News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Animals And Tools.

Started by tymygy, September 17, 2010, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tymygy

QuoteTool use is so rare in the animal kingdom that it was once believed to be a uniquely human trait. While it is now known that some non-human animal species can use tools for foraging, the rarity of this behaviour remains a puzzle. It is generally assumed that tool use played a key role in human evolution, so understanding this behaviour's ecological context, and its evolutionary roots, is of major scientific interest. A project led by researchers from the Universities of Oxford and Exeter examined the ecological significance of tool use in New Caledonian crows, a species renowned for its sophisticated tool-use behaviour.

I always found these kind of things intriguing, animals are smarter than we give them credit for.

Other animals that use tools involve;

Chimpanzees are capable of making spears to hunt other primates for meat.

Orangutans have developed a way to make improvised whistles from bundles of leaves.

Dolphins carry marine sponges in their mouths to stir the ocean bottom sand and uncover prey.

Gorillas are known to use branches as walking sticks to test water depth and trunks from shrubs as makeshift bridges to cross deep patches of swamp.

Octopus that uses coconut shells as portable armor which is one of the latest addition to a growing list of tool users in the animal kingdom.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100916145057.htm

:D
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

maninorange

wow!  this is very cool.  I like science daily :)  it's well worth my time.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

Recusant

[youtube:2mss7iil]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijuwTeoBt8[/youtube:2mss7iil]

[youtube:2mss7iil]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjo26O0z_o[/youtube:2mss7iil]

When | was a boy I had a pet crow, and can attest to their amazing intelligence.  Even those who shoot crows for sport generally grudgingly admit that they are very clever birds.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Roganthis72

Personally, I'm deathly afraid that the Planet of the Apes wasn't that far off.  I meen, if the chimps have spears then how long will it be until they get bows and arrows?  Its all just pointed stick technology people.  Soon they will rule the world!
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

pinkocommie

"He's got a board with a nail in it!"
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

PoopShoot

Oh fuck.  Don't get Rogan started on his pointy stick theory.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Roganthis72

ALL OF MODERN WEAPONRY CAN BE BOILED DOWN TO A POINTED STICK!!

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!

tymygy

Quote from: "Roganthis72"ALL OF MODERN WEAPONRY CAN BE BOILED DOWN TO A POINTED STICK!!

Actually the oldest arrow tips and spear tips were made of sharpened obsidion.

Correct me if I'm wrong!!  :/
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Roganthis72

Quote from: "tymygy"
Quote from: "Roganthis72"ALL OF MODERN WEAPONRY CAN BE BOILED DOWN TO A POINTED STICK!!

Correct me if I'm wrong!!  :crazy:

tymygy

Quote from: "Roganthis72"
Quote from: "tymygy"

Correct me if I'm wrong!!  :crazy:

:yay:

HAHA who is this guy? I've never seen him post anything before. are you knew to HAF?

Roganthis72

Indeed I am new here.  I come bearing snow and ice from the farthest reaches of the Mackenzie Highway!  Actually thats a lie, it keeps going for quite a ways past here, but still, FEAR THE ALMIGHTY CHIMPS!  MASTER OF POINTED STICK TECHNOLOGY!

PoopShoot

HOORAY FOR POINTY STICKS!!!!!!
 :yay:  :yay:  :yay:
All hail Cancer Jesus!

tymygy

Quote from: "Roganthis72"Indeed I am new here.  I come bearing snow and ice from the farthest reaches of the Mackenzie Highway!  Actually thats a lie, it keeps going for quite a ways past here, but still, FEAR THE ALMIGHTY CHIMPS!  MASTER OF POINTED STICK TECHNOLOGY!

LMAO xD

Good, you bring humor here, I could use a good laugh every day.  :P