Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What Americans believe the next 40 years hold

Started by SSY, June 24, 2010, 03:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/22 ... e-in-2050/

I provide the most depressing section for your perusal
QuoteForty-six percent do not believe that Jesus Christ will return while 41 percent say it probably will happen. Fifty-four percent of Protestants overall believe it will happen, as do 58 percent of white evangelical Protestants. Fifty-seven percent of Catholics don't believe it. Seventy-two percent of those who identified themselves as unaffiliated with any religion also don't believe it. Sixty-four percent of college grads dismissed the possibility while 59 percent of those with a high school education or less believe Jesus' return is likely to happen.

Honestly, this is madness, I had always thought that most Christians believed in a more vague, airy fairy way than this, but believing the end is nigh, in such high numbers is truly worrying to me. It never ceases to amaze me how determined people are to believe they are special, I suppose living in special times is an outlet for those needs.

Do you think many of them would be up for a bet? Rapture in next 10 years or you pay up sort of thing? I know that guy who promises to deliver messages must be making a killing, I want a slice of the action.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

skwurll

Sometimes I get the suspicion I'm surrounded by idiots.

Other times I know I am.

Will

I predict a slow decrease in religiosity in the United States over the next 40 years.

I also predict 6 wars, a further divide between rich and poor, 3 more Wall Street bubbles, 15 seasons of American Idol, a celebrity actor being elected president again, and a housing crash that makes this one look like a joke.

But don't worry. I also predict the return of sexy low-rise jeans for ladies, eco-friendly technology exploding meaning way more energy efficiency, gay marriage passing, single-payer healthcare popping up on a state level in Washington, Oregon, California, and New England, the Twilight series becoming infamous as how not to write characters, and the RIAA and MPAA being dissolved.

Farther into the future, I predict the eventual colonization of the solar system, ice cream that burns calories, and an iPod that gets injected into your brain that has a 20 exabyte hard drive and a quantum processor.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

skwurll

Quote from: "Will"I also predict the return of sexy low-rise jeans for ladies, eco-friendly technology exploding meaning way more energy efficiency, gay marriage passing, single-payer healthcare popping up on a state level in Washington, Oregon, California, and New England, the Twilight series becoming infamous as how not to write characters, and the RIAA and MPAA being dissolved.

Farther into the future, I predict the eventual colonization of the solar system, ice cream that burns calories, and an iPod that gets injected into your brain that has a 20 exabyte hard drive and a quantum processor.

All of that sounds awesome.

Especially the sexy low-rise jeans! :P

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Cite134

Quote from: "Will"I predict a slow decrease in religiosity in the United States over the next 40 years.

I also predict 6 wars, a further divide between rich and poor, 3 more Wall Street bubbles, 15 seasons of American Idol, a celebrity actor being elected president again, and a housing crash that makes this one look like a joke.

But don't worry. I also predict the return of sexy low-rise jeans for ladies, eco-friendly technology exploding meaning way more energy efficiency, gay marriage passing, single-payer healthcare popping up on a state level in Washington, Oregon, California, and New England, the Twilight series becoming infamous as how not to write characters, and the RIAA and MPAA being dissolved.

This made me smile. :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "SSY"http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/22/what-americans-think-the-world-will-look-like-in-2050/

I provide the most depressing section for your perusal
QuoteForty-six percent do not believe that Jesus Christ will return while 41 percent say it probably will happen. Fifty-four percent of Protestants overall believe it will happen, as do 58 percent of white evangelical Protestants. Fifty-seven percent of Catholics don't believe it. Seventy-two percent of those who identified themselves as unaffiliated with any religion also don't believe it. Sixty-four percent of college grads dismissed the possibility while 59 percent of those with a high school education or less believe Jesus' return is likely to happen.

Honestly, this is madness, I had always thought that most Christians believed in a more vague, airy fairy way than this, but believing the end is nigh, in such high numbers is truly worrying to me. It never ceases to amaze me how determined people are to believe they are special, I suppose living in special times is an outlet for those needs.

Do you think many of them would be up for a bet? Rapture in next 10 years or you pay up sort of thing? I know that guy who promises to deliver messages must be making a killing, I want a slice of the action.

I'm not sure why this is bad news; compared to my youth, these are starkly positive numbers.

This is a process, and not an event.  Give it time.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

Quote from: "SSY"I suppose living in special times is an outlet for those needs.

Our time is not a fraction more special than that when Seventh Day Adventists were formed... Any one knows that story?

I'd say that the need to feel special and unique is the same need that drives people to call their time special. What's so special about 2010? There are wars, yet there are always wars. There is an economic crisis, yet that's not new. People can go to space, but I imagine the frst windmill was an even more momentous achievement. Thye Earth is crawling with bigots and lunatics, but then again, didn't it always..? So how the is our time so special that we need a sky zombie to return and deliver us salvation, damnation and a touch of apocalypse..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Businessocks

Quote from: "Will"I predict a slow decrease in religiosity in the United States over the next 40 years.

Great post!  

I think fear is going to get the better of many people in the next couple of years until 2012 passes.  But I wonder what the tour guides in Mexico are going to use as their intriguing hook about Mayan history once that passes?!?

I think religiosity is first going to see a big rise as things get worse. ---------> I agree that another housing bubble is going to burst.  It has to.  There are too many people living in $300,000.00 + plus homes on stagnant incomes.  I think China is going to dominate econmically more and more.
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

GAYtheist

I hope to see an end to religion. With that I think alot of the bigotry would be put to rest. I also think, in the next few years, that not only will NOM be disbanded and Gay marriage fully accepted in this country, but Maggie Gallagher will be in jail.

I also hope that Fred Phelps dies a nice peaceful death, so his idiotic family cannot claim him a martyr.

In the next forty years, we could have a woman, maybe even a black woman sitting at the head of the table at the White House, may the great Noodly One also may her Atheist.  In the next fifty, a gay man could be there as well.

This is all hopeful, and highly unlikely, but hey, its my brain damn it.

John :headbang:  :bananacolor:
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

Sophus

I'm hoping religion declines too but I'm not allowing my hopes to get up. Religion plays more of a role in American politics now than it did in Jefferson's days.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

maninorange

I agree in that is genuinely frightening...

I went to a Bible study recently... instead of going over God's supposed purpose in our life, the leader of the group's first words were, "So... End Times... what do you people think?"
/facepalm
While I did find some pleasure in correcting him on the date of the book of Daniel, the fact that Hitler was a Roman Catholic, and the contents of the Dead Sea scrolls, I'm fairly certain that he's still among those 40something% you mentioned...  :D
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

KDbeads

Quote from: "maninorange"Let's educate them on the prophecies that DIDN'T work out so well... like Mark 9:1 that someone mentioned  :D

Yep, that one is my favorite.  Along with Revelations 7:4-7:8.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Byronazriel

I wonder how many people believe that the events of the Terminator, or the Matrix will happen within forty years?
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch