News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The purpose of life

Started by gsaint, January 14, 2011, 04:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: "iSok"
Quote from: "pilchardo"The purpose of life is to grow and learn and experience and evolve. That's my paradigm.

Agreed.

These seem to be things that happen to us each and everyday, like breathing and going to the toilet, but not a purpose as such.

BTW did you mean to say that the purpose was to "evolve". Don't you mean to "be created"?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Stevil"BTW did you mean to say that the purpose was to "evolve". Don't you mean to "be created"?
Wouldn't the purpose of LIFE imply life exists already for the individual or are you looking at it from the Evolution from the Big Bang to humanity?  One can and does evolve in character as they mature.

Stevil

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "Stevil"BTW did you mean to say that the purpose was to "evolve". Don't you mean to "be created"?
Wouldn't the purpose of LIFE imply life exists already for the individual.
No. If we are trying to find a universal purpose for human beings we need to include all humans, those that have been and gone, those that are here today and those that are yet to come. I personally don't believe there is such a purpose. We do not need a universal purpose, nor does such purpose add to our lives on the contrary it detracts and means that some people maybe wasting their time chasing goals that aren't really there.

We are just simply here (for a very short amount of time)
    It's your one shot at life now deal with it however you deem best
    Just remember that for others around you, it is their one shot at life too

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Stevil"
Wouldn't the purpose of LIFE imply life exists already for the individual.
No. If we are trying to find a universal purpose for human beings we need to include all humans, those that have been and gone, those that are here today and those that are yet to come. I personally don't believe there is such a purpose. We do not need a universal purpose, nor does such purpose add to our lives on the contrary it detracts and means that some people maybe wasting their time chasing goals that aren't really there.
I find this confusing.  If you include humans, then humans are already created, or in the evolutionary view, have already evolved.  What comes next might not be "human" as defined today (unless the definition of human evolves also). If evolution is correct, then the evolutionary process continues and humanity may or may not exist as we know it in a few million years.  So in context, yes, we are already "created" and cannot therefore insert "be created" into something that has already happened and simply IS.  Furthermore, how can one being, in mid-evolutionary process, presume to think there is no purpose, that a purpose is not needed, nor does it add to our lives?  If we don't know WHAT, if anything, started it all in motion, then we don't know WHAT, if anything, will stop the motion.  We are simply pawns on a universal scale who's purpose we may never understand or know since the playing field is quite large and beyond our vision, our seemingly insignificant moves and subsequent death on the field may not be known until after we are gone.

It's far more honest to say Purpose cannot be known at this point, in this context.
    We are just simply here (for a very short amount of time)
    It's your one shot at life now deal with it however you deem best
    Just remember that for others around you, it is their one shot at life too
I tend to more agree with this.

Stevil

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"It's far more honest to say Purpose cannot be known at this point, in this context.
For an Atheist it is honest to say there is no universal purpose.
For a Theist, maybe they could say "Purpose cannot be known at this point", I can't speak for a theist as I can't think like one in this instance, maybe their scriptures tells them what their purpose is?

However if purpose is unknown then wouldn't it make sense to live life as if there is no purpose?

With regards to definition of "human" does this only include Homo sapiens?
The actual distinction between what a homo sapien is or is not with regards to degree of evolution is a man-made distinction, if you believe in the evolution theory then all life is constantly evolving from generation to generation. I was actually trying to include all human evolution links (homo erectus, homo neanderthalensis, etc) but was not sure of the word for the collective group.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Stevil"For an Atheist it is honest to say there is no universal purpose.
Isn't this [kind of] point discussed and debated between Atheists?  The meaning of Atheist/Atheism?  Strong vs. Weak Atheism?
If so, then I would argue that this is only for the Strong Atheist and so not for all of Atheism.  Only the Strong Atheist can say this...
How many Strong Atheists exist?  How many on this forum?

Stevil

Quote from: "Stevil"For an Atheist it is honest to say there is no universal purpose.
Isn't this [kind of] point discussed and debated between Atheists?  The meaning of Atheist/Ateism?  Strong vs. Weak Atheism?
If so, then I would argue that this is only for the Strong Atheist and so not for all of Atheism.  Only the Strong Atheist can say this...
I would classify myself as a weak atheist, I live my life as if there is no deity simply because there is no proof to suggest otherwise. I have never seen any proof as to a universal purpose for me and my kind. Hence no purpose. If some proof comes up then I will be willing to say that there is a purpose.

LegendarySandwich

Isn't this [kind of] point discussed and debated between Atheists?  The meaning of Atheist/Atheism?  Strong vs. Weak Atheism?
It depends on what god we're talking about.

AnimatedDirt

Isn't this [kind of] point discussed and debated between Atheists?  The meaning of Atheist/Ateism?  Strong vs. Weak Atheism?
I would classify myself as a weak atheist, I live my life as if there is no deity simply because there is no proof to suggest otherwise. I have never seen any proof as to a universal purpose for me and my kind. Hence no purpose. If some proof comes up then I will be willing to say that there is a purpose.
Mmm...I'm still not quite convinced, as a Weak Atheist, you can even promote "no purpose" not having enough knowledge to make that statement.  I would again simply say that you, being a Weak Atheist, acknowledges you do not posess the required knowledge to make a dogmatic statement.  It would therefore be better to say;
Quote from: "Weak Atheism"I have never seen any proof as to a universal purpose. -full stop-
...IMHO.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
It depends on what god we're talking about.
True.  I will disregard so as not to derail the thread.  :)

gsaint

why are some of you so defensive? if you were not offend by my questions then you need not reply. If I have offend most of you with my line of questioning then I apologize.

Stevil

Quote from: "Weak Atheism"I have never seen any proof as to a universal purpose. -full stop-
...IMHO.
OK, fair enough. I'm happy with a stance of I have never seen any proof as to a universal purpose.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "gsaint"why are some of you so defensive?
Who's defensive?

Quoteif you were not offend by my questions then you need not reply.
... :hmm: Are you telling us that if we responded to your questions, we were offended?

QuoteIf I have offend most of you with my line of questioning then I apologize.
There's nothing offensive about it.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "gsaint"why are some of you so defensive?
Who's defensive?

Quoteif you were not offend by my questions then you need not reply.
... :hmm: Are you telling us that if we responded to your questions, we were offended?

QuoteIf I have offend most of you with my line of questioning then I apologize.
There's nothing offensive about it.

I think she's referring to that post specifically LS.

The Magic Pudding