News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Since when was the term "homosexual" offensive?

Started by Byronazriel, November 07, 2010, 03:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

Okay, the term faggot. I can see how that would be offensive, but homosexual? Not seeing it.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Byronazriel

Is this just another one of those social things that I'll never understand, no matter how much I try, like small talk, compliments, and flirting?
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Cite134

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Is this just another one of those social things that I'll never understand, no matter how much I try, like small talk, compliments, and flirting?

Part of the social components incorporated within socialization my friend. Learning about sociology as I type this sentence lol.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

McQ

Quote from: "Will"Homosexual is the equivalent to African-American. It started as a way to create a strictly clinical term for a way of being but it ended up sounding more like a diagnosis than a description. I refer to myself not as heterosexual, but straight. I'm pretty sure most straight people consider themselves straight. The opposite of straight isn't homosexual, it's gay.

One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual.

I would say the term "homosexual" is more analogous to the more scientific terms for the various races than anything, since homosexual was originally used in a purely biological sense to describe any animal, including humans, that have sex exclusively within its own gender. In that vein, the word "gay" is more analogous to African American. Actually, none of the terms that describe homosexuality are very good analogies for African American, unless you use terms like Gay-American, or such.  :)

I also would argue that not only is the term homosexual not archaic, but the most accurate word to describe any animal that has sex within its own gender.

I also don't think it is remotely inherently offensive. A word becomes offensive when used in the context of offensive speech.

Frankly, I don't think too much about this subject, but I'm not on the leading edge of this topic either. I use gay, lesbian, straight, bi, pan, and asexual, as well as homosexual, depending on the context, but never as slurs. I can't imagine how any of them are slurs.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Byronazriel

Scientific terms for race...  like Mongoloid, Negroid, and Caucasoid? I'm pretty sure that those terms are actually archiac.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

McQ

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Scientific terms for race...  like Mongoloid, Negroid, and Caucasoid? I'm pretty sure that those terms are actually archiac.

No, not what I am referring to, and those are not accepted as current terms. You are correct. I also was being too broad in my post and should have used the term ethnicity, rather than race. My error in my haste to post and dash off to other things.

I was simply trying to clarify what would be a more appropriate analogy, in my opinion. African American is a newer term, whereas homosexual has been around much longer. I was trying to equate it to older terms for ethnicity. Don't read into it anything that isn't there.

The whole point I wanted to make but apparently did not is that an accurate descriptor, such as homosexual, is not necessarily a slur.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

elliebean

Quote from: "McQ"A word becomes offensive when used in the context of offensive speech.
Exactly.

Quote...I'm not on the leading edge of this topic...
Thank you.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Will"Homosexual is the equivalent to African-American. It started as a way to create a strictly clinical term for a way of being but it ended up sounding more like a diagnosis than a description. I refer to myself not as heterosexual, but straight. I'm pretty sure most straight people consider themselves straight. The opposite of straight isn't homosexual, it's gay.

One is straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual.

I dislike the word straight and I do not use it to describe my heterosexual friends.  The reason is, that it is the opposite of bent, a pejorative term for people who are homosexual.  Straight is also used to refer to one who does not do drugs so, in my opinion, using straight to describe a heterosexual person implies something not good about its opposite, something equivalent to excessive alcohol and drug use or some other abnormality.

But then again, I'm not "straight" or heterosexual.  For the record I'm bisexual (yes, we are real and not just confused lesbians or hetero girls looking to arouse boys) and I'm not offended by being called bisexual or bi.  I think it is a correct scientific term.

The Magic Pudding

One of the funniest things I have heard was a conservative politician by the name of Duncan Gay.
He was explaining why gay was a totally inappropriate moniker for these homosexuals.
They're not gay they're... they're... they're... NOT GAY!
There was probably a record number of Duncan Gays at the Mardi Gras that year.

I have some sympathy for Byron's plight, I blame those who stretch every syllable to breaking, and imbue them with layers of derision.
I can't blame someone not wanting to be called a HOE MOE seckkksssuuuaal, (sorry I can't capture it in type).
Gay has the advantage of being chosen by gays, and it is shorter, less syllables to twist and load with hate.

Thumpalumpacus

I've typed it "homuhseckshuul" to capture that peculiar Alabama vibe.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I've typed it "homuhseckshuul" to capture that peculiar Alabama vibe.

Yes you do it better than me, can you do marry-jue-warna?

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

elliebean

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Is this just another one of those social things that I'll never understand, no matter how much I try, like small talk, compliments, and flirting?
It would seem so, but I wouldn't give up hope yet.

I didn't always understand those things either. I barely grasp some of them now.

Compliments, for example, make me uneasy, whether giving or receiving.

Unlike homosexuality.  :hide:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

lookitsaustin

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I have some sympathy for Byron's plight, I blame those who stretch every syllable to breaking, and imbue them with layers of derision.
I can't blame someone not wanting to be called a HOE MOE seckkksssuuuaal, (sorry I can't capture it in type).
Gay has the advantage of being chosen by gays, and it is shorter, less syllables to twist and load with hate.

2nd that! Though I couldn't care less if I were called either or as long as the person saying it isn't saying it in a derogatory way. I just call myself gay, I've never given it much thought honestly. In fact when I'm around my friends I could care less that they use the word fag around me because I know they are not hate filled, but I wouldn't let them start thinking that I am a "token gay" either. I am Austin, not "gay friend", I don't use my sexuality to define me as a person........... well anyway, I am kind of off on a tangent.... sorry.

Letra Runt

While it's true that the word itself is rather innocent, I can imagine why some people are offended by it. Blame things like all those headlines along the lines of like "Homosexuals threaten this or that part of America". It's been used like that so many times, even though I can think of two words that are a lot more offensive. It can be one word used to describe both lesbians, and gays in one word. Which can sometimes simplify things. It personally doesn't offend me, but after seeing so much anti-gay/anti-lesbian propaganda using the term "homosexual" so many times I can understand why a lot of people dislike that word.

QuoteI've typed it "homuhseckshuul" to capture that peculiar Alabama vibe.

My father told me about people who pronounce it like that, though I haven't heard it spoken yet by someone with a genuine accent.

QuoteI thought that was also called solosexual.

The technical term is autosexual I believe.