News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

2nd Amendment Remedies

Started by Sophus, January 08, 2011, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Is the Tea Party happy now? A Democrat congresswoman from Arizona has been shot and killed.

Quote from: "Sharron Angle"I hope that’s not where we’re going, but, you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking to those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around?

Sarah Palin should probably lose her analogy too...

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

LegendarySandwich

Wait, I don't get it. Are you arguing that we should make amendments to the Second Amendment or are you arguing against it?

Sophus

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Wait, I don't get it. Are you arguing that we should make amendments to the Second Amendment or are you arguing against it?
I'm saying members in the Tea Party, such as Sharron Angle, have been suggesting their followers use guns against politicians they don't like. And now it has finally happened.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Wait, I don't get it. Are you arguing that we should make amendments to the Second Amendment or are you arguing against it?
I'm saying members in the Tea Party, such as Sharron Angle, have been suggesting their followers use guns against politicians they don't like. And now it has finally happened.
Ahhhhh.
Well, that's immensely stupid, and she should be charged as an indirect cause of murder.

Sophus

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Sophus"
Ahhhhh.
Well, that's immensely stupid, and she should be charged as an indirect cause of murder.
Well, not exactly. The entire Tea Party has been contributing to this level of anger and hostility. She has been receiving threats from the Tea Party for a while.

Quote from: "NY Post"Her father Spencer Giffords, 75, was rushing to the hospital when asked if his 40-year-old daughter had any enemies.
"Yeah," he told The Post. "The whole tea party."
He added that politicians constantly faced danger.
"They always get threat[ened]," Giffords cried. "We don’t really have any information. The Police department was supposed to call us but they didn't."

Cecilie

Quote from: "Sophus"Is the Tea Party happy now? A Democrat congresswoman from Arizona has been shot and killed.
Actually, she's in surgery. That's what I read.
The world's what you create.

grim-reaper

These tea party people remind me of Hitler's brown shirts. Damned them.

Sophus

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "Sophus"Is the Tea Party happy now? A Democrat congresswoman from Arizona has been shot and killed.
Actually, she's in surgery. That's what I read.
That's what I'm hearing now, among other conflicting reports.

Recusant

It would not surprise me at all to learn that the shooter considers himself a patriot who was standing up to tyranny.  If this is the case, then Palin, with her "target list" rhetoric (which has been purposely left ambiguous),

and other prominent figures on the right who've used similar rhetoric will be splashed with the blood of the victims, whether they acknowledge it or not.

I think that anyone who's been paying attention to the noises coming from the right, including the "tea party"  tools, saw this coming.  I hang out on right-wing forums occasionally, and there has been a lot of talk about, "stocking up on ammo" and, "the second amendment is there for a reason" etc. as these fine patriots egg each other on.  It will be interesting to watch their reaction to this, if it turns out that the shooter is one of their own.

And yes, the latest updates have Giffords in surgery now, in critical condition.  At least one of her aides seems to have been killed, and possibly a judge as well.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

Quote from: "Recusant"It will be interesting to watch their reaction to this, if it turns out that the shooter is one of their own.
Considering she has received threats before from the Tea Party I have little doubt that it is. The one good thing that may come from all of this is it could potentially quell much of the anger on the far right once they see that buying into all the indignant propaganda and fear mongering has real consequences. One can hope. Of course it won't help that cause if Palin continues to say nonsense like this....

Also, I have no idea what this image means, but it's being circulated. Would seem to be photoshopped or something since the shooter has been identified as Jared Laughner.

Reports coming in that a 9 year old was shot dead.   :verysad:

Tank

Unfortunately not altogether surprising.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

A few of the comments from one of my favorite wing-nut forums:

Quote"Things are starting to change."

"Arizona? Hope it was an illegal."

"Here is her voting record. A big time lib.

http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=28507"

"To the RATS in DC....are you listening?? People are at their breaking points."

"Now that one of Washington's own has been killed, here comes the gun control legislation."

"'The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.'

What is the friggin apparent NATIONALITY and/or RACE of the PERP!?!?! We have GOT to get past this PC bullstuff!"

"Now lets see who gets the blame. If its blamed on the Tea Party or patriots in general, this sort of thing has been predicted in a black ops sort of way to undermine the conservative movement. I sincerely pray that's not the case.

Things like this shouldn't happen in our country. My prayers go out to the families of all the victims."

"Sorry, dude. It's way past time for this sort of stuff to be happening in this country.
I don't know this congresswoman, don't have anything against her personally, but she represents the government. The crooked, corrupt govt in this nation. Who else will people lash out against if not congress?"

"Trouble is, it ain't "our" country anymore."

"We're teetering at the abyss, now."

"Well the shooters are getting better atleast.
Been expecting this for awhile now.. the .gov will use to for gun control and as much control over everything they can "Never let a crisis goto waste"

Will be more interesting to see how they spin this... and WHO spins it then finding out some useless waiste of space poltician has died."

...And so on and so forth.  There is an occasional mention of "prayers go out to the families" but that's far outnumbered by more political takes on the topic, as seen above.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

McQ

A little early to start pointing fingers and placing blame when people should be showing concern for those who were murdered or injured. Let's not do this, ok? Please just nobody go forward with theories of conspiracy, or implicate people who may have had no role in this. As far as anyone knows, this was one individual, acting on his own.

Speculation is not productive, helpful, or warranted. I will lock the thread if the raw speculation doesn't cease immediately. It's just wrong.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

KDbeads

No speculation/conspiracy/etc I promise....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns ... ?gt1=43001

In custody, 22 year old wack job with this to say on his myspace:
Quote"I know who's listening: Government Officials, and the People," Loughner wrote. "Nearly all the people, who don't know this accurate information of a new currency, aren't aware of mind control and brainwash methods. If I have my civil rights, then this message wouldn't have happen (sic)."

He seems a bit delusional to me.

A federal judge and a 9 year old among others......  Horrible.....  :shake:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Sophus

Quote from: "McQ"A little early to start pointing fingers and placing blame when people should be showing concern for those who were murdered or injured. Let's not do this, ok? Please just nobody go forward with theories of conspiracy, or implicate people who may have had no role in this. As far as anyone knows, this was one individual, acting on his own.

Speculation is not productive, helpful, or warranted. I will lock the thread if the raw speculation doesn't cease immediately. It's just wrong.
Not sure what you mean, McQ. Naturally, I think everyone here is concerned.

The man who fired the gun has been caught (he's the one to blame). These aren't "conspiracy theories", this is addressing the problem of what has been obvious violent rhetoric from the Tea Party - it's a problem Gabrielle Giffords herself is talking about saysing “Sarah Palin has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district and when people do that, they’ve gotta realize there are consequences to that action.” It couldn't have been more blatant from Sharron Angle, and it's becoming more noticeable from Sarah Palin. The fact of the matter is, there are a number of members from within the Tea Party who support the use of violence to "fix" their political problems. There was a recent shooting in Pittsburg where the shooter claimed he attacked because he was "afraid Obama would take his guns away". This isn't the first time this particular congresswoman has been attacked either. Her office was vandalized after voting yes on health care reform, and as mentioned above, she received threats from the Tea Party. It doesn't seem at all plausible to suggest that opening fire on a congressman, her staff and a federal judge was not a politically motivated action.