News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Where did "god" come from?

Started by none123, July 03, 2010, 06:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

none123

If you use god to explain where we came from, that we were created by him, that doesn't answer anything because you then have to explain where god came from.  How did he get created. Cause otherwise it still doesn't answer the question how we got there without knowing how the creator got created.  And I know there are religions that beleive that god was once like us and had his own god, where did that one come from, and so on back till there was no one? And if you are in a religion that believes he has always been alive, that is just stupid. Are you telling me that when god tries to remember back to when he was young, he can't do it. and thinking back on memories there is an infinite number, no beginning. Very dumb.

Thumpalumpacus

He's from the south side of Philly, and will kick your ass if you make fun of his name.  

Oh, wait, that's Claude, not God.  Never mind.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cite134

That's the problem with theists. They try to attacth all of these 'ultimate' attributes to god to the point where he MUST exist. However, logic won't allow that. This is where contradictions arise. Plus, how in the hell would any human being KNOW that there is a deity whose existence is supported by infinity? -__-. It's all faith. People believe because they want to believe, regardless of evidence given or lack thereof.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

TheJackel

Quote from: "Cite134"That's the problem with theists. They try to attacth all of these 'ultimate' attributes to god to the point where he MUST exist. However, logic won't allow that. This is where contradictions arise. Plus, how in the hell would any human being KNOW that there is a deity whose existence is supported by infinity? -__-. It's all faith. People believe because they want to believe, regardless of evidence given or lack thereof.

The simple answer is that no mind can create complexity or existence because itself requires them both in order to exist at all.. Creationism is laughable. The Best logical answer you can have is that the answer must solve infinite regress and represent a universal set of all sets.. And this answer must be impossible to not exist. Well, so far there is only one answer that can sufficiently be validated to solve infinite regress, and be a set of all sets! So what is it you say?, Well, it's ENERGY!!!  Energy = all matter, information, and spatial dimension.. It's literally not possible to have a -1 spatial space/capacity, or -1 energy.. Thus the riddle is solved, and the rest is just semantics of how exactly it all works from zero base energy and up..

Cheers!

Tank

God was the creation of human frailty and fear, in particular the fear of the perceived but not understood and unconscious ramblings of the mind. At the dawn of human awareness came the moment of knowledge without understanding. Humans have evolved into cause and affect machines, we see cause we infer affect, we see affect and we infer cause. It's the way we evolved as the ability to second guess our prey and/or predictors is a huge evolutionary advantage. But with this ability came the cost of cognitive dissonance when a cause is seen or an affect is observed we are evolved to balance the equation. And every night unconsciousness came, not in a comfortable bed in a secure home, but surrounded by predators out in the open. But there were dreams and nightmare, the unexplained visions, and affect of what? What caused the visions seen at night that were good or bad, heaven or hell. So our ancestors had knowledge, they could see the Sun rise, they had affect but no cause, they did not understand why, a psychologically intolerable situation. They knew their dreams, visions of beauty and fear, an affect with no cause. So they balanced the equation with superstition and called it God. God is the filler in the cracks in our evolved mind.

Just my $0.02
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheJackel

Basically God was a brain Fart  :hey: [/b] [/size]

i_am_i

Quote from: "Tank"God was the creation of human frailty and fear, in particular the fear of the perceived but not understood and unconscious ramblings of the mind. At the dawn of human awareness came the moment of knowledge without understanding. Humans have evolved into cause and affect machines, we see cause we infer affect, we see affect and we infer cause. It's the way we evolved as the ability to second guess our prey and/or predictors is a huge evolutionary advantage. But with this ability came the cost of cognitive dissonance when a cause is seen or an affect is observed we are evolved to balance the equation. And every night unconsciousness came, not in a comfortable bed in a secure home, but surrounded by predators out in the open. But there were dreams and nightmare, the unexplained visions, and affect of what? What caused the visions seen at night that were good or bad, heaven or hell. So our ancestors had knowledge, they could see the Sun rise, they had affect but no cause, they did not understand why, a psychologically intolerable situation. They knew their dreams, visions of beauty and fear, an affect with no cause. So they balanced the equation with superstition and called it God. God is the filler in the cracks in our evolved mind.

This is a great post, anyway I just think it's great. I mean, that's pretty much it, right there.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Cite134

Quote from: "Tank"God was the creation of human frailty and fear, in particular the fear of the perceived but not understood and unconscious ramblings of the mind. At the dawn of human awareness came the moment of knowledge without understanding. Humans have evolved into cause and affect machines, we see cause we infer affect, we see affect and we infer cause. It's the way we evolved as the ability to second guess our prey and/or predictors is a huge evolutionary advantage. But with this ability came the cost of cognitive dissonance when a cause is seen or an affect is observed we are evolved to balance the equation. And every night unconsciousness came, not in a comfortable bed in a secure home, but surrounded by predators out in the open. But there were dreams and nightmare, the unexplained visions, and affect of what? What caused the visions seen at night that were good or bad, heaven or hell. So our ancestors had knowledge, they could see the Sun rise, they had affect but no cause, they did not understand why, a psychologically intolerable situation. They knew their dreams, visions of beauty and fear, an affect with no cause. So they balanced the equation with superstition and called it God. God is the filler in the cracks in our evolved mind.

Just my $0.02

Agreed.

Cite134

Quote from: "TheJackel"
Quote from: "Cite134"That's the problem with theists. They try to attacth all of these 'ultimate' attributes to god to the point where he MUST exist. However, logic won't allow that. This is where contradictions arise. Plus, how in the hell would any human being KNOW that there is a deity whose existence is supported by infinity? -__-. It's all faith. People believe because they want to believe, regardless of evidence given or lack thereof.

The simple answer is that no mind can create complexity or existence because itself requires them both in order to exist at all.. Creationism is laughable. The Best logical answer you can have is that the answer must solve infinite regress and represent a universal set of all sets.. And this answer must be impossible to not exist. Well, so far there is only one answer that can sufficiently be validated to solve infinite regress, and be a set of all sets! So what is it you say?, Well, it's ENERGY!!!  Energy = all matter, information, and spatial dimension.. It's literally not possible to have a -1 spatial space/capacity, or -1 energy.. Thus the riddle is solved, and the rest is just semantics of how exactly it all works from zero base energy and up..

Cheers!

This is true. What I meant by attaching 'ultimate' attributes, is that theists make numerous justifications to define god when certain questions are posed in attempt to understand god's actual nature of existence, such as: "God is intelligent AND  infinite" or "God is not bounded by time" etc, etc. I was just saying that such assumptions require evidence. On another note, I wholly agree with your post. :)

The Black Jester

Just my $0.02

Agreed, agreed, agreed.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

elliebean

Just my $0.02
So Jesus was born in a bag of Mangers?

[spoiler:3mz0lxi3][/spoiler:3mz0lxi3]
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tank

Not quite, Jesus IS a bag of Mangers!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Squid

Martin TK

God did not create man in his image, instead man created god in HIS image.

I could give you several examples, logically, why god can not exist, and in doing so would show that there was never an issue of who created god.  There are a lot of good books out there to read, two very interesting ones that keep it pretty simple, are Dan Barker's "Godless" and Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" and I'm sure that there are many others.

But, I do applaud the question, and the majority of the answers were spot on.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

EaglesFanPhila

According to theist, God was "always."