News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Something I've noticed over the course of several years

Started by DJAkuma, December 21, 2010, 06:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJAkuma

In many places of business you'll see where the proprietor has put on the wall checks from customers that bounced as a reminder of who not to take a check from. One can probably assume that those customers not only wrote a bad check but never returned to make good on it.

On many of those checks I noticed that the vast majority had bible verses, angels, a picture of jesus or some other religious symbolism.

What I'm wondering is why that is. Do people who are religious enough to emblazon their personal checks with those things feel that since they'll be forgiven that it's alright to steal? Or is it that the rest of society uses cash or credit cards to pay for goods and services?

Next time you're out shopping take a look and see if you find the same thing.

Sophus

Quote from: "DJAkuma"In many places of business you'll see where the proprietor has put on the wall checks from customers that bounced as a reminder of who not to take a check from. One can probably assume that those customers not only wrote a bad check but never returned to make good on it.

On many of those checks I noticed that the vast majority had bible verses, angels, a picture of jesus or some other religious symbolism.

What I'm wondering is why that is. Do people who are religious enough to emblazon their personal checks with those things feel that since they'll be forgiven that it's alright to steal? Or is it that the rest of society uses cash or credit cards to pay for goods and services?

It may be to make you think you can trust them.

"Oh it's a good church goer. Nothing to worry about here."
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

DJAkuma

Quote from: "Sophus"It may be to make you think you can trust them.

"Oh it's a good church goer. Nothing to worry about here."

I'm sure that may be the motivation for some religious people, for others it's probably akin to someone ordering checks with cars on them because it's something they like.

The big question though was the reasoning for so many people to openly display their faith yet equally openly not follow one of their own commandments.

Whitney

I never noticed.  Around here no one takes checks and a few years ago when places still did take checks they could electronically verify funds during the transaction...so it's been years since I've seen a place with bad checks posted on the wall.

DJAkuma

Quote from: "Whitney"I never noticed.  Around here no one takes checks and a few years ago when places still did take checks they could electronically verify funds during the transaction...so it's been years since I've seen a place with bad checks posted on the wall.

I don't see them much anymore outside of nail salons but I've seen enough that it made me wonder.

Velma

Quote from: "DJAkuma"In many places of business you'll see where the proprietor has put on the wall checks from customers that bounced as a reminder of who not to take a check from. One can probably assume that those customers not only wrote a bad check but never returned to make good on it.

Can't say I ever noticed that.  However, I have noticed that the more a business owner goes out of his way to let you know he's a christian, the more likely you are to get ripped off by that business.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Whitney

Quote from: "Velma"However, I have noticed that the more a business owner goes out of his way to let you know he's a christian, the more likely you are to get ripped off by that business.

That's why, even as a Christian, I wouldn't pay for services from places that had Jesus fish or crosses prominently displayed in their signage.  If you have to tell me you're a Christian in order to (try to) sound reputable that probably means you can't stand on your own merit.