News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

I'm Charlie; I'm newly atheist. (Oh my Go...odness!)

Started by smallfry, August 30, 2010, 08:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallfry

Hello.  

I currently live in northeast Tennessee.  I've only called myself atheist for a week or two.  I've been agnostic for years.  I'll give a short bio, with hopefully a longer one to come later if people give a sh*t.  lol.  
I'm not going to push her, but maybe gently nudge her sometimes.  Today she told me she didn't apreciate me sneaking "No Gods, No Guilt" onto her iphone.  I told her that I put it on there in case she ever decided to listen.  Just like I downloaded and listened to that "shack" garbage for her.  lol.

Anyhow, I'm not fully awake as I write this, so I'm sorry if it didn't make as much sense here as it did in my head.  I did want to say, hello, as I have no one to talk to about this.

Every day I'm taking notes as I drive (Truck) trying to remember where my journey of doubt started.  This is what I want to write more about, even though It might only be interesting to me.

Thanks for reading.
Charlie
Opie and Anthony make my weekdays: http://www.sirius.com/thevirus

Tank

Hello Charlie

Your story is unique but far from rare. There are lots of atheists who have followed a path similar to yourself, coming to their revised world view later in life. Glad you found your way here and joined in.

Regards
Chris

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How to discuss efficiently and effectively Before entering  into a serious discussion I implore you to read the first post of this thread.
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Hello and welcome!

If you manage to avoid most of the pitfalls of "residual faith", I think you'll be happier with yourself as an atheist. It's the most honest world view I know of.  :bananacolor:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

philosoraptor

Hello and welcome, Charlie.  I hope you find this place enlightening, as a newly minted atheist.  :D
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

The Magic Pudding

Welcome to the HAF pond smallfry

Quote from: "Tank"Your story is unique but far from rare.

You should check this, we don't want smallfry a thunken wees illiterut

Tank

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Welcome to the HAF pond smallfry

Quote from: "Tank"Your story is unique but far from rare.

You should check this, we don't want smallfry a thunken wees illiterut

No. I'll stick with that, but it needs clarification. Everybody's life is unique, but the basic form of the 'coming to atheism late in life' is quite common. So the detail will make the story unique but I've read similar stories many times. That differentiation didn't come over in my original statement  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Parsifal

Hi Charlie,  welcome to the world of enlightenment.  It is not always going to be easy and you will still encounter many people who want to bible bash you.  Carry on reading, you will be surprised at how ridiculous the world of religion starts to look the further you move away from it, and how easy it is to turn around (without turning into a pillar of salt) and wonder why, if religion's case was so water tight, does it need constant reinforcement.
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cecilie

Hello Charlie. I'm sure you'll like it here. Glad to have you. :-)
The world's what you create.

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Bob T

Bob T.
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling

skwurll

Enjoy being a godless heathen with us! :P
(Those are my grandmother's words, not mine)

I'm sure you'll love it here!