Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Proposition 19

Started by Ultima22689, September 28, 2010, 02:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Ultima22689"The pro legalization isn't just in California, he stands to lose a massive part of the youth vote across the country which was also instrumental in getting him elected.

Insofar as potheads vote, you have a point.  But I don't see that they've flocked to the polls, at least not around here.

I think you underestimate how many youths smoke weed or don't have a problem with it, they may not look like pot heads but many of them are and then another portion of them think it's ok. During 2008 elections young people voted in droves, youth votes aren't to be underestimated, the problem is getting them to be enthusiastic about voting, a good way to do that is to come out pro pot. I think that may be the only possible way Palin can get elected as she has stated multiple times she's pro pot.

You're right that coming out pro-pot can pull the youth vote.  The question is do you alienate more older voters, who typically vote in greater proportions?  That's a calculation that can quickly go awry.  The youth already are fed up with Obama; he cannot deliver fast enough to sate their impatience.  

But if he tries to placate them on this issue, he risks alienating older voters.  He may well fall between two stools if he pursues this strategy.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"you're right that coming out pro-pot can pull the youth vote.  The question is do you alienate more older voters, who typically vote in greater proportions?  That's a calculation that can quickly go awry.  The youth already are fed up with Obama; he cannot deliver fast enough to sate their impatience.  

But if he tries to placate them on this issue, he risks alienating older voters.  He may well fall between two stools if he pursues this strategy.

I think some of the older folks would no doubt feel alienated but only a portion of them, Each generation, more younger people are voting, alot of the folks who were in their 60s and 70s are replaced by folks in their 50s and 40s, the baby  boomer generation is getting up there and adult isn't quite what it was a few years ago. There is a reason the trend shows the population growing in favor of pot. By the time Obama would care to come out pro pot it may be the most intelligent move if the trend continues. If Obama is going to survive as a president he will realize this, stop pissing off youth and kicking the left when it's down due to his actions.

notself

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"you're right that coming out pro-pot can pull the youth vote.  The question is do you alienate more older voters, who typically vote in greater proportions?  That's a calculation that can quickly go awry.  The youth already are fed up with Obama; he cannot deliver fast enough to sate their impatience.  

I think some of the older folks would no doubt feel alienated but only a portion of them, Each generation, more younger people are voting, alot of the folks who were in their 60s and 70s are replaced by folks in their 50s and 40s, the baby  boomer generation is getting up there and adult isn't quite what it was a few years ago. There is a reason the trend shows the population growing in favor of pot. By the time Obama would care to come out pro pot it may be the most intelligent move if the trend continues. If Obama is going to survive as a president he will realize this, stop pissing off youth and kicking the left when it's down due to his actions.

Old folks smoked pot when they were young and many still do.  Several of my friends smoke pot regularly.  It is only those who want to rule this country through religion that will vote against pot.  Of course the fundamentalists are more likely to actually vote than stoners are.   ;)

DropLogic

My dad is a boomer, and we smoke together.
He is also a staunch Protestant Christian.
Makes for interesting conversations. :)

Thumpalumpacus

I'm aware that there are old folk who smoke out.  I don't think they are near a majority of pot-smokers, nor do I think they number more than anti-pot folk in their age group.

The essence of my point is that apathetic people aren't likely to vote.

I also think that the youth turnout won't happen as dramatically for Obama in '12 anyway, because he's having to move slower than they care to see.

I hope I'm wrong, but obviously I don't think I am.

notself

They may well sit this one out.  Obama ran on change but he retained the Bush financial advisers who tanked the economy and gave the bail out funds to friends.  Obama ignored the Clinton financial advisers who helped bring prosperity to this country.  The unemployment rate for those under 25 is about 20%.  The underemployment of college graduates is about 50%.  It always was and always will be about the economy.

Tanker

I'm a member of a forum that while not political (or religious) very much leans to the right. Mostly consevatives and republicans, many very religious ect. I omit most of my more liberal leaning (I don't wish to have arguements for somthing I didn't join to discuss). On this forum there was a rather large topic on MJ its uses and it's legality, although personal stories and encouragement to use are strictly forbidden as they are against forum rules about speaking of or promoting ileagal activity. I was increadably surprised to see that the VAST majority of posters on this thread were very pro legalisation. I was frankly shocked to see such support in such a right heavy community. I think the majority of U.S. citizens are ready for or even seeking this change.

People in thier 20s and teens often see people thier parents age as old fogies and against everything fun. Forgeting that everybody was young once and that many of the more mature in the world grew up in the 60s and 70s. Sterotypes aside that era was a time of expirmentation and saw the first widespread acceptance and use of Weed.

Oh and Im for legalisation.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Tanker"I think the majority of U.S. citizens are ready for or even seeking this change.

I'd like to think you're right, but here in California, one of the more liberal states in the Union, legalization is carrying only about half of the electorate.

pinkocommie

I bet we'd get it passed in Washington.  Also, both of my parents smoked pot and my mom still does, but you neeeeever suspect it.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Tanker"I think the majority of U.S. citizens are ready for or even seeking this change.

I'd like to think you're right, but here in California, one of the more liberal states in the Union, legalization is carrying only about half of the electorate.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/201 ... _californi

Looks like things are going in favor of it passing.

Sophus

How many people will really turn up to vote against it though? I bet it passes just because it will draw a lot of votes from the youth (and pot smokers). For some reason I can't picture too many anti-marijuana soccer moms actually going through the trouble of voting on this.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Ultima22689

I agree, people have been assuming in a lot of discussions about this that for some odd reason, every single opposition is going to vote when odds are that won't be the case at all and the youth are in fact very energized right now, in California anyway, the rest of the country, we might as well be dead.

DropLogic

Cannabis is vilified for no reason other than in the past it meant jailtime.  If that stigma was removed...I bet it wouldn't be such a closet case.  Caffeine is worse for you lol...

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Ultima22689"http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2010/sep/30/prop_19_52_latest_poll_californi

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'd like to think you're right, but here in California, one of the more liberal states in the Union, legalization is carrying only about half of the electorate.

Also, defeat is within the margin of error on that poll.  52% is not solid support.

I'm not saying it won't pass.  I just think it's complacent to assume it will simply because about half the electorate support it.  The numbers in that poll aren't very different from the numbers against Prop 8 at this stage of the 08 campaign, and we all know how that worked out.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Ultima22689"http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2010/sep/30/prop_19_52_latest_poll_californi

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'd like to think you're right, but here in California, one of the more liberal states in the Union, legalization is carrying only about half of the electorate.

Also, defeat is within the margin of error on that poll.  52% is not solid support.

I'm not saying it won't pass.  I just think it's complacent to assume it will simply because about half the electorate support it.  The numbers in that poll aren't very different from the numbers against Prop 8 at this stage of the 08 campaign, and we all know how that worked out.
Yes, but the cannabis issue does not have racial/religious proclivities the way the gay marriage issue did.