News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Essie Mae

Plastic Trying to live with less. You Americans seem to have a lot more sites and products than we do. I have managed to buy some freezer-safe glass jars from eBay but I think even those have come from the USA. I'm getting into making my own soups with very low salt and sugar and needed the straight-up cylindrical jars that don't have shoulders. There are at least plenty of freezer-safe square and oblong storage containers available here. I have bought a  reusable coffee cup to use in Costa; some non-plastic dental floss and a stain-removing bar for the laundry. There are also some biodegradable bin liners which I have found online tonight, so they'll be my next purchase, as well as cotton and beeswax food wraps. It's a start and we have a variety of bags and boxes we use for supermarket shopping. I signed a petition asking that supermarkets reduce the ridiculous amount of plastic they use; who needs a plastic-wrapped cucumber? I'm new at this, so any further ideas welcome. 
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

Okay, here's something that's been on my mind. Why are people so self conscious about their weight? I don't mean the way they look or feel, I'm talking about the actual number.

Earlier this week I was talking to a girl at work about trying to lose some weight - I think it would really help my bad hips - and she insisted that I didn't need to drop any pounds. I asked what she thought I weighed and a horrified look came over her face.

She refused until I guessed hers, which I pegged perfectly, and then was still reluctant to wager a guess. She finally did, and was off by about fifty pounds. I'm a lot heavier than I look. I just don't see the big deal.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Essie Mae on March 25, 2018, 11:22:17 PM
Plastic Trying to live with less. You Americans seem to have a lot more sites and products than we do. I have managed to buy some freezer-safe glass jars from eBay but I think even those have come from the USA. I'm getting into making my own soups with very low salt and sugar and needed the straight-up cylindrical jars that don't have shoulders. There are at least plenty of freezer-safe square and oblong storage containers available here. I have bought a  reusable coffee cup to use in Costa; some non-plastic dental floss and a stain-removing bar for the laundry. There are also some biodegradable bin liners which I have found online tonight, so they'll be my next purchase, as well as cotton and beeswax food wraps. It's a start and we have a variety of bags and boxes we use for supermarket shopping. I signed a petition asking that supermarkets reduce the ridiculous amount of plastic they use; who needs a plastic-wrapped cucumber? I'm new at this, so any further ideas welcome. 

I dunno Ess. Those cucumbers are plastic wrapped to people a false sense of security and let them last a little longer. They don't come that way by the case. On a positive note, the plastic produced is to a large extent a byproduct of fuel refining. So long a gas and diesel are in use we might as well find something to do with the waste.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:23:24 PM
Okay, here's something that's been on my mind. Why are people so self conscious about their weight? I don't mean the way they look or feel, I'm talking about the actual number.

Earlier this week I was talking to a girl at work about trying to lose some weight - I think it would really help my bad hips - and she insisted that I didn't need to drop any pounds. I asked what she thought I weighed and a horrified look came over her face.

She refused until I guessed hers, which I pegged perfectly, and then was still reluctant to wager a guess. She finally did, and was off by about fifty pounds. I'm a lot heavier than I look. I just don't see the big deal.

I think a lot of people are self-conscious about their weight because society in general judges people based on the number, and they don't want to be judged or come off as judging others, based on a number which is not even necessarily indicative of the percentage of body fat a person has.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Afraid I can't help there.  :(

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 11:33:36 PM

I think a lot of people are self-conscious about their weight because society in general judges people based on the number, and they don't want to be judged or come off as judging others, based on a number which is not even necessarily indicative of the percentage of body fat a person has.

I just find it odd, I guess. It's probably partly because what I find attractive is far from what Hollywood finds attractive, at least in a superficial sense. The idea that someone should hit a "target" weight strikes me as silly unless you're a prize fighter or have a medical reason. If you look good you look good and if you feel good so much the better.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 11:48:40 PM

So long as the fresh he'll is better than what I went through on saturday, I'll take it!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:56:20 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 11:33:36 PM

I just find it odd, I guess. It's probably partly because what I find attractive is far from what Hollywood finds attractive, at least in a superficial sense. The idea that someone should hit a "target" weight strikes me as silly unless you're a prize fighter or have a medical reason. If you look good you look good and if you feel good so much the better.

Agreed.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:57:29 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 11:48:40 PM

So long as the fresh he'll is better than what I went through on saturday, I'll take it!

Just having to work on the weekend to me is hell (doesn't hell have layers or something? :notsure:) Something quick and easy would be the first layer of hell, an all-nighter would be the last.

jumbojak

I just realized that spring break starts tomorrow. So that means I'm in for freshly minted hell for a week... times TWO! Two weeks of pure hell. I gotta get outta here.

xSilverPhinx

If you don't mind my asking, what do you do?

jumbojak

I work in a restaurant in a tourist town. Hate it but I'm not the most employable guy out there.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:26:49 PM

I dunno Ess. Those cucumbers are plastic wrapped to people a false sense of security and let them last a little longer. They don't come that way by the case. On a positive note, the plastic produced is to a large extent a byproduct of fuel refining. So long a gas and diesel are in use we might as well find something to do with the waste.

There is a process that breaks plastics back down into an oil product and hydrogen (which goes back to fuelling the process). Not sure whst the end use of the "oil" is but it sin't landfill, though it probably ends up in the atmodphere. The unts are "palletised" and can be installed in waste processing plants as "plug and play" units they ssy. Almost any mix of plastics works.

Another use is as part of the binder in road surfacing. It amalgamates with the tar under heat and pressure.

But, yes, better to find ways to do without it. Are paper grocery bags, rather than plastic carrier bags, a norm in the States - used to see them in films. Less easy to carry four or six of at a time though. . . I remember to always have reusable bags in the car now and get annoyed at over packaging. I want a law that says supermarkets must accept and dispose of unrecycleable packaging at their own cost.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

JJ, it's a crying shame thst you cannot get employment using your evident practical skills. Thst's if you wanted that if vourse, some "hobbies" do not translate into whst we want to actually work at. I loved silver jewellery work as a hobby but hated commissions or making standard stuff for sale - but I needed them to fund the speculative stuff.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74