News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Inside Europe's biggest Hasidic community

Started by Tank, May 18, 2011, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Inside Europe's biggest Hasidic community

QuoteNorth London's Hasidic Jewish community is an intensely private world, where marriage is an integral rite of passage, strict rules must be adhered to and faith is taken seriously. Film-maker Paddy Wivell spent three months finding out what goes on behind closed doors and how an outsider is received.

"Nobody can become a 10-minute Jew," warns Hasidic scholar and Stamford Hill resident Gaby Lock. "It's so vastly away from your way of life that you would have no understanding of it whatsoever."

In Lock's front room, he talks about just a few of the 613 Commandments that govern the lives of the 20,000 orthodox Hasidic Jews who live here. It's already enough to give you a headache...

A Hasidic Guide to Love, Marriage and Finding a Bride is on BBC Two, Wednesday 18 May, 2100 BST

Looks interesting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

I'm surprised no one else has replied to this. Thete id a small Hassidic Jewish community in brooklyn ny. I only knew about it cuz a friend moved there. It's terrible how religious beliefs really separate people.

I need to do more research, but I hear that a Jewish woman must shave her head after marriage, so other men won't find her desirable. Wtf?  Thete is a lot of sexism, and basically a woman is just there to reproduce. The younger, the better. It's sickening.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Without checking I thought the exact opposite was true. But as you say a little research is probably in order.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 03, 2011, 08:32:32 AM
I need to do more research, but I hear that a Jewish woman must shave her head after marriage, so other men won't find her desirable. Wtf? 

So are those beards meant to serve a similar purpose, or is it just an unintended side effect?

Gawen

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 03, 2011, 09:21:33 AM

So are those beards meant to serve a similar purpose, or is it just an unintended side effect?
No, the women must be clean shaven....*chucklin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

everytime you comment, Magic pudding, I want pudding!

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 03, 2011, 05:01:45 PM
But the trouble is you have to go to Australia and chase him with a spoon and a bucket of custard as bait!

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on June 03, 2011, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 03, 2011, 05:01:45 PM
But the trouble is you have to go to Australia and chase him with a spoon and a bucket of custard as bait!

That seems like a lot of work :<

Will37

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 03, 2011, 08:32:32 AM

I need to do more research, but I hear that a Jewish woman must shave her head after marriage, so other men won't find her desirable. Wtf?  Thete is a lot of sexism, and basically a woman is just there to reproduce. The younger, the better. It's sickening.

Jewish women are supposed to cover their hair after marriage as an act of modesty.  The Old testament mentions her hair as a woman's 'crowning glory'.  Some women shave their head and just wear a wig rather than wear a scarf.  There are other reasons as well, but that's the religious one.  Not a lot of Jewish women do it.  Some in the Hasidic/Orthodox community do.  It's more cultural than strictly religious. 
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp