News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What "converted" you to atheism???

Started by periwinklefish, January 12, 2011, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLeo

It was a gradual progression for me. Mid-teens, I started to ask myself and people around me questions about religion about the things that didn't make sense. Gradually I was certain that religions were man-made. Then questions revolved around the creator and the final result, here i am, as an atheist.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

Lost

Do you know tour IQ? ... not procured from internet tests, please!
I think I took one in high school and scored around 130.

Do you have a college degree? If so, what in? And if not, why?
Nope. I’m in Canada and have a diploma from a 3 yr Construction Engineering course from my local College (not the same as a University Degree).

What were you like as a child, adolescent, adult? examples: Argumentative, tenacious, inquisitive, passive, other?
Inquisitive and passive.

For those who were religious and at some point became an atheist, what caused this change in thinking for you?
N/A

For those of you who were born into nonreligious families, when did you/what caused you to own these beliefs for yourself?
When I started to realize that most of the people around me had beliefs and religious faith, I though there was something wrong with me because I didn’t. I was mad at my parents for not exposing me to religion, because clearly it was important and something everyone else was doing (I was in my early teens at the time). Once I started doing some research of my own I was glad that my parents let me find out for myself and make my own decisions.

At what age did you start questioning the existence of "god" ?

4 or 5

How did those you spoke to about it react when you told them your concerns?
Mostly my mom, who was raised Catholic, but does not choose to be a part of it any more. She agreed with me and said she didn’t have the answers either.

At what age did you identify as an atheist?
14, but went back and forth between being an atheist and an agnostic. For years I wanted to believe in spirituality and simply decided I didn’t know, so couldn’t make a decision. I am an atheist now, as there is just too much suffering and evil in this world for me to believe anything else.

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now, and at what age did you move to your present location?
Have lived in Southern Ontario, Canada, since birth.

At what age did you start and how often did you go to church?
I was baptised when I was two as my dad wanted it. By the time my younger brother came along, both parents were sort of done with religion (my dad alwasy had guilt though, and was always very superstitious). Other than that, I've only been in churches for other peoples weddings/christenings etc… (about 5-10 times total).

Of your caretakers, how many were: nonreligious, mildly religious, deeply religious?
Very superstitious father (Eastern European), but non-practicing in his religion (Orthodox). My mother was raised Catholic but hadn’t gone to church regularely since before I was born.

In your opinion, what causes religious people to question religion? N/A

Have you ever been successful in causing a believer to change their thinking? And if so, how?
Nope. I don’t usually try. People can believe what they want.

hismikeness

Quote from: "periwinklefish"Do you know tour IQ?  ... not procured from internet tests, please!
I don't know officially, but I believe I am smarter than at least half the people, so average or above...

Do you have a college degree?  If so, what in?  And if not, why?
Yes. Human Development and Family Sciences with an emphasis in Early Childhood Education. For brevity's sake, elementary school teacher. I don't use my degree, as I am in management of a window manufacturer.

What were you like as a child, adolescent, adult? examples: Argumentative, tenacious, inquisitive, passive, other?
Child: Big imagination, precocious, fat. Adolescent: Athletic, cooperative, compliant, fat. Adult: Bored, frustrated, fat.

For those who were religious and at some point became an atheist, what caused this change in thinking for you?
The more I learned about science, the less I believed in religious and spiritual nonsense.

For those of you who were born into nonreligious families, when did you/what caused you to own these beliefs for yourself?
N/A

Early 20's

I spoke with three people about it mainly. My little brother, and two of my closest friends. Bro was helpful (as well as like minded), and both friends would mentally spar with me about it even though they are a staunch non denominational Christian and the other is one of the Mormonest dudes I know.

Mid 20's.

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now, and at what age did you move to your present location?
Grew up in the bay area of California (1-9 yrs old) and Central Oregon (9-18 yrs old). Live now in the Willamette (will-am-ett) Valley in Oregon. I moved here summer of '10 from Southern Oregon, or as I call it, Satan's asshole.

Started from birth, went begrudgingly every Sunday until I moved out and went to college.

