News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What Americans believe the next 40 years hold

Started by SSY, June 24, 2010, 03:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Byronazriel"I wonder how many people believe that the events of the Terminator, or the Matrix will happen within forty years?

Hahaha, the first time I read this I read "Terminator" as "Tremors" and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

/derail  :blush:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Byronazriel

Both Tremors and Terminator are entire possible given sufficient engineering.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

pinkocommie

Oh sure, the creatures could be engineered.  But if you're trying to sell me on the idea that that level of acting finesse might actually be replicated in a laboratory setting - well, I'm sorry old man but I must heartily and passionately disagree!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Byronazriel

"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Oh sure, the creatures could be engineered.  But if you're trying to sell me on the idea that that level of acting finesse might actually be replicated in a laboratory setting - well, I'm sorry old man but I must heartily and passionately disagree!

Hey, Reba's performance as an ignorant redneck was spot-on.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Ihateyoumike

I too would like to see a decrease in religiousness in the u.s. in the next 40 years, but sadly methinks the worse things get, the more people turn to their imaginary skydaddy for help.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Ã¥scertain

these statistics seem to coorelate with the idiocracy I come across everyday.
put down the bible, pick up the text book.

Byronazriel

Personally I think people would be slightly less bonkers if they actually READ the book that they base their lives on, you'd be surprised just how many "deeply religous" types have never read more than a few pages at most. They're content with being spoonfed by their church leader person.

And most of the people who actually have read the bible cover to cover are people who are either doing so for academic reasons, or because they are required to do it.

That's something I can never understand, if you're going to believe in something, build your life around it, and use it as the foundation of your philisophical beliefs... shouldn't understanding, researching, and questioning it be a priority!?  :crazy:

Most of the theologists I've met have been really cool people. Religion is an interesting subject, and if you look at religion from a pychological, anthropological, historical, and philisophical standpoint while comparing it to other religions you understand it better.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Personally I think people would be slightly less bonkers if they actually READ the book that they base their lives on, you'd be surprised just how many "deeply religous" types have never read more than a few pages at most. They're content with being spoonfed by their church leader person.

And most of the people who actually have read the bible cover to cover are people who are either doing so for academic reasons, or because they are required to do it.

That's something I can never understand, if you're going to believe in something, build your life around it, and use it as the foundation of your philisophical beliefs... shouldn't understanding, researching, and questioning it be a priority!?  :crazy:

Most of the theologists I've met have been really cool people. Religion is an interesting subject, and if you look at religion from a pychological, anthropological, historical, and philisophical standpoint while comparing it to other religions you understand it better.

I think most of them feel that their Bible-reading requirements are met by the few verses they get in church on Sundays.  What they don't realize is that this opens them up to cherry-picking, so that they are subtly manipulated.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

DropLogic

Jesus Christ...the comments on that article caused breakfast and yesterdays dinner to creep up my throat.  Thank you internet for highlighting the MASSIVE ignorance in this world..../ :brick:  :brick:  :brick: