News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

PA Teacher blogs her kids are "Lazy Whiners"

Started by AnimatedDirt, February 17, 2011, 02:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

PA. teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog
I find this comedic and so true of the kids these days... including my own at times.

What do you think?

terranus

I think they should send her entire class to boot camp.

But I mean, come on. She's 8 months pregneant? Honestly, I quit reading after that. That's pretty much all the explanation I needed.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Asmodean

Kids are lazy whiners because they can be.

Kids today take for granted a lot of things their parents did not when they were young. It's a sign of a dynamic society, and not necessarilly a bad thing.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Asmodean"Kids are lazy whiners because they can be.

Kids today take for granted a lot of things their parents did not when they were young. It's a sign of a dynamic society, and not necessarilly a bad thing.
I tend to agree and disagree.  Kids ARE lazy and whiners.  What I disagree with is that this dynamic society is not necessarily getting better, but worse.  (not speaking of knowledge as a whole).  Is anything taken for granted a good thing?  I'm not speaking of the sun rising and setting type of taking for granted.  It's the appreciation for a work ethic, pride in your history, pride in your work regardless of what it is...pride in responsibility, pride and devotion to a country that isn't your "home", but is the place that is giving you something more than "home" can...pride in the gaining of knowledge (school), in making a difference, in intelligence...

Asmodean

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"What I disagree with is that this dynamic society is not necessarily getting better, but worse.  (not speaking of knowledge as a whole).  Is anything taken for granted a good thing?  I'm not speaking of the sun rising and setting type of taking for granted.  It's the appreciation for a work ethic, pride in your history, pride in your work regardless of what it is...pride in responsibility, pride and devotion to a country that isn't your "home", but is the place that is giving you something more than "home" can...pride in the gaining of knowledge (school), in making a difference, in intelligence...
Oh, it may seem bad to us, just like I suppose someone who lived in the 1800s would likely be horrified by the state of our society, but it may be that the kids would rather not have it any other way. If we are evolving into chair-shaped amoebas, it is not our place to decide that it's a bad thing. Ask the amoeba if it's happy that way first.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"What I disagree with is that this dynamic society is not necessarily getting better, but worse.  (not speaking of knowledge as a whole).  Is anything taken for granted a good thing?  I'm not speaking of the sun rising and setting type of taking for granted.  It's the appreciation for a work ethic, pride in your history, pride in your work regardless of what it is...pride in responsibility, pride and devotion to a country that isn't your "home", but is the place that is giving you something more than "home" can...pride in the gaining of knowledge (school), in making a difference, in intelligence...
Oh, it may seem bad to us, just like I suppose someone who lived in the 1800s would likely be horrified by the state of our society, but it may be that the kids would rather not have it any other way. If we are evolving into chair-shaped amoebas, it is not our place to decide that it's a bad thing. Ask the amoeba if it's happy that way first.
By "we" I assume you must mean today's kids...as this is the subject.

Do you mean to say that we should ask kids how they feel and if they feel "better" it IS better?  Seems silly to ask kids and thus define the good or bad in it as we adults always seem to mention, "You know, in hindsight..."

Asmodean

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"By "we" I assume you must mean today's kids...as this is the subject.
I am no kid. I'm in the generation between teens and their parents. In this case, "us" is the adults or, on a larger scale, every one alive today, where as "they" (or whatever word I used) is the future generations.

QuoteDo you mean to say that we should ask kids how they feel and if they feel "better" it IS better?
We shouldn't ask them at all, on the scale with which I operate here. By the time the question would become relevant, if asked now, we would be dead. What I AM saying though, is that there are changes from parent to offspring generations. They may seem bad to the old farts, however, given enough time, they lead to new societies with different values and ideals and those, even if the old generations (would) find them repulsive, are all good, as long as holders of those values and ideals deem them so.

QuoteSeems silly to ask kids and thus define the good or bad in it as we adults always seem to mention, "You know, in hindsight..."
I don't. And I know very few others, from a relatively large sample, who would change their way of life to that of an average adult in the time of my childhood, not to mention the sixties or 19th century.

Oh, sure, some people whine about how they skipped school and smoked whatever they could lay hands on and spent time on pleasures and ended up losers, but still, their core values are largely those of the rest of the generation.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

I see your point, Asmodean.  I disagree, but I do see it.  :)
(btw, I didn't mean to infer you were a kid)

Asmodean

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"(btw, I didn't mean to infer you were a kid)
Nobody seems to since I got the beard...  :verysad:

/Gerascophobia
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

This seems to be thee result of a series of failures.

The first, and probably the most important failure is that of parents. Not all parents, mind you, but collectively parents want teachers to raise their kids for them. As a new teacher myself, this has been a rude awakening. My parents were far from perfect in raising me, but they did raise me. This is due in no small part to the fact that my mother worked from home and my father made it a point to have reasonable work hours so we could have time as a family. I wonder if, for the majority of families, that's even financially feasible anymore. Regardless, responsibilities like teaching morality, critical thinking, and motivation are left to overworked, underpaid teachers who are not equipped to be surrogate parents to dozens of children a day.