Of your caretakers, how many were: nonreligious, mildly religious, deeply religious?
My mom is deeply religious. Dad is quietly religious. Maternal grandparents met whilst in the Catholic convent/monastary, but quit to have a shit load of kids (9). Paternal grandmother and step-grandmother were both Catholic. Paternal grandfather went to church because his wives made him, and I think is secretly an atheist/agnostic, but have never broached the subject with him officially. I do remember asking why he didn't verbally say prayers when we had dinner; he just sat quietly.

In your opinion, what causes religious people to question religion?
Knowledge of science, logic, deductive reasoning, courage.

Have you ever been successful in causing a believer to change their thinking?  And if so, how?
I've never really tried, so, no. To each their own, as long as you don't fuck with me.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

YaarghMatey487

I remember the exact moment I took a look around and said "wow...what complete bullshit." I was at a Wednesday night youth service. We were discussing secular/non-Christian views on Christianity. The youth minister talked about Gandhi for a few minutes, making sure to mention his good works and non violence. Everything was going well... then the youth minster dropped the famous “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" quote. At that point, the guy sitting in front of me loudly stated something to the effect of "pft who the hell was Gandhi anyway? Just a brown guy in a diaper, right?" I was the ONLY person to stand up and tell him how ridiculous he sounded. After that I seriously began to question the rigid Southern Baptist doctrine I'd been raised with. That led to questioning everything else and realizing that it's all a load of bullshit. It's been a little over 10 years since that service. I can say that I'm much more content and at peace with myself than I was back then.
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie

Ulver

Do you know your IQ?
No

BA in psychology, minor in sociology. In the middle of an MA in counseling.

Passive, quiet, creative, inquisitive, kind.

Not applicable

For those of you who were born into nonreligious families, when did you/what caused you to own these beliefs for yourself
Not applicable

I think immediately, when I first learned of "him". I wondered how we knew about god, and my parents didn't really answer. I mostly avoided the topic until I was in my late teens, when I realized I felt quite differently about spirituality and religion than my peers.

Most did not take me seriously, others felt I was being rebellious. Now, my mother feels I am simply following the beliefs of others (my boyfriend, namely) and my father spends his time worrying about my spot in hell or if I will turn into a lesbian.

Grew up in the same lower middle class area of the Midwest my whole life.

I have attended church only for funerals and weddings, with the exception of three or so trips to a shoddy Baptist job with a friend's parents at around 9-11 years old.

Both of my parents are "religious if you ask" types. They don't discuss god unless someone says there is no god, or asks them if they're close to god. Then they are, heh. My grandmother and some other family members who live in the south are extremely Christian, and when I visit they try to get me to announce the lord as my savior, and admit I cannot be a good person without doing so. Annoying, really, and I've never told them about my atheism.

A growing awareness of social issues; empathy, humanity. Study of cause and effect, desires for freedom of choice and thought.

Have you ever been successful in causing a believer to change their thinking? And if so, how?
Not at all. An acquaintance of mine flitters between atheism and hipster spirituality, and when I offer my arguments against the supernatural, she buys it, until it's cool to believe in the paranormal and god(s) again. Yikes.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "periwinklefish"Do you know tour IQ?  ... not procured from internet tests, please!

No, but it would be somewhere in the above average spectrum.  

QuoteDo you have a college degree?  If so, what in?  And if not, why?

No. Started one but you could say I ran into some problems...was always wanting to leave anyways.  

QuoteWhat were you like as a child, adolescent, adult? examples: Argumentative, tenacious, inquisitive, passive, other?

Quiet mostly. I would also spend lots of time reading (since we didn't have cable or any other form of entertainment) and watching many hours of wildlife footage and astronomy videos.  

QuoteFor those of you who were born into nonreligious families, when did you/what caused you to own these beliefs for yourself?

I was born into and raised in a nonreligious family, though my parents were never atheists, but more like non practising agnostics or something of the sort...a lot like those who believe for the sake of belief. As for me, I believed in an intelligent creator up until more or less 11 because there was little reason to question theistic or deistic creation (really was never a part of my life, even though having gone to religious catholic schools with mandatory religious study classes) and accepted the answer because everybody believed in it. At that stage I would call myself a deist and not a theist however, the bible was always a collection of fairy tales to me, even in my young years.

