News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

PA Teacher blogs her kids are "Lazy Whiners"

Started by AnimatedDirt, February 17, 2011, 02:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I'm not sure what to think about a teacher blogging like this.  On the one hand, I know enough teachers to know that they all complain about their students to their friends and family (though some more than others).  On the other hand, I think it was a bad move for two reasons 1) Like it or not, teachers have to worry about their public image because that affects how the students will view them and bitching about the students where the students can find it can only serve to hurt feelings. 2) Professionals don't make public record of anything they couldn't or wouldn't say about their profession, clients, co-workers in a professional setting even if they are doing so during their free time.

If I was a teacher and wanted to blog about my students I'd create a pen name, not mention where I taught and make my who is private because I wouldn't want the students to find out I was talking behind their backs...then I'd use that blog as a method to point out the problems with our education system in order to effect change.  If I had students who were a big problem I'd approach them and ask why they act that way then try to adjust my teaching to accommodate them ...maybe they are troubled kids who just needs someone to care or maybe they are bored.

In my experience with today's youth (and from remembering how it was when I was in school), those who come from stable households and are challenged in school don't act out.  It's the poor kids who's parents have to work all the time just to make ends meet, parents who are dysfunctional, or the kids who are bored that end up being problems (in general).

terranus

QuoteIt's the poor kids who's parents have to work all the time just to make ends meet, parents who are dysfunctional, or the kids who are bored that end up being problems (in general).

"Dysfunctional" is a very broad description. I think it needs to be further refined. Kids who have parents that are abusive (mentally or physically), divorced (especially if it was a nasty divorce during a kid's early adolescent period), actively participating in illegal activities (drugs, theft, fraud, etc.), completely self-centered and who largely ignore their children are MUCH more to turn out as problem kids IMO.

However, this is not always the case. I have seen plenty of "exceptions to the rule" within my generation. My were divorced, both participated in some mildly illegal activities, and both worked quite a bit (my Dad I only got to see every 2 or 3 months, as he was always off doing Army stuff). Yet I turned out...wait...nevermind. I think it just proved the rule.  :brick:
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

xSilverPhinx

I think the only mistake she made was being found out. As Whitney pointed out, if she felt she had to bitch about her students, at least do it where it can't be traced to her. On her blog...not so smart.

I spoke loads about a teacher I had (I've never loathed anyone as much as I loathe the woman), but not to anyone who had any contact with her or online. That teacher, on the other hand, spoke ill of me to people who were directly involved with me (other teachers) poisoning their minds against me with unfounded rubbish which they themselves were too stupid to see through, effects which I felt. I can see why the students and school reacted as they did.

I think she should be transferred.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey