News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Know any good quotes?

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, February 16, 2011, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Cooper20 on May 13, 2011, 03:42:23 AM
"God is a God of war" -Exodus 15

"God is a God of peace" -Romans 15

Somethings fishy...

the Exodus one, can you site the verse? I cant seem to find it. Or did you make that up?

River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

thedport

"This is what hardcore bible thumpers don't get when they shove their religion down peoples throats. It doesn't matter what you eat, even if your force fed something, it all makes poop."-Me
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

Melmoth

Quote from: PapistItalian16
Quote from: Cooper20"God is a God of war" -Exodus 15

Somethings fishy...

the Exodus one, can you site the verse? I cant seem to find it. Or did you make that up?

He didn't make it up. In the King James Bible, Exodus 15.3, it says that "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name."

But it depends what version you're reading. Other versions amend certain bits here and there to sound more cosily metaphorical. I've got a copy of the New Century Version in my hands, for example (a version aimed at younger readers) and it says instead that "the LORD is a warrior: the LORD is his name," which is a lot more open to interpretation. Could just mean that he's very determined or something!

But then you've got to take the context into account. And the overriding message of the whole chapter, all that stuff about obliterating the enemy and so forth, pretty much amounts to the same thing even in the NCV: God's into his war.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Cooper20

Quote from: Melmoth on May 14, 2011, 06:05:47 AM

Somethings fishy...

He didn't make it up. In the King James Bible, Exodus 15.3, it says that "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name."

But it depends what version you're reading. Other versions amend certain bits here and there to sound more cosily metaphorical. I've got a copy of the New Century Version in my hands, for example (a version aimed at younger readers) and it says instead that "the LORD is a warrior: the LORD is his name," which is a lot more open to interpretation. Could just mean that he's very determined or something!

But then you've got to take the context into account. And the overriding message of the whole chapter, all that stuff about obliterating the enemy and so forth, pretty much amounts to the same thing even in the NCV: God's into his war.

Thanks for saving me the time of explaining.  ;D So yes, this is what I was talking about.
"There are many types of religion, one of them in Christianity, which celebrates the irony of nailing a carpenter to two pieces of wood."

Melmoth

Sorry Cooper. I just realised I might have stolen your thunder a bit there, which wasn't my intention.

Exodus carries an overbearingly pro-war theme anyway, even if we skip 15.3. So, even if you'd been mistaken about that specific quote, your point would still have stood up.

PI saying that he couldn't find a particular phrase about God liking war, in a whole book that might as well be titled "God Likes War", seemed somewhat disingenuous to me. Not that his heart wasn't in the right place, of course, but there we are; I couldn't help sticking my ore in. I'll bite my lip next time.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Crow

Quote from: Melmoth on May 14, 2011, 06:58:50 AM
I'll bite my lip next time.

Don't do that, it was a good concise post that I enjoyed reading.
Retired member.

thedport

I recently purchased an awesome book called the Qoutable atheist. It's fantastic and has a lot of awesome qoutes from free thinkers in it. I strongly suggest purchasing, or at least looking into this book.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Melmoth on May 14, 2011, 06:05:47 AM

Somethings fishy...

Ahh, see, my Bible is a New American Bible. I do have a KJV kickin' around here somewhere... Oh well. It's a good point.

But look at it this way, God is not a warrior who looks to slaughter those that are innocent, He fights those that threaten His people. "If God is for us, then who can be against us?" Romans 8:31 Well, Satan is "against us". And Satan can control people, and if these said people are controlled by Satan, then God will combat Satan, in turn combating these said people.

"'Woe to the shepherds who are scattering the sheep of my pasture!' declares the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord God of Israel concerning the shepherds who are tending My people: 'You have scattered My flock and driven them away, and have not attended to them; behold, I am about to attend to you for the evil of your deeds," declares the lord." Jeremiah 23:1&2

"The Lord is my shepherd," Psalm 23:1 And to quote the minister from The Patriot, "A shepherd must tend to his flock, and at times, fight off the wolves."
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Davin

A shepherd doesn't save his flock from being eaten, he merely saves his flock for him to eat.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 16, 2011, 08:52:08 PM
A shepherd doesn't save his flock from being eaten, he merely saves his flock for him to eat.

Kudos!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

original_gender

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

- Mark Strand

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: original_gender on May 17, 2011, 12:22:39 AM
When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

- Mark Strand

Does it push you foward?

xSilverPhinx

All by Niccolo Machiavelli:

God is not willing to do everything, and thus take away our free will and that share of glory which belongs to us.

Hence it comes about that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed.

I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.

It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.

It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver.

It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.

Politics have no relation to morals.

The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
Niccolo Machiavelli

The one who adapts his policy to the times prospers, and likewise that the one whose policy clashes with the demands of the times does not.

The wish to acquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned. But when they lack the ability to do so and yet want to acquire more at all costs, they deserve condemnation for their mistakes.

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.

When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred.

Whosoever desires constant success must change his conduct with the times.

original_gender

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 17, 2011, 04:09:39 AM
Quote from: original_gender on May 17, 2011, 12:22:39 AM
When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

- Mark Strand

Does it push you foward?

The strophe I quoted is from "Keeping Things Whole" from his Selected Poems. You should read it, it's nice.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 16, 2011, 09:34:20 PM
Quote from: Davin on May 16, 2011, 08:52:08 PM

Kudos!
And don't forget he'll fleece them every year before he slaughters them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.