I would describe my growing lack of belief in a god and in contrast growing anti theistic beliefs to have come slowly as if naturally (not through interaction with atheists - I was never deconverted) as the following couple of years progressed, and the more I learned the less space there was for the initial reason I had to believe in a god.

QuoteAt what age did you start questioning the existence of "god" ?

Christian Theism at around 7. I was in a catholic school at the time. Deism at around 11.

I'm an anti theist: I deny the existence of personal gods, but not anti deist because that sort of belief system does not have the impact worth fighting in daily lives.

QuoteHow did those you spoke to about it react when you told them your concerns?

Some were shocked (but only slightly) other shrugged it off. Not really a big issue.

QuoteAt what age did you identify as an atheist?

11 or 12.

QuoteWhere did you grow up? Where do you live now, and at what age did you move to your present location?

Brazil, The US, South Africa and India. I live in southern Brazil now and moved here when I was 21.

QuoteAt what age did you start and how often did you go to church?

I can count the number of times I've attended a church service on one hand...sometimes I wonder if I should attend a chruch meeting, just to know better what it's all about. I've also been meaning to read the bible fully for some time now, but it's low on my list of priorities.  

QuoteOf your caretakers, how many were: nonreligious, mildly religious, deeply religious?

Both were nonreligious but my mother's a born again christian now.

QuoteIn your opinion, what causes religious people to question religion?

Glimpses of reality mostly I would say.

QuoteHave you ever been successful in causing a believer to change their thinking?  And if so, how?

I have no idea.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Gludd20

Do you know your IQ? ... not procured from internet tests, please!
I do not.

No. I'm not out of high school yet.

Early on I was passive, but then I was (and still am) argumentative.

I really enjoyed science in school, and I began to realize that God's miracles don't make sense.

Around 10 or 11.

When I told my two closest friends I discovered that they were both atheists as well.

I live in the suburbs of Boston and always have.

Around 5. I went about once a month.

Both my parents were mildly religious.

I think it's when smart religious people start applying their knowledge of science and logic to God.

My friend, whom I'd talk to about my atheism, was a Jew and is now a deist.

sillyseal

Do you know your IQ?
I'm not sure but I'm thinking it would be around 500, more or less  ;)
No. I'm still a senior in high school, silly! I'm going to college, though. I'm undecided as to what degree I should go for. Really, really undecided.
As a child, I would say introverted and shy. During my leisure time, I would be outside with the animal I had at the time, helping (or observing, same difference) my father do yard work, or collecting lady bugs. As an adolescent, introverted, shy, bratty, passionate, and argumentative. I'm constantly classified as too mature or too immature (mostly), depending on the person. I'm the last kid out of four. I think that says more about me than previous labels.
I grew up believing there was this huge, white-bearded god that looked after me. After my dad's death, I began to question god and realized that religion had many contradictions and flaws so I became an agnostic theist. Then, I got more into it and became an agnostic. I know agnostic only pertains to the amount of certainty, rather than belief in god but I decided that I didn't need to choose between theist or atheist and could have my own meaning for it. Finally, after a painfully thorough examination, I arrived at the conclusion that I don't believe in a god.
When I became an agnostic theist, my catholic sister said I couldn't because I hadn't even read the bible (which is one of the most contradictory things she's ever said) and my deist sister was proud. When I told my family I was an atheist, my catholic sister told me I didn't have the guts to become an atheist. My deist sister was a bit disappointed it seemed and now, she makes fun of how important this topic is to me. My mom says that it is wrong and I'm going against my dead father. My catholic brother and I would just have discussions about it because we're both very passionate about this issue and we're not very close so it was more casual. My sisters and mom are much nicer than it seems... except when it comes to this particular topic, I guess.
Los Angeles, California; Klamath Falls, Oregon; 11 I'll be leaving in 4 months, though.
Since birth; I think about every Sunday but it gradually became less and less.
All are mildly religious. My definition of "mildly" is not accepting of other views but you can still live with them tolerably.
I think most people question religion but they reach different conclusions. You grow up with a certain label and you're exposed to enough different ideologies that you're forced into self-analysis. I think many people just give up on searching for the answer and go with what they feel comfortable with or they look for confirmation of their beliefs rather than the actual answer.
No. I've caused others to think about it and express their lack of confidence in their beliefs but I'm pretty sure it wasn't enough to convert them. When dealing with this issue, I'll argue my point and everything but I don't really try to convert them.

