News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Expanded Yeast's Sugary Diet to Include Plant Fiber

Started by Tank, September 10, 2010, 07:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Researchers Expand Yeast's Sugary Diet to Include Plant Fiber

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 9, 2010) â€" University of California, Berkeley, researchers have taken genes from grass-eating fungi and stuffed them into yeast, creating strains that produce alcohol from tough plant material -- cellulose -- that normal yeast can't digest.

Potentially huge impact on biofuel production and imagine all the grass cuttings et al from gardens and parks now becoming a valuable product!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!

joeactor

Quote from: "Tank"Potentially huge impact on biofuel production and imagine all the grass cuttings et al from gardens and parks now becoming a valuable product!

... I like the idea, but what if it gets out into the wild?

Watch the news for the term "Yeast Blight"!

(What Has Science Done!)
JoeActor

Tank

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "Tank"Potentially huge impact on biofuel production and imagine all the grass cuttings et al from gardens and parks now becoming a valuable product!

... I like the idea, but what if it gets out into the wild?

Watch the news for the term "Yeast Blight"!

(What Has Science Done!)
JoeActor
You know, that is the very first thought that crossed my mind. In particular silage where grass is fermented to create additional sugars. If this yeast gets into that process we are going to see cattle staggering around as pissed as farts!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PoopShoot

The funny thing is, there need not be any bioengineered yeast.  Methanol can't be drank but is identical to ethanol for engineering purposes and is made by burning cellulose in a vacuum.  We're ALREADY ready to produce methanol from aggro waste.
All hail Cancer Jesus!