News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A movie, family member converting and common sense...

Started by RyB17, January 11, 2011, 04:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyB17

...are the reason why I decided to research why I feel the way I do about religion.

Movie: Zeitgeist; The Greatest Story Ever Told. This movie really sparked my curiosity. Anyone ever seen it?

Family Member: My sister converted to catholic. We were raised in a house that never brought up religion. She married into a catholic family...thus felt it necessary to convert?

Common sense: this speaks for itself.

lundberg500

Zeitgeist is good at doing just that, sparking curiosity to learn more about religion. I truly believe that's all this movie intended to do. Beware that not everything presented in Zeitgeist is verifiable or true. I have researched much of what was presented in Zeitgeist and not all of it can be verified.

RyB17

Quote from: "lundberg500"Zeitgeist is good at doing just that, sparking curiosity to learn more about religion. I truly believe that's all this movie intended to do. Beware that not everything presented in Zeitgeist is verifiable or true. I have researched much of what was presented in Zeitgeist and not all of it can be verified.

I completely agree with you. My sister converting is what really drove me to dig around. It just didn't make sense to me that a family made her feel like she needed to convert in order to prove herself worthy?? I don't agree with it that at all.

lundberg500

I guess she feels like she needs to do that to fit it and be accepted by his parents. The world would be a so much better place without religion. We were born too soon, I believe...  :sigh:  Maybe around the year 3,000 would have been a little better..

Asmodean

Quote from: "RyB17"Family Member: My sister converted to catholic. We were raised in a house that never brought up religion. She married into a catholic family...thus felt it necessary to convert?
...So now she can pretend to believe in god to make her husband's family happy..?  :shake:

People do a lot for love, but dishonesty is dishonesty however you justify it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DJAkuma

In mormonism it's common for people to convert to marry since you can't get married in the temple unless both of you are mormon and in good standing.

Gawen

Zeitgeist was a crock of shit. And that's the second time I think I've used foul language on these boards. Goes to show you how I really feel about the movie.

As far as converting to a religion not your own, through marriage...well...it may show a huge compromise and devotion to the spouse, but...

Is one willing to do this and be honest with themselves? Does it matter to them?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor