News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Any Engineers Here?

Started by Godless, September 22, 2010, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godless

Is anyone here an engineer? More specifically, is anyone a computer or electrical engineer? As of now, I'm majoring in computer engineering but I've been considering switching to electrical engineering, because C++ is just a struggle for me and it doesn't really seem like I enjoy programming as much as I thought I did. At this point, it's computer engineering vs. electrical engineering, which means programming vs. circuits.

Tank

I started out as an draughtsman, then electronics engineer and now I do computers. If you like abstract stick with computing, if you like practical stick with electronics. The market has lots of computer engineers but less electrical/electronics engineers. If you like electrics/electronics and are good at it go with it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Mechatronics with the ambitions of Systems Engineering here.

In a lot of electroengineering, you will have to do some programming since micro controllers, which are EVERYWHERE, won't do squat by themselves :-P

I can give you a nice piece of advise that works for me though: learning programming languages is like learning foreign languages. The more you use it, the faster you get better and the better you get.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

KDbeads

Degreed Ceramic Engineer, but landed in specialty packaging engineering/design
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tom62

I'm a software engineer and I love coding.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: "Tom62"I'm a software engineer and I love coding.
somebody has to do it
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Godless

Quote from: "Tank"
somebody has to do it

Obviously not me though lol

Tank

Quote from: "Godless"
somebody has to do it

Obviously not me though lol
Well that is entirely up to you. Are you nearer making your choice?

Godless

Quote from: "Tank"Well that is entirely up to you. Are you nearer making your choice?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch to electrical engineering.

Tank

Quote from: "Tank"Well that is entirely up to you. Are you nearer making your choice?

There is a saying 'Do what you like and you'll never work a day in your life.'  :D

Asmodean

Any particular branch?  :bananacolor:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

somebody has to do it
Well, I could outsource it to some crappy firm in India  ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Godless

Quote from: "Asmodean"

Any particular branch?  :bananacolor:

Dunno yet, but that's another benefit that I find about electrical engineering, the pool of jobs seems much larger than computer engineering since EE can be used for a lot of things.

Whitney

With electrical engineering you could work for a MEP firm and then I could call an complain at you when you send me the wrong lighting diagram.  ;)

Prometheus

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

I used this government site to choose which field to go into. I chose Civil Engineering because it is currently the largest field and had decent projected growth. I like the field itself and I want a career which will give me a choice as to where i live(My gf is hoping to be a doctor so i may have to go where her best opportunities lead.). It looked to me like some of the other fields i liked were too popular or there were too few jobs out there to ensure that I wouldn't have to move to teh job as opposed to getting one where i want to go.

Hate programming too. I failed the class and jumped schools and majors to avoid taking it wtf this stuff is supposed to mean its actually pretty easy. I'd just plan to stay ahead on everything. i get behind a lot because I procrastinate and by the time i figure out i need help its the day before the exam lol. I usaully stay up till daylight studying and still manage to make a b.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC