News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Can An Atheist/Evolutionist Be An Environmentalist?

Started by buzzripper, August 03, 2010, 03:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

All i got from that copy/paste was that as a theist, Buzzripper doesn't give a shit about the beauty of this planet because he's going to heaven after he dies. Because of this, he'll continue to defile the natural beauty around us with aplomb until his ticket with god comes up.

Somehow i doubt you actually want to read any responses to your post.

Prove me wrong, please.

Otherwise, you're just another brainwashed evangelist.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Laser Sailor

QuoteBecause as I type this the red squiggly under thrivelyhood, buzzripper and chritian

Not everyone is smart enough to use firefox, IE doesn't auto spell check.
When I was little, I prayed to God for a new bike.
But then I learned that God doesn't work that way.
So I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.

hackenslash

Hi, guys. It's not all bad. I like to find new havens of critical thought on the net and, due to this spammer's post at Rational Skepticism, I found this one. He has actually posted a response at our place but, given the content, it doesn't look like he actually read any of the responses before doing so. He did say he was posting on his lunch break, so maybe he's not just being a hit-and-run spammer.

Anyhoo, nice place you have here. Mind if I stick around a bit? You are welcome to mosey on over to our house any time you like, and there will always be a chair for you. Just tell them 'the other sweary one sent me' and you'll be looked after.

Cheers,

hack

Edit: I thought I should add, after scanning the forum rules, if anybody does visit us at ratskep, be prepared for robust language. I note that expletives are not allowed here. At our place, expletives are allowed, and the line for civility is drawn at the comments being aimed at the post, not the poster. Just a heads-up for anybody who wishes to wander over and say hello.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Tank

Quote from: "hackenslash"Hi, guys. It's not all bad. I like to find new havens of critical thought on the net and, due to this spammer's post at Rational Skepticism, I found this one. He has actually posted a response at our place but, given the content, it doesn't look like he actually read any of the responses before doing so. He did say he was posting on his lunch break, so maybe he's not just being a hit-and-run spammer.

Anyhoo, nice place you have here. Mind if I stick around a bit? You are welcome to mosey on over to our house any time you like, and there will always be a chair for you. Just tell them 'the other sweary one sent me' and you'll be looked after.

Cheers,

hack

Oh fuck! Who let you in!!!  :D

Welcome aboard!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hackenslash

Well I never. Wot a small internet it truly fucking is!
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Tank

Quote from: "hackenslash"Well I never. Wot a small internet it truly fucking is!
Delighted to see you here. You'll have to mind your Ps & Qs here though none of your creative invective  :yay:  :yay:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hackenslash

Perfectly fine, my dear fellow. As you are aware, my speeloing is impeccable. :D

Incidentally, did I tell you I went moth-trapping with Cali and DarwinsBulldog?

Tank

Quote from: "hackenslash"Perfectly fine, my dear fellow. As you are aware, my speeloing is impeccable. :D

Incidentally, did I tell you I went moth-trapping with Cali and DarwinsBulldog?
No! Was DW in the UK? Please don't tell me he was and I didn't get to meet him!!!

hackenslash

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "hackenslash"Perfectly fine, my dear fellow. As you are aware, my speeloing is impeccable. :secret:

It was a bit of a whistle-stop, and I only saw him because he was calling up to see Cali, so I went across to Scouseland so meet them both, and we went out with Cali's entomology society.

Tank

Quote from: "hackenslash"
Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "hackenslash"Perfectly fine, my dear fellow. As you are aware, my speeloing is impeccable. :secret:

It was a bit of a whistle-stop, and I only saw him because he was calling up to see Cali, so I went across to Scouseland so meet them both, and we went out with Cali's entomology society.
FUCK with a capital FUCK  :verysad:  Oh well, it's my fault we sort of lost touch when RDF imploded.

Whitney

Quote from: "Tank"Buzzripper.

You have made this exact same post in three places now, here, Rational Skeptics and a blog. You have started your membership with a copy pasta. I will answer your post in detail if you explain why you are interested in an answer other than the one you provide yourself in your own post. I'm not going to waste my time answering your post until I understand your intent and also see evidence that you're not simply a 'drive by' Christian spammer.

Regards
Chris

:pop:

buzzripper

Geez, this is a tough crowd....

First of all, yes I did post in multiple places, probably 3 or 4. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with that, I just figured I'd get more responses if I put it in several spots, just did a :)

Here's what I responded with at Rational Skepticism this afternoon:

"Wow, well thanks for all the replies, I really am interested in discussing all this, not just lobbing a grenade. Unfortunately I'm on my lunch hour and don't have time for a detailed response, except to say:

I probably should have framed my question a little differently, because evolution wasn't really the point of my question (as I say halfway through). I happen to be a Christian but also an evolutionist, i.e. not a literalist. I just thought environmentalism would be a good vehicle to ask a question about value judgements, becuase of course most atheists are probably also envrironmentalists. The point was how does an atheist make value judgements? Or rather, what does he base his judgements on? It's really more of a philosophical question I guess, really. I'm fascinated by this question: if everyone's morals/ethics are universally, intrinisically personal, then you have no right to judge me, on anything. You have the 'right', I suppose, to stop me from doing something that clashes with your values (like clearing a rain forest). But by definition you have no right to judge, no right to say what you're doing is 'better' than mine. There is no 'better', it's just mine colliding with yours. It's fascinating to me because one casual breeze through these responses and it's so obvious that all these contentious statements that are filled with indignation and disdain come from: value judgements. At least that's what it looks like to me. But that's why I started the conversation, to see what you thought about that.

I'm sure noone will believe me but I'm really not a snide Christian looking for an 'aha' to "get you atheists"! I'm really not, I'm really interested in a civil discussion about it. It's a logical question about ethics/values that is probably addressed in many philosphy books. But it's more fun on a forum. "

Squid

I think you may be incorrectly assuming that atheism equates to subjective relativism whereas I'm sure most would agree that it does not necessarily differ drastically from person to person but may differ somewhat from culture to culture or region to region.  Evolution would be relevant as it can explain the moral taboos we see across cultures and regions such as murder and theft.  I would wager that many people tend to take a more utilitarian-type or even pseudo-Kantian stance when it comes to judging the value of something.

Whitney

Quote from: "buzzripper"First of all, yes I did post in multiple places, probably 3 or 4. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with that

There isn't anything wrong with it...unless you neglect to reply thoughtfully in all places using new thoughts instead of cut and paste.  How would you like it if someone ran up to you in a room shouted a rather jumbled question your way, ran off shouting the question at a few other people then came back and wondered why you were not receptive to their question?  Seriously, if you're going to cut and paste at least proof read it so that is easy to read and gets your questions across clearly.

I'd appreciate if you'd let us know if you plan to participate here because if you aren't I'll go ahead and lock the thread so that people won't waste their time responding to no one.

buzzripper

Hi Whitney,

Yeah I guess go ahead and lock the thread, I guess it's not realistic that I'll be able to keep up with all the threads, and I don't want to cause anyone to waste their time either.

Thanks,
buzz