februarystars

Quote from: "YaarghMatey487"I remember the exact moment I took a look around and said "wow...what complete bullshit." I was at a Wednesday night youth service. We were discussing secular/non-Christian views on Christianity. The youth minister talked about Gandhi for a few minutes, making sure to mention his good works and non violence. Everything was going well... then the youth minster dropped the famous “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" quote. At that point, the guy sitting in front of me loudly stated something to the effect of "pft who the hell was Gandhi anyway? Just a brown guy in a diaper, right?" I was the ONLY person to stand up and tell him how ridiculous he sounded. After that I seriously began to question the rigid Southern Baptist doctrine I'd been raised with. That led to questioning everything else and realizing that it's all a load of bullshit. It's been a little over 10 years since that service. I can say that I'm much more content and at peace with myself than I was back then.

I had a very similar experience, also around 11 years ago. I was Catholic at the time, 14 years old, in my Wednesday night Catechism class. We had gotten onto the subject of different religions, and I was one of the few people in the class who didn't grow up Catholic. In my early childhood, I regularly went to a Mormon church with my grandmother, and later attended a Baptist church with my aunt for several years. I knew a lot of people in both of these churches, including good friends and family members.

After discussing for a while what many other religions and sects believe, our youth leader in my Catechism class tells us that "all these other religions might have good intentions, but the Catholic church is the only religion that is right, and the rest will unfortunately go to hell, but that's their fault because they know the Catholic church is the only true church and they choose to believe otherwise."

This struck me particularly hard, because this guy just condemned 90% of the people I knew to eternal pain and suffering. It made me start thinking about how some religions have this "we're right, you're wrong" perspective, while others are much more lenient and accepting of other religions. Every different religion claims to be the Unadulterated Word of God, yet every one of them preaches a different message.

It was also at this time that we were being prepared for Confirmation, which is the Catholic (and several other religions') rite in which you pledge your ultimate allegiance and obedience to the church. I thought, "How can I pledge allegiance to a church when I disagree with certain doctrines it teaches?" I was thinking particularly of the one that had been eating away at me about the church's stance on people of other religions going to hell. I decided this internal struggle would not possibly allow me to do such a thing. It was then that I left the church, and decided that the chaos of organized religion (how's that for an oxymoron?) just wasn't for me. I became somewhat of a deist for a while â€" I guess it was a good transition â€" before coming to terms with the silliness of it all, and I haven't looked back since.
Mulder: He put the whammy on him.
Scully: Please explain to me the scientific nature of "the whammy."

YaarghMatey487

Do you know tour IQ? ... not procured from internet tests, please! - I do but I don't see any reason for disclosing it.

Do you have a college degree? If so, what in? And if not, why?- BA in History and Political Science

What were you like as a child, adolescent, adult? examples: Argumentative, tenacious, inquisitive, passive, other? - I am and have always been an inquisitive asshole.

For those who were religious and at some point became an atheist, what caused this change in thinking for you?- Youth group. (I have a whole post dedicated to this event)

At what age did you start questioning the existence of "god" ?- Proactively? I'd say 13

How did those you spoke to about it react when you told them your concerns?- I didn't really talk about it with anyone until I went to college.

At what age did you identify as an atheist?- Officially 22

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now, and at what age did you move to your present location?- I grew up in Georgia and have escaped that backwards, nationalist, racist, homophobic shit hole. I moved to Nashville 2 years ago.

At what age did you start and how often did you go to church?- My family attended to church when I was very small but we moved to another town when I was 5. I voluntarily went to church on and off until middle school. From middle school- junior year of high school I attended church fairly regularly (voluntarily) with friends.

Of your caretakers, how many were: nonreligious, mildly religious, deeply religious?- my parents/family are mainly from what I call the "holier than thou" ilk.

In your opinion, what causes religious people to question religion?- recognizing general douchebaggery?

Have you ever been successful in causing a believer to change their thinking? And if so, how?- :) I have a friend who started mildly questioning his beliefs... I may have emailed some atheist literature.
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie