News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Why are we here? - Islam

Started by iSok, January 08, 2011, 02:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJAkuma

Quote from: "Sophus"Noting the perversity of this argument would seem to be a relevant point if you are acknowledging Islam had its own evolution, ergo is invalid, why then, do you either not recognize this is true of many old religions, including your own? Or why should one prove to be an exception to the rule? If the latter is the case, how would we know Islam isn't capable of being valid?

With the assertion that Islam is the newest revelation so therefore it must be right I'd say then that it can't be since the book of mormon is newer still and makes the same claim that it is true and the other ones are incorrect. At least until someone else needs money and writes a new revelation that declares itself to be the true one. It's really too bad that the people who believe that stuff don't even realize they're falling for the same thing over and over.

hackenslash

Quote from: "Simonsimon"Why would a omnipotent and omniescient God be impossible? I'm not entirely sure I understand your reasons.

Seriously? OK, then. I'll walk you through the baby steps, but this is logic 101.

Can this omnipotent deity build a stack of bricks so heavy that even he can't lift it?

If he can, then he can't lift it and he isn't omnipotent. If he can't then he isn't omnipotent. The usual retort of the credulous here is to cite that he can only do what is logically possible, but that doesn't provide a get-out clause, because a) it places a limit on god's power, therefore he isn't omnipotent, and b) this constitutes something that god cannot do but that I can, meaning that I have a power that the deity does not, so he isn't omnipotent.

When taken together with omniscience, the questions is rendered 'can this magic man do something that he didn't know he'd do?'

If he can, then he isn't omniscient. If he can't, then he isn't omnipotent. The two attributes are mutually exclusive, and obviously the product of a human mind, and one not very good at thinking, to boot.

Now, your friend can cite all the vague wibble from the Qu'ran he likes, along with his explanations of what was meant by them. The fallacy in play here is the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy. I'm sure you can work out why it has that particular name.

So yes, the deity does not exist, and the Qu'ran is fiction. I can say this without ambiguity or fear of misunderstanding. In fact, I'll go one further. I'll state categorically, here and now, that NONE of the deities that have ever been presented by the credulous or the dim of wit enjoy existence, because they're all similarly impossible, having also been given mutually exclusive or logically absurd attributes. Whatever deity may or may not exist, it's not any of the ones we've heard of.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "hackenslash"If he can, then he can't lift it and he isn't omnipotent. If he can't then he isn't omnipotent. The usual retort of the credulous here is to cite that he can only do what is logically possible, but that doesn't provide a get-out clause, because a) it places a limit on god's power, therefore he isn't omnipotent, and b) this constitutes something that god cannot do but that I can, meaning that I have a power that the deity does not, so he isn't omnipotent.
Saying that God is limited by what is logically possible is pretty ridiculous. I mean, God created logic. Why would he then limit himself with it?

DJAkuma

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "hackenslash"If he can, then he can't lift it and he isn't omnipotent. If he can't then he isn't omnipotent. The usual retort of the credulous here is to cite that he can only do what is logically possible, but that doesn't provide a get-out clause, because a) it places a limit on god's power, therefore he isn't omnipotent, and b) this constitutes something that god cannot do but that I can, meaning that I have a power that the deity does not, so he isn't omnipotent.
Saying that God is limited by what is logically possible is pretty ridiculous. I mean, God created logic. Why would he then limit himself with it?

Any deity that would make rules that he is not willing to follow himself probably isn't worth being worshiped in the first place.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "DJAkuma"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"

Any deity that would make rules that he is not willing to follow himself probably isn't worth being worshiped in the first place.
Why? Why would a deity force himself to follow logic? I mean, I understand limiting himself to logic when interacting with us in our universe; but he "cannot do what is logically impossible"? How does that make any sense? How could he not be able to, if he made it?

DJAkuma

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Why? Why would a deity force himself to follow logic? I mean, I understand limiting himself to logic when interacting with us in our universe; but he "cannot do what is logically impossible"? How does that make any sense? How could he not be able to, if he made it?

I see what you mean, I was mostly pointing out that a god that refuses to follow the rules he put in place is being a dick and a hypocrite, like a cop who breaks ten traffic laws on the way to get donuts.

Asmodean

Quote from: "iSok"Why did you already deny the existence of a God without ever have read a religious book, except the Bible?
Why do you think there are truths about the existence of gods in religious books?

I have not seen, touched or read the Book of the Dead, but I'm pretty sure Anubis does not exist... Even though it would be cool if he did. Why do I not have to have read the book to deny Anubis..? Because beyond a pre-scientific method wall carvings, nothing can substantiate his existence. I have no urge to fill the gaps in my knowledge with Anubis nor to explain my existence beyond this life with him. The same applies to every deity ever described to me, even those whos books I've read.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DJAkuma

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "iSok"Why did you already deny the existence of a God without ever have read a religious book, except the Bible?
Why do you think there are truths about the existence of gods in religious books?

I have not seen, touched or read the Book of the Dead, but I'm pretty sure Anubis does not exist... Even though it would be cool if he did. Why do I not have to have read the book to deny Anubis..? Because beyond a pre-scientific method wall carvings, nothing can substantiate his existence. I have no urge to fill the gaps in my knowledge with Anubis nor to explain my existence beyond this life with him. The same applies to every deity ever described to me, even those whos books I've read.

At least the egyptians had pictures... how come there's tons of contemporary sculptures of romans and egyptians but none of jesus or anyone who knew him? I guess when the romans were persecuting christians they got rid of ever single sculpture but somehow couldn't get rid of their writings too. Maybe they should have hid a few in the cave with the dead sea scrolls.

iSok

Thanks for all your replies.

Davin put out some interesting points.
However, my finals are starting in a week.
So this is probably my last post now.

I'll try posting again in a day or 10.

with kind regards,
iSoK
Qur'an [49:13] - "O Mankind, We created you all from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another. Verily the noblest of you in the sight of God is the most God-fearing of you. Surely God is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

Tank

Good luck in your finals. See you later!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Perhaps, after this exchange, you may come back with a more open mind.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Achronos"All manmade religions are the same in that they are unable to lead men to God.

I do think this is the first thing I've read from you that I agree with.

Of course, your manmade religion is included in this statement... Right?
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

iSok

you people should stop hijacking my topic till I come back :D
Qur'an [49:13] - "O Mankind, We created you all from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another. Verily the noblest of you in the sight of God is the most God-fearing of you. Surely God is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

Tank

Quote from: "iSok"you people should stop hijacking my topic till I come back :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Achronos' derail split to his new ego thread:  viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6601