News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 22, 2011, 06:49:48 PM
I live in an apartment building and one of our neighbour's smoke alarm goes off at least 4-7 times a day. Every day. What the hell are they doing over there?!

Mine goes off if the shower gets too steamy, and ever mind every time I turn the oven on or use the stovetop!  I finally bought one of those little fans that can be swiveled to point straight up and aim it right at the alarm whenever I cook or take a shower -- no more problem.  You might mention it to your neighbors.

My pet peeve -- spitting anywhere, but esp. in public.  Your throat swallows more than food, people, use it!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

I live in an apartment building and one of our neighbour's smoke alarm goes off at least 4-7 times a day. Every day. What the hell are they doing over there?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 23, 2011, 05:00:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

My neighbours never wave hello either. The plot thickens.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on September 25, 2011, 04:19:51 AM
-I sometimes get disproportionately annoyed when I find out someone doesn't enjoy listening to music or reading books.

There are people who don't like music at all? :o
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

-I sometimes get disproportionately annoyed when I find out someone doesn't enjoy listening to music or reading books.

I don't believe this, show me evidence confirming the existence of such creatures! ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2011, 05:42:46 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 25, 2011, 04:58:22 AM

I don't believe this, show me evidence confirming the existence of such creatures! ;D

QuoteAyatollah Ali Khamenei has urged youths to shun music in favour of science and sport. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said today that music is "not compatible" with the values of the Islamic republic, and should not be practised or taught in the country.

These guys have got a history for this kind of stuff.
It may not prove they don't like music, they may just find punishing young people jolly good fun.

DeterminedJuliet

Yes, it's probably fair to say that Mr.Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and I would most likely not get along.
Just a hunch.

SuperiorEd

My biggest pet peeve is when people step on the object instead of speaking to the subject.  I consider the person the object.  The subject is whatever is being discussed.  The subject is the only thing that deserves prejudice.  The person should never be minimized because of their beliefs or non-beliefs.  If the subject cannot speak for itself, then it is false.  This says nothing about the beauty and individuality of the human holding the subject.  Judge a person on the content of their own character and not the associations they keep.  POST 6 

Quote from: fester30 on February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM
What are your pet peeve talking points that do not involve religion?  For example, mine is:

I've heard this on TV news, and repeated by family, friends, and through Facebook chain mails.

Members of Congress get their entire salary for the rest of their lives if they serve just one term.

FALSE.

The retirement plan takes 5 years to vest, and then they do not get to receive payments until age 62 (unless they serve 20 years, then they can start collecting at 50, or 25 years, then they can start collecting right away).  A member of the House of Representatives do not get any retirement benefits for serving one or two terms (at 2 years each).  A member of the Senate, after one 6 year term will begin receiving benefits at age 62.  They never get their full final salary in retirement.  It is an average of their highest three years of salary combined with a formula for number of years served, not to exceed 80% of their final salary.  For example, a member who served 22 years finishing with a high three average salary of 153,900 would get just under 85 grand a year.  It's a comparable percentage to the pension of a U.S. military member versus his/her high three salary with the same 22 years.  The biggest difference here is that military members have to serve 20 years for their pension to vest.

Yes, I understand they get great benefits.  My point is you don't have to outright lie to show this.

fester30

Quote from: SuperiorEd on September 26, 2011, 01:31:59 AM

My biggest pet peeve is when people step on the object instead of speaking to the subject.  I consider the person the object.  The subject is whatever is being discussed.  The subject is the only thing that deserves prejudice.  The person should never be minimized because of their beliefs or non-beliefs.  If the subject cannot speak for itself, then it is false.  This says nothing about the beauty and individuality of the human holding the subject.  Judge a person on the content of their own character and not the associations they keep.  POST 6  

I think there are certainly places for stepping on the object.  If someone is making the argument that all the Christians of the world need to be exterminated in the name of Allah, I certainly think we can call into question everything about the object.  I was particularly satisfied that the Navy Seals stepped all over the object in the case of Bin Laden.  When people make outrageous claims that are not harmful, then yes, I agree with you.  However, when a person's claims and beliefs lead to the harm of others physically or through bigotry, then the object is certainly open to be stepped on.  If only we could have stepped on Hitler a little bit sooner.

Whitney

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on September 26, 2011, 09:32:28 PM
willfully ignorant people!
Now what could have caused that I wonder  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

The Magic Pudding

May I remind members and administrators that this is the Non-religious pet peeves thread?

Sweetdeath

People who talk on their phones for long periods of time on a long bus or train ride...
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 28, 2011, 12:22:36 AM
People who talk on their phones for long periods of time on a long bus or train ride...

Oh! And act as though no one can hear them!