News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Libertarianism and Jury Duty

Started by SteveS, September 10, 2007, 06:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

Quote from: "SteveS"A shrewd and totally reasonable question; I was wondering about this exact same thing myself.

Thank you, kind sir.   :o   I was on a roll this morning, thinking in overdrive, thanks to my new exercise routine.  Gotta get back on that tomorrow... one day on, one off... will that work?   :)

Quote from: "SteveS"If the trial is expected to be lengthy, then I will beg off service on the grounds that my absence will be far too disruptive to my business.  This is not a lie or exaggeration of any kind (all this and humble too  :wink:  ).  

Both of your scenarios make complete sense and I concur... I think I would do the same given the same circumstances.

Quote from: "SteveS"If they become derisive or abusive, I will accuse them of being good little Nazis and began goose-stepping around the room, alternating cries of "Heil Hitler" with bronx cheers, until they agree to submit a hung jury notification to the judge.

<snort>  Thank you SOOO much for that!  I needed a good laugh!  LOL!

Quote from: "SteveS"P.S.  I'm doing something right, I'm getting over my grouchiness - my lighthearted nature is reasserting itself!  You folks make for wonderful therapy - I thank you all!

I THOUGHT I noticed something different about you.   :lol:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

Quote from: "rlrose328"Thank you, kind sir.
The pleasure is mine, noble madam.  8)  

Quote from: "rlrose328"thanks to my new exercise routine. Gotta get back on that tomorrow... one day on, one off... will that work?
Only if you solemnly swear to drink heavily on the off days!

:D

rlrose328

Quote from: "SteveS"Only if you solemnly swear to drink heavily on the off days!

I do so swear.  :-)

But doesn't that mean my ARM is getting exercise?
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

Quote from: "rlrose328"But doesn't that mean my ARM is getting exercise?
Ah, but not if you use a straw...

izult

Well this thread has been a real education.  I don't remember anything about jury nullification in the law classes i took a couple years back.  What a nice tid bit to keep tucked away as a trump card.

SteveS

Yes.  The trick is if, in voie dire, the judge specifically asks if you are capable of following his instruction (I'm not sure if they ask this or not), then how can I answer "yes" without lying?  If I lie to the judge, then I'm lying.  If I don't lie to the judge, then I'll be dismissed.  I suppose I could say "I will follow all instructions of the judge that are compatible with justice".  They'll probably smoke where I'm going with that though....

Seems like a nice little catch-22.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "SteveS""I will follow all instructions of the judge that are compatible with justice".  

I think I'll write that on my hand when I go for jury duty next month.  

Thanks, SteveS.   :)

SteveS

Haha, you are very welcome MommaSquid!  I think that this approach is practically the same thing as following donkeyhoty's excellent advice.  On This Web Site, somebody named Walter Williams apparently did this and was dismissed.  Here follows the relevant excerpt from the site:

Quote from: "www.fiesian.com"I was summoned for jury duty some years ago, and during voir dire, the attorney asked me whether I could obey the judge's instructions. I answered, "It all depends upon what those instructions are." Irritatingly, the judge asked me to explain myself. I explained that if I were on a jury back in the 1850s, and a person was on trial for violating the Fugitive Slave Act by assisting a runaway slave, I would vote for acquittal regardless of the judge's instructions. The reason is that slavery is unjust and any law supporting it is unjust. Needless to say, I was dismissed from jury duty.

Walter Williams, 11 July 2007
I have no idea who Walter Williams is, and whether or not these events actually transpired, but I find the described situation to be very likely to occur.

Presuming the event described to be true, this would constitute empirical evidence that donkeyhoty's strategy functions as intended in the real world.  If you are not dismissed, though, you would have no reservation about executing jury nullification as you clearly described your intentions under a particular situation --- you are free from having made any dishonest or misleading statements.  Another plus!  :wink: