News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Challenge for Atheists

Started by FaithInGod, November 05, 2010, 03:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaithInGod

Is it possible for the God of the Bible to reveal things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?

Thumpalumpacus

Yes.

Assuming for the sake of argument that he exists, that is.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

FaithInGod

So you have just admitted that I have a path to knowledge. So then how can you, without God, know anything for certain?

lundberg500

QuoteIs it possible for the God of the Bible to reveal things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?
Let me get this right. You come to an atheist forum wanting to know if we believe that the God of the bible can reveal things to people?

Really?? What kind of answer are you expecting from atheists, like me, who don't even believe that this God exists?

FaithInGod

What I'm trying to ask is this:

If, for the sake of argument, the infinite God of the Bible exists, could He reveal things to the human race such that we could know them to be certain?

Persimmon Hamster

Quote from: "FaithInGod"So you have just admitted that I have a path to knowledge. So then how can you, without God, know anything for certain?
I don't see anybody saying a god would do that, just that maybe it could, if maybe it existed.  Why do you assume it will (thus also assuming you have some path to knowledge)?  And even if anybody had said that, and it were true, why do you then appear to be leaping to the conclusion that that would be the only path to knowledge?   :hmm:
[size=85]"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."[/size]
[size=75]-- Carl Sagan[/size]

[size=65]No hamsters were harmed in the making of my avatar.[/size]

FaithInGod

Quote from: "Persimmon Hamster"
Quote from: "FaithInGod"So you have just admitted that I have a path to knowledge. So then how can you, without God, know anything for certain?
I don't see anybody saying a god would do that, just that maybe it could, if maybe it existed.  Why do you assume it will (thus also assuming you have some path to knowledge)?  And even if anybody had said that, and it were true, why do you then appear to be leaping to the conclusion that that would be the only path to knowledge?   :hmm:

You have not explained to me how you know anything for certain. Please tell me anything you know for certain and how you know it to be certain.

Persimmon Hamster

Quote from: "FaithInGod"You have not explained to me how you know anything for certain. Please tell me anything you know for certain and how you know it to be certain.
Hah.  That's a funny reply, considering my original response was going to start off as follows:

Define "infinite God of the Bible", "reveal", "things", and "know"/"certain".

Notice I didn't answer your question myself yet.  I would await your definitions first.
[size=85]"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."[/size]
[size=75]-- Carl Sagan[/size]

[size=65]No hamsters were harmed in the making of my avatar.[/size]

FaithInGod

Quote from: "Persimmon Hamster"
Quote from: "FaithInGod"You have not explained to me how you know anything for certain. Please tell me anything you know for certain and how you know it to be certain.
Hah.  That's a funny reply, considering my original response was going to start off as follows:

Define "infinite God of the Bible", "reveal", "things", and "know"/"certain".

Notice I didn't answer your question myself yet.  I would await your definitions first.

The God of the Bible is all-knowing and all-powerful. Could this God, if He exists, reveal (show/tell/give) things (knowledge/info) to us in such a way that we could know (understand/believe) it for certain (100%)?

lundberg500

QuoteWhat I'm trying to ask is this: If, for the sake of argument, the infinite God of the Bible exists
And... you lost me right there. To atheists, the god of the bible does NOT exist. Therefore, your question doesn't even deserve an answer. As you say, "for the sake of argument".. Are you feeling a little contentious today?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "FaithInGod"The God of the Bible is all-knowing and all-powerful. Could this God, if He exists, reveal (show/tell/give) things (knowledge/info) to us in such a way that we could know (understand/believe) it for certain (100%)?
One would have to first believe God.  IOW, all this knowledge would have to come FROM God specifically to then believe IN God.  Yes?

I just confused myself.  haha.

FaithInGod

Quote from: "lundberg500"
QuoteWhat I'm trying to ask is this: If, for the sake of argument, the infinite God of the Bible exists
And... you lost me right there. To atheists, the god of the bible does NOT exist. Therefore, your question doesn't even deserve an answer. As you say, "for the sake of argument".. Are you feeling a little contentious today?

So would you say that it isn't possible?

How can you (and the rest of humanity) know anything for absolute certainty?

I used "for the sake of argument" because that is how the first atheist responded.

elliebean

Quote from: "FaithInGod"Is it possible for the God of the Bible to reveal things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?
No; the "God of the Bible" does not exist, therefore it is imposslible for it to reveal anything to anyone.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

FaithInGod

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "FaithInGod"Is it possible for the God of the Bible to reveal things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?
No; the "God of the Bible" does not exist, therefore it is imposslible for it to reveal anything to anyone.

So how can you (and the rest of humanity), without God, know anything for absolute certainty?

lundberg500

QuoteHow can you (and the rest of humanity) know anything for absolute certainty?
I go where the evidence (or lack of), common sense, logic, and reason lead me to.

I can tell you one thing for certain: there is NO evidence, NO logic, NO reason, and NO common sense to be found in the bible.