News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Overrated musicians

Started by hismikeness, April 08, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Cecilie"Jimi Hendrix

Honestly, though... watch Battlestar Galactica (or grow up in the 60s) and tell me this doesn't give you chills.  ;)

[youtube:3ti9gr3a]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bng3agUOYiI[/youtube:3ti9gr3a]
-Curio

Asmodean

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Elvis
Michael Jackson
Elton John
Nirvana
Metallica (I'm gonna get shot now, yes?  :raised: )
Pretty much any and every country musician and band

The list goes on and on and on. Judged by the combined quality of music and lyrics in an average song.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ulver

Quote from: "fester30"Well, personally, I'd rather fap to the Bangles than to the Beatles.  But that's just me.
:P

Ulver

Quote from: "Cecilie"Coldplay
Bon Jovi
Nirvana
Van Halen
Ozzy Osbourne
Queen
Aerosmith

Just some that first came to mind.

Yes!

Heretical Rants

The Beatles had, at most, ten good songs.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"The Beatles had, at most, ten good songs.

It must be nearly 50 years since the Beatles started, to still have ten songs passing as good, after all that time and change isn't too bad.  Someone else might pick a different ten.  I'd rate more than ten as good and I don't rate many of their contemporaries as better. It would be hard to justly deny their influence on following artists.  The music of today didn't just arrive out nowhere, and the music available in the 60s & 70s  was a lot less diverse.

Endless repetition isn't helpful, I've heard Daniel Barenboim give a lengthy rant on the harm done by the constant unwanted assault of music.  This sort of thing has done the Beatles a lot of harm.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2006/lecture2.shtml

Quote from: "Asmodean"The list goes on and on and on. Judged by the combined quality of music and lyrics in an average song.

Music doesn't always mean anything, well not in words anyway.  
Words can just be a vehicle for the voice as an instrument.
Bach doesn't need words, and if he uses them they tend to be annoyingly religious.

Rating the Stones post 1978 as overrated I wouldn't bother to argue, 73-78 I would, 63-73 I'd have to challenge you to a duel.

Of course I can't think of anything more subjective and I don't want everyone to like what I do anyway.
To end my rant I think I will kill a banana.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Asmodean"Metallica (I'm gonna get shot now, yes?  :raised: )
I agree with you on Metallica being overrated, because they are. I'm a big Metallica fan and I'll admit it. They're still good though.
The world's what you create.

Cecilie

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "Cecilie"Jimi Hendrix

Honestly, though... watch Battlestar Galactica (or grow up in the 60s) and tell me this doesn't give you chills.  ;)

[youtube:1qhahtz2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bng3agUOYiI[/youtube:1qhahtz2]
Yes, I love that song and his version of it. But really, Bob Dylan should get some credit for it, yes?

Asmodean

Quote from: "Cecilie"I agree with you on Metallica being overrated, because they are. I'm a big Metallica fan and I'll admit it. They're still good though.
Precisely.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Cecilie"Yes, I love that song and his version of it. But really, Bob Dylan should get some credit for it, yes?

Oh, of course. I just prefer this version better.  :)
-Curio

Cecilie

Quote from: "Cecilie"Yes, I love that song and his version of it. But really, Bob Dylan should get some credit for it, yes?

Me too. The main reason I say he's overrated though, is that people say he's the best guitarist ever without having listened to his music at all. People seem to do that a lot...

Also, I forgot to mention Guns N' Roses. Slash is probably the most overrated guitarist of all.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Cecilie"

Me too. The main reason I say he's overrated though, is that people say he's the best guitarist ever without having listened to his music at all. People seem to do that a lot...

Also, I forgot to mention Guns N' Roses. Slash is probably the most overrated guitarist of all.

+1 on both accounts.
-Curio

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "Heretical Rants"The Beatles had, at most, ten good songs.
The music of today didn't just arrive out nowhere, and the music available in the 60s & 70s  was a lot less diverse.
I won't deny their influence on their genre.

Cecilie

Squid

Any boy "band" and any group that ever labeled itself as "nu-metal"....okay maybe that's less about overrated things and rather things Squid despises... :D