The second failure is that of the school system itself. Since the creation of a centralized school system, we've gone back and fourth between factory models and models based on a bad understanding of John Lock's behaviorism (the so-called Lockean Child system). Our school system is not set up for the way children think or behave. Children are forced to become unthinking, memorizing workers; drones. The problem is that from a psychological standpoint this is not natural or healthy. There are alternative theories of teaching which have been scientifically proven to yield in more successful children in that they are capable of wanting to learn, they understand how to learn, they can be self-directed in their learning, they are critical thinkers, and they think scientifically naturally. It's assumed children should be bored in school and it's natural to rebel, but this is a byproduct of a poor system more than it is a child's individuation or laziness.

The third failure is that of popular culture, particularly the media, in not accepting that there's a social responsibility to entertaining and marketing. I cannot imagine something more destructive to a young person's mind than marketing, creating a population of needy, mindless consumers who have built their egos on the sand of consumerism. The latest iPod or PC or car is sought with great tenacity by children while a good education and healthy lifestyle fall by the wayside.

The final failure, of course, is that of the children themselves. Yes, the rules are set against you, but it is not impossible to grow up without being a spoiled, shallow brat. One can buckle down and study, learn to answer your own questions, etc. even in the toxic environment you're growing up in. HAF is full of folks who developed critical thinking skill on their own and had the testicular or ovular fortitude to apply it even to the most sacred of their preconceptions.

All that having been said, that blog isn't helping anyone. That teacher should find a healthier way to vent her frustrations and might want to put her energies into exploring with ways to motivate students.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Will"All that having been said, that blog isn't helping anyone. That teacher should find a healthier way to vent her frustrations and might want to put her energies into exploring with ways to motivate students.
I can agree with what you stated.  However, as that teacher mentioned in the video interview, she's not sorry (or proud) for her words.  She spoke her feelings.  If anything, they will spark discussion on the problem and hopefully something is done to one or all the points you mention.  I for one, find her words ringing more truth than a simple rant.

ForTheLoveOfAll

13 should still be the age of majority, IMO.

There was a day when a 13 year old commanded a war ship, was sulf sustainable, etc. Mind you, not all were, and I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't of been capable of sustaining themselves, but they were certainly MORE capable than most kids these days.

Too much "entertainment" and too many creature comforts has made a lazy generation of human beings.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"13 should still be the age of majority, IMO.

There was a day when a 13 year old commanded a war ship, was sulf sustainable, etc. Mind you, not all were, and I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't of been capable of sustaining themselves, but they were certainly MORE capable than most kids these days.

Too much "entertainment" and too many creature comforts has made a lazy generation of human beings.
Evidence?

Ultima22689

I get tired of hearing this, it's nothing new, the older generation thinks the next generation will be the end of civilization, they're lazy degenerates, they suck, etc. Thing is, every generation in it's twilight years says this and have done so as far back as human history goes, the "lazy" generation will have as many if not more accomplishments than the previous generation and then the process will repeat, the "lazy" generation will say the next generation is "lazy" but they won't be, they will be adjusting to what they have been given by the previous generation so they can improve humanity in their own way. People think today's youth are lazy good for nothings but I bet a large amount of them can reprogram your phone, computer, watch, etc in comparison to all you old folks could when you were the lazy good for nothing generation as well. I'm in my 20s but i'm counted in with this "lazy" generation as well; I can see the cycle if I look at my own family. My great grandmother though her daughter was a lazy good for nothing yet my grandmother was a powerful player in Chicago unions during the 50s and 60s. She thought her kids were lazy yet my uncle has had a wealth of success. My dad thought I was a lazy twat who played video games all day yet here I am going to school to make video games and I've saved the family thousands when it comes to buying or repairing computers.  Ultima Jr. will do the same i'm sure, hopefully I will remember not to make the mistake of thinking that my child is a lazy good for nothing because he doesn't behave exactly like my generation.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Ultima22689"I get tired of hearing this, it's nothing new, the older generation thinks the next generation will be the end of civilization, they're lazy degenerates, they suck, etc. Thing is, every generation in it's twilight years says this and have done so as far back as human history goes, the "lazy" generation will have as many if not more accomplishments than the previous generation and then the process will repeat, the "lazy" generation will say the next generation is "lazy" but they won't be, they will be adjusting to what they have been given by the previous generation so they can improve humanity in their own way. People think today's youth are lazy good for nothings but I bet a large amount of them can reprogram your phone, computer, watch, etc in comparison to all you old folks could when you were the lazy good for nothing generation as well. I'm in my 20s but i'm counted in with this "lazy" generation as well; I can see the cycle if I look at my own family. My great grandmother though her daughter was a lazy good for nothing yet my grandmother was a powerful player in Chicago unions during the 50s and 60s. She thought her kids were lazy yet my uncle has had a wealth of success. My dad thought I was a lazy twat who played video games all day yet here I am going to school to make video games and I've saved the family thousands when it comes to buying or repairing computers.  Ultima Jr. will do the same i'm sure, hopefully I will remember not to make the mistake of thinking that my child is a lazy good for nothing because he doesn't behave exactly like my generation.
^This