News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The purpose of life

Started by gsaint, January 14, 2011, 04:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsaint

I hope this topic hasn't already been posted I would hate to be redundant. Still I would to know What is the purpose of life to you? Why do you believe that is the purpose of life? Does life even have a purpose.

Whitney

Generally, there is no purpose.
Biologically, the 'purpose' of life is to survive.
Personally, the 'purpose' of life is to enjoy it.

LegendarySandwich

The only purpose that life has is the one we give it.

There is no inherent purpose in life; there is no "ultimate meaning" written in the stars.

The universe does not care about us. We could be wiped off the face of the planet right now and life would continue on Earth; the Earth could be wiped out of the universe right now and the universe would continue as if nothing had happened.

The only way life can have a meaning is if we ascribe one to it.

Tank

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"The only purpose that life has is the one we give it.

There is no inherent purpose in life; there is no "ultimate meaning" written in the stars.

The universe does not care about us. We could be wiped off the face of the planet right now and life would continue on Earth; the Earth could be wiped out of the universe right now and the universe would continue as if nothing had happened.

The only way life can have a meaning is if we ascribe one to it.
I think LS pretty much sums up the big picture there.

I would add though that on a day-to-day basis my purpose in life is to enjoy the little things a do no harm to others. I took my dogs for a long walk today, smoked a good cigar while doing so, watched my dogs have a wonderful time failing to catch rabbits and squirrels and making other peoples kids laugh while doing so. I took some photo's while I was out even though the weather was not the best. I quite like this one:-

Sally is the little white dog and Katie the grey one.

I didn't fix any of the worlds problems, I didn't add to global warming, I chatted to some of my fellow dog owners as the dogs sniffed each others bottoms. I considered myself lucky not to be living in Brisbane or Brazil. Today was pleasant. I considered how fortunate I am to be who I am, to live where I live and to be born when I was.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

gsaint, why does your life have to have a purpose? why is that important to you? What would happen if you found out that your purpose is a fallicy and has been presented to you as an elaborate lie?

ablprop

Quote from: "gsaint"I hope this topic hasn't already been posted I would hate to be redundant. Still I would to know What is the purpose of life to you? Why do you believe that is the purpose of life? Does life even have a purpose.

I think it's a good question and deserves an answer. If belief in Christ (as I surmise from your information) gives your life what you see as purpose, then more power to you. I'm going to go on the assumption, though, that you're here because you feel that this purpose is a little hollow, and you're looking for something more.

Today I hugged my daughters, kissed my wife, delved deeply into the Pauli Exclusion Principle to try to understand it (still working!), downloaded Macbeth onto my Nook, wrote a blog entry about helium, introduced my younger daughter to one of my favorite movies (Labyrinth with a young Jennifer Connelly - wow!), and now I'm making dinner. I can't imagine a fuller or more purposeful life. I don't need all that other stuff when I've got what I've got.

Carl Sagan constantly inspires me. Here are his words about purpose:

"These are some of the things that hydrogen atoms do given fifteen billion years of cosmic evolution. It has the sound of epic myth, but it is simply a description of the evolution of the cosmos as revealed by science in our time. And we, we who embody the local eyes and ears and thoughts and feelings of the cosmos, we have begun at least to wonder about our origins -- star stuff contemplating the stars, organized collections of ten billion billion billion atoms, contemplating the evolution of nature, tracing that long path by which it arrived at consciousness here on the planet earth, and perhaps throughout the cosmos.

Our loyalties are to the species and to the planet. We speak for earth. Our obligation to survive and flourish is owed not just to ourselves but also to that cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring!"

Carl also said, "When you're in love you want to tell the world." I'm in love with life and with learning all there is to know about this amazing and mysterious Cosmos. You can join me. It's a great ride.

The Magic Pudding

Here are two.

Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

Ultima22689

Man I love Carl Sagan, I wish he was alive today, that quote defines it better than I ever could.

TheJackel

It's simple.. The purpose of life is self-attaining.

Asmodean

The purpose of my existence varies on a daily basis (Not including the biological purpose or the "grand scheme" purpose, only the subjective personal one.)

The purpose of my day is whatever I want it to be - from purposelessness to productiveness.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

elliebean

Life is self-justified; no purpose is required. Also, purpose itself is subjective.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

TheJackel

Quote from: "elliebean"Life is self-justified; no purpose is required. Also, purpose itself is subjective.

Purpose is automatically applicable to anything that does exist. Purpose doesn't require anything more or less. The level of purpose can always be considered self-attaining. A simple chemical reaction is self-attaining purpose. Two colors merging to form a new color is self-attaining purpose. :)

gsaint

thank you for your answers. My life isn't hollow. I just wanted to know what you thought and why you think that way.

forgive my generalities but I heard some similar themes. I know you won't hesitate in correcting my assumptions and I don't mind it if you do so in a courteous way.

A couple of you said that it is what you want it to mean.
Some say to enjoy it.
Some said to stay alive and further the species.

So what helped you come to this conclusion? (excuse me if you have already stated it)

Tank very nice picture it looked like a lovely day.

Tank

I have never been a believer. I was brought up in a neutral household, Dad an atheist and Mum a Christian. I got taken to Church and was confirmed but it never stuck. So I never felt that I was part of some big plan nor had any purpose other than to exist. I enjoy helping others because I can see them become happy. I think I'm a natural altruist. Until recently I didn't actively ponder that there was any reason to worry about the fact that I was born and I would die, it never mattered. I have considered it of late but only because people have expressed the opinion that they find not feeling they have a purpose is something they worry about.

I have never worried that there is no 'higher purpose' or plan, it never even got on the radar for me.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "gsaint"So what helped you come to this conclusion? (excuse me if you have already stated it)
It's a pretty obvious position that all purpose is subjective, in my eyes. I mean, once you become an atheist and reject religion, the concept of objective purpose and morality is naturally next to follow the tossing.