News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Overrated musicians

Started by hismikeness, April 08, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

The board seems to have a wide musical pallet, as evidenced by the What are you listening to? thread. With that in mind, I'm curious which musicians which generally seem to get loads of praise as being outstanding, in all of your humble opinions, aren't worthy of said praise?

I'll start it off:

Lyricist: Bruce Springsteen. Sure, some of his songs are classics, but I have a few of his albums, and any more than three songs in a row and I find that I skip by him on to someone else.

Drummer: Ringo. Most of his drumbeats seemed pretty basic to me.

Others?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

curiosityandthecat

Everyone, charge your flamethrowers!  roflol

Obligatory Michael Jackson vote, here.
-Curio

fester30

Radiohead.  Yeah I know... they get all kinds of critical rave reviews.  I don't care.  I don't think they sound good.  I like one of their songs.  Everything else doesn't make sense to me.  Guess I'm just shallow in my music appreciation.

Underrated... that one-armed drummer from Def Leppard.  Sure, his beats are also pretty basic.  But he's got one arm.  Dammit just one!  Not even one and a half.  Just one opposable thumb in his whole damned body!  One!

Cecilie

And another thread would be "underrated musicians".

It would be easier if I could just name bands.
The world's what you create.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Neil Diamond

I just borrowed my wife's car and forgot to take my own CD so I was subjected to Neil Diamond's Greatest hits. What a dirge! I mean FFS Kentucky Woman has got to be one of the worst exploitation songs I've ever heard!  :rant:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Any "African American" band and musician, since the time that Prince didn't call himself Prince any more.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ulver

Quote from: "fester30"Radiohead.  Yeah I know... they get all kinds of critical rave reviews.  I don't care.  I don't think they sound good.  I like one of their songs.  Everything else doesn't make sense to me.  Guess I'm just shallow in my music appreciation.

While I'm usually one to run contrary to popular belief, I love Radiohead :P I can see how they may seem stupid though.
I think I am enamored with Thom Yorke's voice enough to overcome their nonsensical songs.

I don't know how the Beatles got this huge re-ignition of support from the hipster youth. In my opinion, if you weren't there pissing your bloomers over bowl cuts in '64, they aren't worth worshiping. There are so many good bands/artists from the 60's and 70's; to fap over the Beatles into the 2010's makes me sick.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Ulver"
Quote from: "fester30"Radiohead.  Yeah I know... they get all kinds of critical rave reviews.  I don't care.  I don't think they sound good.  I like one of their songs.  Everything else doesn't make sense to me.  Guess I'm just shallow in my music appreciation.

While I'm usually one to run contrary to popular belief, I love Radiohead :P I can see how they may seem stupid though.
I think I am enamored with Thom Yorke's voice enough to overcome their nonsensical songs.

I don't know how the Beatles got this huge re-ignition of support from the hipster youth. In my opinion, if you weren't there pissing your bloomers over bowl cuts in '64, they aren't worth worshiping. There are so many good bands/artists from the 60's and 70's; to fap over the Beatles into the 2010's makes me sick.
I never really liked The Beatles either...

Tank

Bono, need I say more!

:hmm: Is he actually a musician?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Tank"Bono, need I say more!

:blush:

fester30

Quote from: "Ulver"

Well, personally, I'd rather fap to the Bangles than to the Beatles.  But that's just me.

McQ

Quote from: "Tank"Neil Diamond

I just borrowed my wife's car and forgot to take my own CD so I was subjected to Neil Diamond's Greatest hits. What a dirge! I mean FFS Kentucky Woman has got to be one of the worst exploitation songs I've ever heard!  :rant:

Now that's funny. The first person I thought of when I read the thread title was Neil Diamond. He's my poster child for overrated musicians.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Cecilie

Coldplay
Bon Jovi
Nirvana
Van Halen
Ozzy Osbourne
Jimi Hendrix
Metallica
Queen
Aerosmith

Just some that first came to mind.

The Magic Pudding

I won't name names, but I'm thinking about those with the quirky voices.
One manifestation of this is those that kinda sound like they're gargling oysters.  
One person has success and a whole genre of oyster garglers is borne.