News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Saw a psychopath on dr phil

Started by JoeBobSmith, February 09, 2011, 07:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForTheLoveOfAll

I never understood why people felt the need to go on national television to resolve their personal issues.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Whitney

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I never understood why people felt the need to go on national television to resolve their personal issues.

I was talking to my dad about this because he had Springer on (yes, he apparently watches it all the time for some reason).  We determined it is for the free vacation because it's probably the only way they could ever afford a vacation.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I never understood why people felt the need to go on national television to resolve their personal issues.

I was talking to my dad about this because he had Springer on (yes, he apparently watches it all the time for some reason).  We determined it is for the free vacation because it's probably the only way they could ever afford a vacation.
Ha! Probably so. The Jerry Springer Show is one of my favorite cultural trainwrecks. Really shows how America is in the .... how do I put this? Less evolved areas?

There's a reason I stopped watching television.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Whitney

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"There's a reason I stopped watching television.

Indeed.  We have willingly been without cable since November and I don't miss it at all. There are only a few shows we catch via the internet but if I couldn't watch them it wouldn't be the end of the world. And this is why Hulu will fail if they decide to go too heavy on the paid side of their offerings.  I think more and more people are realizing there just isn't as much need for tv these days; you can find all sorts of entertainment online and there is even this thing called real life where you can do stuff that doesn't involve a glowing box (though that has been a rare event for me recently).

JoeBobSmith

:verysad:
JoeBobSmith

Asmodean

Quote from: "JoeBobSmith"What do u mean by this?
I was refering to the following:

Quote"guys, we are not just some piece of shit randomly floating around in outer space" JoeBobSmith

Quoting yourself in a signature is... Weird. When the signature is written by you, you just drop the quotes and name. For instance, I would make one saying Smoking is bad. So what?! rather than "Smoking is bad. So what?!" -Asmodean

That said, no, we are not just some piece of shit randomly floating in outer space, but that's basically saying "water's not dry". For one, outer space being that which surrounds our planet, our solar system, galaxy or universe, depending on your scale, we are still in the Earth's inner space, that being that, which is within the atmosphere. For two, we are not randomly floating in it. We have a trajectory which is highly predictable. And because of gravity, we are not exactly floating in the inner space either. For three, "we" can hardly be one piece of shit, yes?  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"There's a reason I stopped watching television.

Indeed.  We have willingly been without cable since November and I don't miss it at all. There are only a few shows we catch via the internet but if I couldn't watch them it wouldn't be the end of the world. And this is why Hulu will fail if they decide to go too heavy on the paid side of their offerings.  I think more and more people are realizing there just isn't as much need for tv these days; you can find all sorts of entertainment online and there is even this thing called real life where you can do stuff that doesn't involve a glowing box (though that has been a rare event for me recently).

I'm surprised television even exists anymore. There are far too many informative and entertaining videos on the internet for free now. Though, I'm worried that with the sudden increase in advertisements on YouTube that it may go the same way hulu is. (I never used hulu, actually.)
It wasn't too many years ago when you could actually find something interesting and at least somewhat educational. PBS had some great programming, and I remember when I was a little guy watching Bill Nye The Science Guy, and then on to Nova. but you don't see that anymore. Hell, the cartoons have even dropped in quality. We've gone from things like Popeye (Which I would STILL watch.) to every Japanese wet dream imaginable. It's no wonder the average IQ is dropping at an alarming rate.

Annnd as far as the outside world is concerned, I get plenty of that every day. I'm actually building my own house right now out of cob.
-Carl Sagan

- Bill Hicks

Cecilie

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"Hell, the cartoons have even dropped in quality.
Nothing like '90s cartoons.
The world's what you create.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Cecilie"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, man. I feel sorry for ANY kid who didn't grow up at some point from 1992 to 1998. I stopped playing video games too (I'm a bookaholic as of the past few years.), but if they made new games for the N64 or the NES, I'd jump on it.

I guess quality is being decreased for the sake of quantity.
-Carl Sagan

- Bill Hicks

Cecilie

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, man. I feel sorry for ANY kid who didn't grow up at some point from 1992 to 1998. I stopped playing video games too (I'm a bookaholic as of the past few years.), but if they made new games for the N64 or the NES, I'd jump on it.

I guess quality is being decreased for the sake of quantity.
You know, I never watched TMNT, but I did watch a lot of Cartoon Network late '90s/early '00s before it became shit.

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"You know, I never watched TMNT, but I did watch a lot of Cartoon Network late '90s/early '00s before it became shit.

Or you grew out of it?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Cecilie"You know, I never watched TMNT, but I did watch a lot of Cartoon Network late '90s/early '00s before it became shit.

Or you grew out of it?
I would still be watching it if it was good.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Tank"

Or you grew out of it?
I would still be watching it if it was good.

Dexter from Dexter's lab was my role model for years.
-Carl Sagan

- Bill Hicks

Cecilie

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"Dexter from Dexter's lab was my role model for years.
I used to love that show.

KDbeads

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"Dexter from Dexter's lab was my role model for years.

Dexter's Lab is awesome so is Pinky and the Brain..... But I'm a child of the 80's, bring back HeMan, Thundercats, Captain Caveman, Super Friends, Voltron........

So I'm the only one that actually watches TV?  Though it's usually Discovery, Animal Planet, SyFy, History, Food Network...........  And Dexter's Lab on Cartoon Network at 10:30 am weekdays......
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams