News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

One on One debate signup sheet/idea box

Started by Will, October 31, 2010, 06:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madness

If debates aren't real time (seems like they could just be a regular thread to me...), I'd love to debate some sciency stuff.  Can't think of topics off the top of my head....but I'll start thinking about it!

Will

The last one I had wasn't in real time. As long as it follows the agreed upon format and timescale, I have no problem with it. Just try not to forget about it right in the middle.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Sophus

Quote from: "Will"The last one I had wasn't in real time. As long as it follows the agreed upon format and timescale, I have no problem with it. Just try not to forget about it right in the middle.
Sounds good to me. Ready when penfold is.  :)

Any guidelines we should know about?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Will

You guys set the rules. The first debate was done in classical style which I found a tiny bit constraining but the regiment did help to keep us on topic. You're free to be as structured or free as you see fit, just make sure both sides have their say and you wrap it up before too long (the last debate I got into on another forum has been going on for months).

In the end, if you'd like, we can set up a poll to determine a winner based on popular vote or you can ask for a volunteer/volunteers to judge.

When you're ready, just let us know and we'll grant temporary permission to post in the one on one debate subforum.

And remember to have fun.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jduster

I'll debate on the following topics:
- George W. Bush was a good president.
- Barack Obama is not a good president.
- Wikipedia is trustworthy and reliable.
- There is no such thing as "the soul"
- Third trimester abortion should be forbidden
- Capitalism is superior to communism

Sophus

Quote from: "Will"You guys set the rules. The first debate was done in classical style which I found a tiny bit constraining but the regiment did help to keep us on topic. You're free to be as structured or free as you see fit, just make sure both sides have their say and you wrap it up before too long (the last debate I got into on another forum has been going on for months).

In the end, if you'd like, we can set up a poll to determine a winner based on popular vote or you can ask for a volunteer/volunteers to judge.

When you're ready, just let us know and we'll grant temporary permission to post in the one on one debate subforum.

And remember to have fun.

Ready to fire away. Since penfold is supporting the claim religion can be a tool for good I think it'd be most reasonable for him to kick it off whenever ready.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Will

Okay. I'll fart my way though phpBB for a moment and see if I can change permissions.

Edit: Okay, I have no idea how to do that. I'll ask Whitney!  :headbang:

Byronazriel

Quote from: "jduster"I'll debate on the following topics:
- George W. Bush was a good president.
- Barack Obama is not a good president.
- Wikipedia is trustworthy and reliable.
- There is no such thing as "the soul"
- Third trimester abortion should be forbidden
- Capitalism is superior to communism

I'll play ball with you. I'm especially interested in the Bush presidency, soul existence, and the capitalism vs communism debates.

I pretty much have nothing to do for the foreseeable future.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Sophus

Quote from: "Will"Okay. I'll fart my way though phpBB for a moment and see if I can change permissions.

Edit: Okay, I have no idea how to do that. I'll ask Whitney!  :headbang:
Well, I would start but I'm not the one defending a claim.  :blush:

The Black Jester

If anyone is interested in debating Philosophy of Mind with me, specifically in contesting the premise that the mind is a physical system, I would be happy to engage.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Rizuidad

I'm calling dibs on: The Agricultural Revolution was beneficial for humanity.

I am taking the affirmative. If you want to challenge, PM me, and I'll set up the first post in the one on one forum, or get a mod to do it if I can't. We'll settle the details of the format of the debate in PM as well.

I love this.  ;D

unholy1971

Tank

Quote from: unholy1971 on December 18, 2011, 06:41:25 PM
Great idea, I'm in.
Well you have to find a subject and an interlocutor (who must agree to the debate).
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.