News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Having a personal relationship with God

Started by lundberg500, January 06, 2011, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Quote from: "Achronos"Faith is the way in which one thinks. I believe I told you that already.  It's not a matter of observable evidence, it's a matter of a way of thinking.

Have you ever wondered and asked for yourself, why is it that some atheists have resorted to belief later on in their lives?  I can't speak for them, but certainly for myself, I see vanity in a cosmos without God.
If you're referring to death bed conversions most of those are subterfuge by believers. What makes you think believers don't shed their faith later in life? In many cases they do.

I would also say your faith is probably (for all I know; I don't know you) limited to ideas pertaining to religion. In any other case, everyone wants evidence.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Sophus

Ah! The above post duplicated itself. O merciful overlords, please delete this one.  :-)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

Quote from: "Achronos"Proof of nihilism?  The idea that you are nothing but an existing consciousness that will cease to exist?  Isn't that what you believe?  What should I prove to you?
Proof of narrow-mindedness. I suppose I should have specified more precisely.

QuotePhotophobia?  My sig says what is says.  The tragedy of existence without God is complete vanity.
No, it says something along these lines:
QuoteWe can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Plato
Demonstrate the tragedy, please. The part about men being afraid of the light. Be it metaphorical photophobia or medical matters little. Where be the tragedy..? If there is none, why use that quote?

QuoteI'll quote Psalm 127: " Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.
It's bullshit though. A builder builds in vain if the work is never completed or completed and never used. A watchman stays awake in vain when it is reasonable to expect that he will not see what's coming even when it's coming.

Quote2 It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep"
Uh-huh... And..? (Point being..?)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Achronos

The tragedy is this.  That all my memories, all my loved ones, all what I know will be gone.  Energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed, but my whole life can.
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."
- St. Augustine

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Achronos"The tragedy is this.  That all my memories, all my loved ones, all what I know will be gone.  Energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed, but my whole life can.
That's life.

You can either accept reality or get caught up in wishful fantasy. I choose to do the former.

Achronos

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Achronos"The tragedy is this.  That all my memories, all my loved ones, all what I know will be gone.  Energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed, but my whole life can.
That's life.

You can either accept reality or get caught up in wishful fantasy. I choose to do the former.
Such as the fantasy of materialism?
You have not really proven your point here, only asserted your dogma.
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."
- St. Augustine

lundberg500

QuoteEnergy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed
That eliminates the need for God right there.   ;)

Achronos

LS there's nothing wrong with "existential nihilism." It's a condition that reflects your faith. Existentially speaking you prefer not existing and your hope is for it to materialize that way. The problem is that may not be exactly how things are. Your faith is guiding you to that condition and it may very well be delusional. Proof of non-existence can't be proven since no one who has died has come back to tell us that, that is how it is on the other side. Existentially, It's a question that will never be answered by anyone. It's a circular argument without any proofs. True science requires proofs. The truth of the matter is that one will always be gambling when it comes to the question of does god exist.

What drives me and others I suppose to belief in god rather than disbelieving is love. Proof doesn't exist either fore or against. What does exist is want and if we have love in us. We follow Christ who is love.
- St. Augustine

Whitney

Quote from: "Achronos"LS there's nothing wrong with "existential nihilism." It's a condition that reflects your faith. Existentially speaking you prefer not existing and your hope is for it to materialize that way. The problem is that may not be exactly how things are. Your faith is guiding you to that condition and it may very well be delusional. Proof of non-existence can't be proven since no one who has died has come back to tell us that, that is how it is on the other side. Existentially, It's a question that will never be answered by anyone. It's a circular argument without any proofs. True science requires proofs. The truth of the matter is that one will always be gambling when it comes to the question of does god exist.

What drives me and others I suppose to belief in god rather than disbelieving is love. Proof doesn't exist either fore or against. What does exist is want and if we have love in us. We follow Christ who is love.

Let's see...you just told someone that they don't like living and that they have no love in them...can you give me a reason for why I shouldn't issue strike 3?

Stevil

Quote from: "Achronos"What drives me and others I suppose to belief in god rather than disbelieving is love. Proof doesn't exist either fore or against. What does exist is want and if we have love in us. We follow Christ who is love.

Christian love is:
Disapproval, objection and ostracisation of homosexuals
Discrimination against non Christians and love between Christians and non Christians
Judgment of people's lack of belief in the Christian god
Rejection of safe sexual practices
Guilt and ostracisation of followers who have not repented sins via penance

Atheist love could be:
Tolerance
Freedom
Acceptance
Mutual coexistence
(depending on the individual atheist since no doctrine is promoted)

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Achronos"I see vanity in a cosmos without God.

... says the guy who believes that humans are the central locus of all Creation.

Go on ...
Illegitimi non carborundum.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Achronos"LS there's nothing wrong with "existential nihilism." It's a condition that reflects your faith. Existentially speaking you prefer not existing and your hope is for it to materialize that way. The problem is that may not be exactly how things are. Your faith is guiding you to that condition and it may very well be delusional. Proof of non-existence can't be proven since no one who has died has come back to tell us that, that is how it is on the other side. Existentially, It's a question that will never be answered by anyone. It's a circular argument without any proofs. True science requires proofs. The truth of the matter is that one will always be gambling when it comes to the question of does god exist.

I'm not saying that anything "beyond us" can't exist; I'm saying that I choose not to believe in such things. It's not a faith. It's not a dogma.

Like Whitney implied, I'm not suicidal, nor am I heartless.

gsaint

So I will re-post my statement to you fine ladies and Gentlemen out there

I said to Mr. lundberg500 "I live with God daily. You have shown me nothing that says that what I am experiencing is a delusion. You haven't been able to do so because you can't prove your point. I will believe this until you give me good solid proof to disprove a 20 year relationship with God."

I still haven't heard anyone disprove this point

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "gsaint"So I will re-post my statement to you fine ladies and Gentlemen out there

I said to Mr. lundberg500 "I live with God daily. You have shown me nothing that says that what I am experiencing is a delusion. You haven't been able to do so because you can't prove your point. I will believe this until you give me good solid proof to disprove a 20 year relationship with God."

I still haven't heard anyone disprove this point
I will believe that Elvis Presley has been talking to me in my head for 20 years, and will continue to believe so, until you can prove that he hasn't and won't.

I'm waiting.

gsaint

QuoteI will believe that Elvis Presley has been talking to me in my head for 20 years, and will continue to believe so, until you can prove that he hasn't and won't.

I'm waiting.

so what your saying is you have no proof?