Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

New convert to your Athiesm religion

Started by theRapture, May 12, 2011, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedport

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 13, 2011, 03:23:52 PM
Quote from: Whitney on May 12, 2011, 09:40:43 PM
btw, and maybe the other Catholics around here could clarify...but I thought the Catholic church was not concerned with end times prophecy.  So I don't really understand how you came to be brainwashed into the belief and are now having a hard time getting over it.

We Catholics dont get concerned about the "end of days" for the same reason most people dont pay attention to the random TV shows about the "Apocalypse". We would become paranoid.

And paranoia can lead directly to mass hysteria. Which is very very bad.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

Crow

Quote from: thedport on May 15, 2011, 01:44:44 AM

And paranoia can lead directly to mass hysteria. Which is very very bad.

Or just plain funny tanzanian laughter epidemic, or a stranger more serious case (but still funny) The dancing plague of 1518
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Whitney on May 12, 2011, 09:40:43 PM
theRapture...I'm trying to understand your posts a bit better....how old are you and is English your first language?

btw, and maybe the other Catholics around here could clarify...but I thought the Catholic church was not concerned with end times prophecy.  So I don't really understand how you came to be brainwashed into the belief and are now having a hard time getting over it.

I quit reading after this post, so it may have already been answered. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools most of my life. I remember several religion teachers discussing the "final countdown..." *clears throat* I mean "final judgment. I can't remember what they told us, but I remember my vision of what would happen based upon what they said.

Essentially I viewed it as this:
Jesus lined everyone up along the street, walking down a line, and shouting out everyone's sins. He would than announce whether or not that person was making it into heaven.

I don't think it is an accepted belief by Catholics as a whole, but it is certainly believed by at least some Catholics and taught in some schools.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.