News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

One on One debate signup sheet/idea box

Started by Will, October 31, 2010, 06:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Are you interested in having a debate in the One on One Debate subforum? Do you have an interesting idea for a debate? Do you wish to submit an open challenge?

This thread is the sort of waiting room outside of the debate chambers. Sign up, submit ideas for topic, or otherwise discuss all things One on One debate.

May the most logically sound and best presented argument win!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jduster

Sophus

Sounds like fun. But I don't have any ideas at the moment.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

jduster

I'm curious: can the debate topics be outside of philosophy and theology (such as history, technology, or politics)?

Will

I don't see why not. I'd actually like the debate topics to be varied just because it can be challenging to argue something you've never thought about before.

Here are a few ideas to get the ball rolling (I'll post the affirmative argument):

Crocs: only acceptable for old ladies gardening or toddlers at the beach.

Economics, as it's practiced, is a science.

The agricultural revolution was ultimately beneficial to our species.

Homophobia is a symptom of homosexual feelings.

The 2000 election was stolen.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tom62

Quote from: "Will"Crocs: only acceptable for old ladies gardening or toddlers at the beach.
Shit, I love my Crocs  :( .
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sophus

I have an idea: Was it right for Stephen Colbert to use satire when testifying before Congress? Should satire be considered a respectable form of argument on its own?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

karadan

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "Will"Crocs: only acceptable for old ladies gardening or toddlers at the beach.
Shit, I love my Crocs  :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tom62

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "Tom62"
Shit, I love my Crocs  :D
I wear them at home as house shoes. They are so damned comfortable. If that makes me a god damn hippy then so be it.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

penfold

This house believes that...

...materialism is a sufficient explanation for what it is like to exist.

...we should actively seek the end of religion.

...the idea of God is necessarily incoherent.

...religion can be a powerful force for good.

...there are legitimate questions that science cannot answer.

Sophus

Quote from: "penfold"...religion can be a powerful force for good.

I would eagerly debate that.  :)

LegendarySandwich

I'd love to have chat debates with people and then paste the entire thing into a post. I'm more for the serious, classic topics, such as morality and the like, but I guess I'm open to anything I have an inkling of knowledge in.

penfold

Quote from: "Sophus"

Well I'm up for it if you are (I take it you want to oppose the motion - which is fine by me). We'd need to sort out some time though. Am pretty busy during the weeks at the moment. A weekend perhaps?

anyhow let me know.

Sophus

Quote from: "penfold"
Quote from: "Sophus"

penfold

Well if they need to be in real time I can't do next weekend either.

However we could just spread it out, if you're cool waiting a couple of days for responses so am I.