his opinions, if his opinion is in opposition to yours you are most likely to get offended by at least one small point. However the thedports words weren't really that offensive just highlighting the hypocrisy about certain people who consider themselves to be christians and follow the teachings of the fable Jesus.
Retired member.