News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Scientists possibly located the "Gay Gene"

Started by none123, July 25, 2010, 01:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

none123

I found this article, surprising on Fox News:  http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/07/15/have-scientists-found-gay-gene/

Quote...A group of Korean geneticists has altered the sexual preferences of female mice by removing a single gene linked to reproductive behavior. Without the gene, the mice gravitated toward mice of the same sex. Those mice who retained the gene, called FucM, were attracted to male mice. (FucM is short for fucose mutarotase.)

The geneticists' study, published last week in the journal BMC Genetics explains that female mice without FucM avoided male mice, declined to sniff male urine, and made passes at other females.

Lead author Chankyu Park, of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea, says this shows the absence of FucM tricks female mouse brains into functioning like male brains. "The mutant female mouse underwent a slightly altered developmental program in the brain to resemble the male brain in terms of sexual preference," he told the London Telegraph.

Park said he now wants to research whether this finding has any relevance for humans...

I hope studies like this that show it is genetic, will get religious nuts to quit saying homosexuality is a choice, you aren't born with it, and that it is sinning.

Tanker

Quote from: "none123"I found this article, surprising on Fox News:
I got that far and stopped if Fox News is reporting it I'm not listening untill the scientific community starts reporting it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

none123

I don't blame you, they are terrible, it is the only newspage we have access to on work computers.  I followed it to it's source though:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-07/has-gay-gene-been-found-female-mice

Squid

The provisional article is available from BMC Genetics (an open source, peer-reviewed online journal):

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2156/11/62

KebertX

Religion fights science, it doesn't incorporate it. Do you realize how hard they were fighting in Galileo's day just to keep people believing that Earth was the center of the Universe? That is an attitude that has never changed.  They show the same militant attitude with refuting Evolution. I highly doubt they would give up on all the bits of the bible that condemn homosexuality just because of irrefutable evidence that it's genetic (i.e. God's own damn fault).

I've been hearing about the individual discoveries of the gay gene for years. It always gets buried.  I'm in fact more interested that this is coming from FOX News: It means even the right wing nut-jobs are finding the evidence irrefutable!
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Whitney

Quote from: "none123"I hope studies like this that show it is genetic, will get religious nuts to quit saying homosexuality is a choice, you aren't born with it, and that it is sinning.

Almost every human is born with a genetic urge to have sex after reaching puberty yet many Christians still try to claim that choosing to acknowledge out sexuality is a sin.

Tank

The Gay Gene is called 'FucM' and this is not an April 1st Joke!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Squid

Quote from: "Tank"The Gay Gene is called 'FucM' and this is not an April 1st Joke!

Yep and fucose unknown is abbreviated "FucU" - no joke.

Tank

Quote from: "Squid"
Quote from: "Tank"The Gay Gene is called 'FucM' and this is not an April 1st Joke!

Would you credit it, scientists with a sense of humour.  :eek:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Byronazriel

I hope this doesn't lead to parents aborting their kids, and various "cures"...

I see nothing wrong with homosexuality, as a matter of fact from my point of view it is hardly any different than heterosexuality.

I am asexual, sex in general makes me uncomfortable... But I firmly believe that people should be able to love, and be attacted to whomever they want. That's their business. And as long as any machinitions that arise are between consenting adults then they're well within their rights.

If I ever have kids, I wouldn't care what their sexuality was as long as they acted on those desires safely and concentually.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

MilkyWay

Quote from: "Byronazriel"I hope this doesn't lead to parents aborting their kids, and various "cures"...

I see nothing wrong with homosexuality, as a matter of fact from my point of view it is hardly any different than heterosexuality.

I am asexual, sex in general makes me uncomfortable... But I firmly believe that people should be able to love, and be attacted to whomever they want. That's their business. And as long as any machinitions that arise are between consenting adults then they're well within their rights.

If I ever have kids, I wouldn't care what their sexuality was as long as they acted on those desires safely and concentually.

I agree with you Byron.
 :)

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

wildfire_emissary

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

karadan

Quote from: "Squid"

roflol
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

dloubet

I wonder what would happen if stem-cell research could pave the way for a gay cure.

Paradox!

Ugh. Even barely thinking like a religionist for only a moment makes me want to wash my brain.